Best Frame Sliders for Gen I

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AethonFJR

Reaction score
I want to add these to my 04 before I begin this season’s riding and would like some input on different considerations and availability.

'Best' is always an arguable assertion. But that won't stop me from going first...............

GSG-Moto sliders from Wildhair Accessories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take anything Skooter says with a grain of salt. Anyone who blows their clutch out before 140k miles on the clock......well can you really trust him?

:yahoo:

My Motovation sliders held up very well in my last test. It saved me quite a bit in body repairs :D , too bad they didn't protect my ankles. But that bodywork fixed itself.

'Best' is always an arguable assertion. But that won't stop me from going first...............
GSG-Moto sliders from Wildhair Accessories.

What is the advantage of the GSG-Moto over the Motovation sliders or the Meissner Protectors???

I assume the Plastic Protectors are less likely to cause frame cracks than the metal ones but truly have nothing upon which to base that presumption.

Do the GSG-Moto sliders come with a similar mounting system to the others? I looked on the Wild Hair Accessories site and the only photo does not show or describe the mounting system. I did notice that GSG Moto has two “crash protectors” available on the site. One looks like the Motovation and Meissner sliders and one is mounted on an arm.

Which style do you have.

My Motovation sliders held up very well in my last test. It saved me quite a bit in body repairs :D , too bad they didn't protect my ankles. But that bodywork fixed itself.
Did you have any problems with frame cracks after your unscheduled dismount? Are you able to buy replacement parts for the slider that saved your body rapairs?

Did you have any problems with frame cracks after your unscheduled dismount? Are you able to buy replacement parts for the slider that saved your body rapairs?
No cracks,frame or elsewhere on the bike. I used an extra delrin piece from my previous(#2) accident. Even that set held up nice, the right side aluminum piece that fits up on the frame was bent ,along w/ the bolt the sliders are attached to, but no cracks in the frame due to sliders. The car that decided to get in front of me did that damage. :angry:

I did e-mail them,to order another delrin piece,because I couldn't find my last set, but I found them. Luckily too, they never responded to me. :glare:

I have the R&G sliders, they require a hole in the fairing to reach the mount bolt.

Prosperity.jpg

Crash test: a slow low side. Fairing well protected, stator cover scraped, but may have been from a previous incident. No frame damage.

DSC02684sm.jpg

Some other use a bracket to bring the slider into the fairing slot instead of requiring a hole in the bodywork. I think going right to the engine bolt would be stronger, and I've not used the bracket-type, so I can't compare.

Togs are not sliders. They'll protect the fairing if you miss the sidestand when parking, but that's all they're good for.

No cracks,frame or elsewhere on the bike. I used an extra delrin piece from my previous(#2) accident. Even that set held up nice, the right side aluminum piece that fits up on the frame was bent ,along w/ the bolt the sliders are attached to, but no cracks in the frame due to sliders. The car that decided to get in front of me did that damage. :angry:

I did e-mail them,to order another delrin piece,because I couldn't find my last set, but I found them. Luckily too, they never responded to me. :glare:
Pretty strong testimonial!!!! Where did you get your Motovation sliders?

I looked at the R&G link, but not real fond of cutting the fairing to mount them. I also like the dual mounting system of the Motovation. I can not find good photos or info on the mounting system for the GSG-Moto or Metisse no-cut sliders.

Some other use a bracket to bring the slider into the fairing slot instead of requiring a hole in the bodywork. I think going right to the engine bolt would be stronger, and I've not used the bracket-type, so I can't compare.
I disagree. By using the bracket type you are spreading the energy absorbed by the slider over TWO frame locations instead of just one. Stronger, and less likely to do damage to the frame. Also, the bracket type make it easier for taking plastic on/off, and eliminates chance of stripping frame threads from repeated torqing (as some have done) with consant on/off for plastic removal.

What is the advantage of the GSG-Moto over the Motovation sliders or the Meissner Protectors???
I am not familiar with the Motovation or Meissner Protectors. They were not available that I am aware of when us early Gen I owners were looking for sliders. And for a little history lesson, back then the GSG-Moto sliders were called 'Moko' sliders.

I looked at the R&G link, but not real fond of cutting the fairing to mount them. I also like the dual mounting system of the Motovation. I can not find good photos or info on the mounting system for the GSG-Moto or Metisse no-cut sliders.
Clicky HERE

Ken, I bought Motovation's Sliders & barends directly through them [www.motovationusa.com] , good service & willing to answer questions. If you get down to the fine print they have a paragraph or two explaining their take on the alloy/nylon/delrin issues invovled.

Scooter, I totally agree that by spreading the absorbed impact energy onto two bolts would probably have a synergistic effect in better dissipation of the energy. Good point on less wear and tear on the frame bolts as well. And thanks for the Link to the install. I assumed the mounting hardware was similar to the Motovation, but want to know for sure.

Mooseonagoose, I am still trying to find that comparison discussion among alloy/nylon/delrin. Motovation’s .2 pica font is hard to read for the old tired eyes…..

Thanks for the great information guys…..

Ken

Latest posts