Best Basic GPS? Just need to see the route?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have read a lot of info. I dont want to talk to anyone unless I have to. I dont listen to music. I just need basic GPS that is good to see screen and guide me. I must be a crazy person everyone seems to have latest gadgets to talk, listen to music, talk on phone, other bikes, passengers, and all that. I dont want to hear anyone when riding. Just mine thing I guess. Any advice on GPS woul dbe great? Yes i am new to forum and just trying to learn more on many topics? I do searches and read for hours and sometimes dont get the info so bare with me please. Thank you.

I have read a lot of info. I dont want to talk to anyone unless I have to. I dont listen to music. I just need basic GPS that is good to see screen and guide me. I must be a crazy person everyone seems to have latest gadgets to talk, listen to music, talk on phone, other bikes, passengers, and all that. I dont want to hear anyone when riding. Just mine thing I guess. Any advice on GPS woul dbe great? Yes i am new to forum and just trying to learn more on many topics? I do searches and read for hours and sometimes dont get the info so bare with me please. Thank you.
If you are thinking about mounting it to your bike then you should seriously consider getting a waterproof unit. The least expensive way to do that, that I know of, is to pick up a refurbished Garmin 2730. I just got one from these guys. You may be able to find a better deal if you look around. You'll also need the motorcycle mounting kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
A standard GPS in a tank bag with a map window works pretty well and you won't need extra mounting. The map windows are not waterproof but very water resistant.

Garmin 2610 that I have does very well. Gets me from point A to point B, with re-routes. And if you get accompanying software (if you want to), it'll allow custom routes. But that's all it does. No MP3s, no bluetooth, just point A to point B. Also waterproof.

Alexi

At the prices they have come down to, you could pick up a garmin 255 for less than 200 most anywhere. Not waterproof, but as said before, it could be put in a tank bag, or just put away if it's gonna get wet. I have an inexpensive garmin and it's been on the bike for three years and when it pukes, I'll buy another. The updates are almost 1/3 the cost of a new one. fwiw.

Regardless of what additional features you do or don't want, the one feature that is a "requirement" for a motorcycle GPS IMO is the ability to upload routes to it. That way, you can pre-plan your route, on a trip or get shared route from a riding buddy, and then let the GPS lead you along. Most cheaper automotive GPSes will not do that.

Waterproof (or resistant) is nice, but you can always stick the GPS in a baggie when it rains, if you ride in the rain at all. Believe it or not, some people don't!

Thanks for ideas i do want water proof. I looked at Garmin site and thought a Nuvi 500 or 550 looked good. Both are waterproof. anyone familiar with those. Like $250 on some sites. I want to mount it with a tech mount to center stem. So the bag idea is out. but good to know if i ever change my mind.

I use the Garmin Zumo 450. You can plan routes, upload them, and it will guide you. No other bells and whistles for the MC. You won't get one for $250, but it is cheaper than the Zumo 550. If you search retailers and find a price too low to believe, there is a reason for that. They are sham retailers who only want to sell you shit you don't need for way, way more than you'd pay elsewhere. They will tell you this other stuff is necessary to have with your GPS. Luckily, I figured this out in time.

But I like the Zumo 450, it's waterproof, it comes with a MC mount, and it lacks all the bells and whistles that add to the cost.

I would also recommend a Garmin 2730 or 2820 from getfeetwet.com.

Great, full-featured GPSs for bargain-basement prices.

You're not crazy, unless I am too. I don't like any of that stuff either. Wifey doesn't want comms because she says she'd make me crazy with all her jabbering.

I picked up a 2730 also, does exactly what you want and a pile less than the 4/5/6XX series. The only think I'd like it to have is the WX weather radar, at best the 2730 will show you the "cartoon" version of weather. But no big deal. Waterproof too with touch screen

I have found that the GPS is more helpful if you listen to what it is saying. I tried to use mine without headphones and I found it a lot harder use and more distracting. With headphone I just listen to the chick tell me where to go and what to do. I don't have to look down very much at all.

Good luck.

Almost Any Garmin unit in IMO. The Nuvi series is descent, and just throw a glad bag and tie wrap around her and she's just as water resistant as the next GPS. Personally, I have the Nuvi 780 as it has all the bells and whistles I'm looking for at a relatively affordable price. Ideally, I would like to get the Zumo 550...Not sure about the Zumo 660 yet.

Regardless of what additional features you do or don't want, the one feature that is a "requirement" for a motorcycle GPS IMO is the ability to upload routes to it. That way, you can pre-plan your route, on a trip or get shared route from a riding buddy, and then let the GPS lead you along. Most cheaper automotive GPSes will not do that.
Waterproof (or resistant) is nice, but you can always stick the GPS in a baggie when it rains, if you ride in the rain at all. Believe it or not, some people don't!
How do ya NOT ride in the rain??? Seems like everytime I've thrown a leg over for a decent ride in the past month I've got rained on! :yahoo: If I didn't ride in the rain, I'd never get back home...

+1 on getfeetwet.com

I have the Garmin StreetPilot 2610. Very basic, very functional. I don't use my mobile phone while riding at all. My music was a simple mp3 player to headphones. I bought a starcom, but I don't want the gps voice talking to me.

How do ya NOT ride in the rain??? Seems like everytime I've thrown a leg over for a decent ride in the past month I've got rained on! :yahoo: If I didn't ride in the rain, I'd never get back home...
Lol... I now what you mean. I dunno, I guess you don't go out if there's even a threat of precipitation?

You know, you wouldn't want to mess up yer pretty motorcycle after you spend all day polishing it and stuff... :unsure:

Thanks for suggestions i appreciate it. Helps a lot. Since I got ya. Help me some more. I want to get the techmount and mount it in middle of stem. Would I need to have a dealer install the wires to battery or just plug it in the power outlet? Or can a person with common sense but no real electrical training set it up correctly? I want a neat look. Clean look. I am sure you all understand what I am saying? I pick my 2009 up on Sat. at eleven in morning so I am excited and am trying to order all this stuff now. So yes all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for suggestions i appreciate it. Helps a lot. Since I got ya. Help me some more. I want to get the techmount and mount it in middle of stem. Would I need to have a dealer install the wires to battery or just plug it in the power outlet? Or can a person with common sense but no real electrical training set it up correctly? I want a neat look. Clean look. I am sure you all understand what I am saying? I pick my 2009 up on Sat. at eleven in morning so I am excited and am trying to order all this stuff now. So yes all help is greatly appreciated.
You can do this many different ways. If you plan to install other things in the future like extra lights or a powlet, then will want to install a fuse block like a Blue Sea. Search or that on the forum and you will get more info on that. Otherwise you can run the power to the battery. It should come with a wiring harness but if it doesn't (some models don't) you can order one from Garmin. I have a Zumo and it comes with all the stuff to put it on a bike.

If you post up in the regional section that you need help installing it I am sure someone local can help you out. If you want to ride to San Diego I would be happy to help.

Thanks for ideas i do want water proof. I looked at Garmin site and thought a Nuvi 500 or 550 looked good. Both are waterproof. anyone familiar with those. Like $250 on some sites. I want to mount it with a tech mount to center stem. So the bag idea is out. but good to know if i ever change my mind.
I run with a Garmin Nuvi 500... It is waterproof and easy to read. It also does not impair my ability to see my gauges when riding. I have it on a center stem mount and it works great. The feature I like the most is the little window that tells me what the posted speed limit is!