Best Exhaust "Tip"?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSUCHLAND

Reaction score
So I'm shopping for some slip-on exhaust pipes ('cause I'm too cheap to get a whole new kit). What are you guys using? Any that are great, or not so great? What should I avoid? I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck. Thanks for your feedback! :rolleyes:

Jeff

So I'm shopping for some slip-on exhaust pipes ('cause I'm too cheap to get a whole new kit). What are you guys using? Any that are great, or not so great? What should I avoid? I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck. Thanks for your feedback! :rolleyes:
Jeff
I just put on Staintunes and the fit and finish is excellent; I like the fact that the restrictors can be easily taken out or put back in to pass inspection (at least in the State of Delaware). With the restrictors in the sound is different than stock but not much louder. With them out the bike sounds awesome; nice idle grunt and no more sewing machine on higher revs. They also look really nice. I did notice that surface scratches show up under certain light conditions once you start polishing. Installation was simple just make sure you have the OEM gaskets. They are definitely pricey but I got them for just under $1,000.

something to consider

i was out at the bmw dealer a few weeks back at their dyno days and i got talking to the dyno tune guy

he was telling me bikes today are shipped lean to pass emisions tests and something as simple as a slip on can make the bike run even leaner

now i dont know if this guy was just trying to drum up some buisness or if he was telling me the truth as he knows it

but its kind of got me spooked to throw on a set of slip ons even when the manufactures websites tell you no mapping or tuning will be required with just slip ons

something to consideri was out at the bmw dealer a few weeks back at their dyno days and i got talking to the dyno tune guy

he was telling me bikes today are shipped lean to pass emisions tests and something as simple as a slip on can make the bike run even leaner

now i dont know if this guy was just trying to drum up some buisness or if he was telling me the truth as he knows it

but its kind of got me spooked to throw on a set of slip ons even when the manufactures websites tell you no mapping or tuning will be required with just slip ons

I have a set of Two Brothers M5 carbon fiber and they are nice and have the P1 tips which give it some sound the harder I get on the throttle. At idol it sounds good. I installed a Power commander before the pipes and tuned it to there stock map which smoothed the bike out and them remapped it for the new pipes. I highly recommend a PCIII. I also noticed the exhaust pipes before the mufflers were turning a little I think due to the lean setting from the factory.

Jeff

Hi J,

I have the Leo Vince aluminum slip ons. They sound good to me,look good as well.

Here's my rant about choosing slip-ons: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=594714

The videos I included for the Hexacone sound samples also includes the Holeshot header. I'm now back to a stock header, so I can get a new video up to show the sound of Hexacones with a stock header. I'll try to get that posted in the next couple days.

completed_bike_rear.jpg

+1 on Remus Titanium finish hexacones. Only thing on my FJR that I consider purely cosmetic, but damn I do love my exhaust. >90,000 miles on them now. I still love them so much I'm about to buy a second set for the 2006.

something to consideri was out at the bmw dealer a few weeks back at their dyno days and i got talking to the dyno tune guy

Actually, a fuel injected bike with O2 sensors will compensate nicely if you swap the exhaust cans. The O2 sensors tell the ECU if things are running lean or rich and the ECU adjusts the fuel mix. Carburetted engines had no such electronics so a low-restriction exhaust would make for a leaner condition that would not be good.

I have been amused by the Harley guys who put drag pipes on their carb machines and succeed in making more noise and less power. You have to re-jet the carbs to compensate. Fortunately, modern electronics does that for you on the FJR.

pete

(+1 on the Staintunes. Very classy look, nice mellow sound.)

Actually, a fuel injected bike with O2 sensors will compensate nicely if you swap the exhaust cans. The O2 sensors tell the ECU if things are running lean or rich and the ECU adjusts the fuel mix.
Unfortunately, that's only partially true. The FJR ignores the O2 sensor in all situations except for steady cruising conditions. It's a narrow band O2 sensor that can only indicate if the AFR is exactly 14.7:1, or if it's leaner or richer. The FJR will compensate for new exhaust while cruising and idling, but when accelerating it will inject the same amount of fuel no matter what changes you have made to your exhaust/intake/engine. If your changes allow more airflow, then you will be running leaner.

+1 on Remus Titanium finish hexacones. Only thing on my FJR that I consider purely cosmetic, but damn I do love my exhaust. >90,000 miles on them now. I still love them so much I'm about to buy a second set for the 2006.

ME too! :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo:

This has been somewhere on my list for awhile now. A group-buy just might make it happen. Anyone have any connections?

Jeff

Type in Beowulfe in the search on the forum to see pics best sounding slip ons you can buy. Less than 500.00 plus come with a lifetime waranty. You can hear what they sound like I have a video posted on you tube just type in yecart341 and you can here the before and after sound with and without the baffles. Beautiful pipes complimented constantly . You do not have to spend a thousand dollars for a pair of slip on exhaust.

Jeff
Put a new set of Hindle's on a few days back... Delighted with the Throaty/Bassy Sound that I was after... Got the Supersport version as opposed to the Stealth Version (with the quieter, tapered cones)...

I luv 'em... No regrets on puttin' those dollars out... Sweet sound, Throaty, Bossy - All at the same time at different RPM's...

Scott

I agree with SixPack. Ive got the Two Brothers M5 Carbin Fiber exhaust on my 2009 FJR and love the sound and the performance that I have gotten with this exhaust. I spent a good 4 months debating which exhaust to get, and theres just no contest. Two Brothers is the best slip on exhaust you can get for your FJR.

Jeff

Type in Beowulfe in the search on the forum to see pics best sounding slip ons you can buy. Less than 500.00 plus come with a lifetime waranty. You can hear what they sound like I have a video posted on you tube just type in yecart341 and you can here the before and after sound with and without the baffles. Beautiful pipes complimented constantly . You do not have to spend a thousand dollars for a pair of slip on exhaust.

I saw the video (many times) and I agree that the Beowulfe's sound was pretty awesome. I'm going to try and get mine later this year. Did you get a performance increase with them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff

I saw the video (many times) and I agree that the Beowulfe's sound was pretty awesome. I'm going to try and get mine later this year. Did you get a performance increase with them?
I dont have any technical data on performance but I just know that the bike runs awesome and sounds really good. I ride more sport than touring because most of my friends ride hyabusas and GXSRs . A lot of my riders ask me where did I get them from because they are different some of them have ordered them for their bikes also and are very pleased with them.for the price the look and definetly that powerful sound at all ranges lifetime warranty and removable baffles you cant beat it.