Best Gen I Battery?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron_Raptre

Reaction score
Hello all! Time to replace my '03's battery, and I'd rather not settle for the one option (Yacht) in town. I'm up to go somewhere in the $100-150 range; I'd like to make it last.
I am a very casual rider and rarely ride in sub-45 weather (though it does get cold here in UT.) and with my touring work and the seasons it mean I don't ride the machine often nor hard.
What I think:
Lithium batteries are +$$ but smaller, lighter, and have a tough time starting in the cold.
My dad suggested finding a sealed premium grade, +$
User-filled seem to be lowest price and better to start the battery life when you choose. Is there room for breather tubes packed in that upper cowling? Or are they filled up, then "sealed" without the breather?

There seems to be a lot of discussion but few clear decisions. Just looking for suggestions of what brand to buy, and where. Thanks!

Following recommendations here, all the other times this was discussed, I went with the Motobatt.

I've been happy with it.

OEM is the best for me
smile.png

...My dad suggested finding a sealed premium grade, +$

User-filled seem to be lowest price and better to start the battery life when you choose. Is there room for breather tubes packed in that upper cowling? Or are they filled up, then "sealed" without the breather?...
If you buy a Yuasa, you will fill it, it is then sealed for life.

If it was me, that's what I'd go for.

Yes, you can get less expensive batteries, but you are more likely to regret buying cheaper.

Ive replaced my battery evey time with a Westco.... top of the line batteries.

Here's a deal I searched ebay for..... https://www.apexbattery.com/westco-12v14b-4-battery.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=78242866386&gclid=CjwKEAjwndqrBRC16IyeqPicp3ASJAB-vB-cseueU_TYcJfODsyh5veWBKWQoeR_DaLBz9hcd-4QKxoCZePw_wcB

In all honesty - I have always bought my stuff BikeEffects - Jeff has always treated me very well.

https://bikeeffects.com/products.asp?cat=8551

there is a forum discount

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=23

Last edited by a moderator:
The first question I have is what is (was) in your '03? And are (were) you happy with it?

Really, my '07 still has the OEM Yuasa battery in it. 8 yrs, 80k+ miles. Proven service, never let me down. Why change to something else if you've gotten great service?

My last battery was a WPS CT14B-4.

Looks like YUASA Fill-and-Seal is the majority vote. However I was surprised to see they go for somewhere over $110, not including shipping.
Pricey Lithium tech doesn't seem to have found it's niche yet except the benefits of extreme light-weight.

I'm definitely tempted by the WestCo, Warpdrv says they're strong and 76 shipped seems like a good deal. Thoughts?

I've replaced my OEMs when the time comes with Westcos.

I'm sure that the more expensive batteries are replaced less often...but that's just me.

Opinions are like Bustanuts...every Forum has one.