Battlax 021

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has put a set of the Battlax 021's on their FJR? I am having some put on right now, so if no one responds, I will report back in a week or two.

I have been running a set for about 2500 miles so far. Very happy with the rear tire as far as feel and control in turns. They also have very good wet grip as I have put several hundred miles on in the rain.

OK, now for my front tire. Not happy at all! Nobody else seems to be having this issue but my front tire sounds like I'm running a knobby tire from a dirt bike. And at highway speeds there is a hum to the tire, not enough to call it a vibration but you can feel it in your hands. I have played with tire pressures and nothing seems to change? Please let me know if you experience this.

JW

Ah. Did a search under Battlax, and didn't find much. Should have tried BT-021. Sorry, 30 lashes for me.

I have been running a set for about 2500 miles so far. Very happy with the rear tire as far as feel and control in turns. They also have very good wet grip as I have put several hundred miles on in the rain.
OK, now for my front tire. Not happy at all! Nobody else seems to be having this issue but my front tire sounds like I'm running a knobby tire from a dirt bike. And at highway speeds there is a hum to the tire, not enough to call it a vibration but you can feel it in your hands. I have played with tire pressures and nothing seems to change? Please let me know if you experience this.

JW
They put it on backwards?

the BT front cups very quickly also. After 2500 miles you should see it

Not always. My BT-020's didn't have any problem with cupping until the last 200 miles, out of 10K.

I will report on the 021's tomorrow after I get a few hundred miles in.

Not always. My BT-020's didn't have any problem with cupping until the last 200 miles, out of 10K.

I will report on the 021's tomorrow after I get a few hundred miles in.
My BT020's were getting badly cupped after 7800 km's (4700 miles)

I do a lot of sport riding with R1's and Gixers, I'm pleased with the bridge stone sticky hold on the road, but the life is less than stellar...

I think i will try either the Michelin Pilots next or a Pirelli Diablo Corsa.

No noise from the front of my FJR with the new Bt021's nothing out of the ordinary. I find with the new venting up front there is always some wind and road noise on the 06+ JFR's....

W118 wrote:

My BT020's were getting badly cupped after 7800 km's (4700 miles)I do a lot of sport riding with R1's and Gixers, I'm pleased with the bridge stone sticky hold on the road, but the life is less than stellar...
That actually not bad if you are carrying a trunk, bags and weigh 220+. The Pirelli's and Michelin's won't give you any more if you are riding aggressively. Both good products but you just can't have everything. Sticky rubber + aggressive riding = short tire life, especially with a heavy FJR or rough surface roads. The Pirellis feel good. Michelins are a little vague but nice. The BT021's are stickier yet but wear is faster than the 020's. Not prone to cupping though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the 021's on the bike since this last Sunday, the 17th. With a little creative scheduling at work, I have managed to put on just under 800 miles. most of it on the slabs around the Chicago area.

The cornering performance of these tires is great so far. No question they are better in the corners than the 020's were. I have the same "Hum" as JWilly does from my front tire, though it doesn't sound like mine is as bad as his. I can here the front at lower speeds, but at highway speeds the wind noise drowns it out. No vibration from the front tire, but when I am costing to a stop it sounds like my front tire is one of the all terrain tires from my F350.

No flat spots yet, and the tread seams to be wearing OK. I have never had a tire last less than 8K on any of my bikes, including my V-Max, which was harder on tires than the FJR is. Must be the super smooth Chicago area roads.

I was caught in 3 rain storms in the last few days, and the tires were very good when wet. I tend to ride VERY conservatively when it's raining, but I still thought they held the road well.

After 800 miles I would rate the tires at 8.5 to 9 out of 10. The noise from the front being my biggest complaint.