Best Pants?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettB

Reaction score
Parameters include that said 'best pants' should be waterproof and keep the rider comfortable in both cold and wet. Based on research so far, I believe the Aerostitch Darien pants and the Firstgear TPG Escape pants to be the top candidates, but a) I haven't seen anything that directly compares them, B) am still open to other choices :)

I have read someone on this forum say that the Escape pants are 'waterproof even if you sit in a puddle' or something to that affect, I can't find the quote right now. So definitely points to the Firstgear there. Also points to Firstgear for the handy thigh pocket. On the other hand, the Aerostitch pants zip all the way up the leg which should make getting them on and off over boots way easier, which i a biggie for me. And Aerostitch seems to have a huge following on this board and with LD riders in general, so points there (though I have yet to own any 'stitch gear)

FWIW, my current pants are the Firstgear leather overpants, which I chose over the non-leather version because I couldn't stand the velcro down the side on the zipper cover flap. Made getting the pants on and off a huge chore. I am willing to sacrifice some waterproof ability for convenience, and I have indeed worn these pants in near monsoon and stayed pretty dry except for wet stripes on my pants where the zipper was, but not anything I couldn't deal with. I've also worn them into the teens (F) with a good pair of thermal underwear. But.. I've lost over 30 pounds and they are falling off and I need a replacement pair.

Both the above choices have removable liner, which sounds like a good thing, if they don't overcomplicate the general getting into and out of the overpants themselves. The leather overpants don't have a removable liner, so that would be new to me.

Thoughts?

While I can't speak specifically to the Darien pants, I have a two-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter which is made of the same 500 denier Cordura GORETEX material. The Roadcrafter does everything as advertised - it's comfortable, water-resistant (I hesitate to say waterproof because YMMV, but after riding for hours in the rain at WCR I was dry), and super-easy to get on and off. The suit was really stiff when I first got it, and I suspect that the Darien pants would be too. But after 3 years it's got a lot less stiff.

Hopefully someone with Dariens can comment specifically.

ian

My FirstGear HT II overpants have done reasonably well. I've used them for commuting duties over the past 1.75 years (in Seattle weather). Waterproof, easy on and on (full length, double way zipper), and pretty warm with the liner. Not to be worn in warmer climates because they do NOT breathe. Anything under 75 is fine though.

Only issue so far is my fly zipper was broken. And...I hate the copious amounts of hook and loop it uses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the Darien jacket and AD1 pants for 3 years now. If I remember correctly, the AD1 pants differ from the Darien pants by being more of a jeans cut with gussets for more freedom of movement and probably some other stuff I forgot. At any rate, they work great. Easy on and off and waterproof after numerous hours of rain. I ride daily and we get a lot of rain here near Seattle and I've been on road trips with extended rain. The crotch zipper has a generous rain flap behind it to keep rain out and the Darien jacket overlaps to ensure dryness.

This past spring (after almost 40,000 miles on these pants) I noticed some dampness in the seat of my pants after rainy rides. Inspection revealed that the seams on my blue jeans had worn through some of the Gore-tex seam tape. A call to Aerostich and within a week I had a small roll of heat seal Gore-tex tape on hand (the same stuff they use during manufacture). Using the wife's iron, I resealed the worn spots and am back in business!

I haven't crashed in them, so can't speak about their effectiveness there. I did add the optional $30 hip pads for more security.

I have FG TPG's and got them primarily because they were on sale at one of the discounters, New Enough as I remember. I've had these for ~ 1 yr+ and they've been in some bad storms with me and I've yet to have a leak. Worst part about them is the half-zipper on the leg for getting the boots through them.

Mine are a little big so that they fit great when I have the liner + pants on underneath, but kinda loose if it's hot and I only have LD underwear...........

I have always wanted a set of 'Stich's but it just hasn't worked out yet.

I had a pair of Darian pants for about 150,000 miles I replaced them with a Roadcrafter. Like Harald I had a little seepage but not until I'd used them for about 100,000 miles. I got them re-sealed at Aerostich when I had a zipper replaced. I'd considered these very waterproof and rugged. I also added the hip pads.

I have the TPG pants, which are great for wet weather.

But the best pants are those which provide (in order): a high level of impact protection balanced against a high level of comfort, then good weather protection (includes heat and rain and cold).

For me, the Motoport Mesh Kevlar with liners meet those criteria. I wear them now in the rain and sun and snow, and they work great. Waterproof with the liners (or you can pull an overpant in a heavy downpour).

I sure like the ones that MEM is wearing in her avatar. Not much protection but they sure look good on her. :rolleyes:

I have Rukka AirVision jacket and pants and like them far better than my one piece Aerostich.

I rode out to WCR and back and got caught in a fairly good microburst in Salamanca NY today and have always stayed dry. The inner liners of the jacket and pants are the good gortex with quality stiching and have stood up well. I wore this same suit last year to New Zealnd and road everywhere from the mountains to the beaches and saw tepemratures from near freezing up to the 80's and managed to stay comfortable.

The cost of the Rukka gear is at the extreme top end unfortunately. Figure on about $2000.

Olypmia Ranger pants ($200) for temps in the low 80's to below freezing. Great protection, and you'll stay dry.

I believe there are a number of good choices out there. But for me, it is the 'stich. I have both the regular Darien and the Darien AD1. They have both worked remarkably. I only got the AD1s to have something to wear when my regular pair were getting fixed and the AD!s were a prototype that was on a great sale. A staple had poked through the seat on a former bike and chewed a hole in the butt of the pants. A trip to Aerostich and it was repaired and sealed. Do the other guys do that? I wear the AD!s primarily, because i carry my phone in the thigh pocket and I like the covers over the front pockets. I have ridden through heavy rain for as many as 13 hours straight and stayed dry. However, I never got anything wet in the regular pair either. ( I now can use the regular ones for winter activities like skiing, shoveling the driveway, walks in the snow, why am I talking about snow?). I wear them in every weather and all the time. When it is cold I wear them over jeans. When it is hot and I can get away with it, I wear thin pajama bottoms under it all.

The Dariens have worked as promised and the quality and customer service is top notch. Add in that they are made in Duluth Minnesota in the ol' USof A (my early AD!s were made overseas though) and they are a winner for me. I suppose the best I can say is if they were ruined for some reason, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.

just my 2 cents.

mr.paul, from Minnesota

Not on your list but in case you want to add to your research project, the Cycleport/Motoport kevlar mesh pants with Gore-tex liners do many, many things very well including keep you dry.

My FirstGear HT II overpants <snip>...I hate the copious amounts of hook and loop it uses.
exactly why I bought the leather version instead. I was willing to give up both the liner and the likely better water resistance because I just couldn't deal with the hook and loop reattaching itself while I was trying to manage the zipper. The leather pants have no flaps, and no hook and loop to secure the flaps that aren't there.

It looks like the 'Stitch stuff doesn't use hook and loop, and the flaps just are there and gravity, wind, or form keeps 'em in place (was looking for confirmation on that, and that it works).

I have FG TPG's <snip> Worst part about them is the half-zipper on the leg for getting the boots through them.

I have always wanted a set of 'Stich's but it just hasn't worked out yet.
First part is exactly my concern about these, and no one has them locally for me to try... :(

Second part, for list price, I am not that worried about a $250 vs. $297 difference. If either were significantly discounted, well, then it would matter, but less then $50 on stuff this expensive, I'd rather get the best then settle...

A staple had poked through the seat on a former bike and chewed a hole in the butt of the pants. A trip to Aerostich and it was repaired and sealed. Do the other guys do that?
Umm, no. Im used to when something fails, having to buy a replacement. This uncommon customer service leans me pretty hard in favor of the 'Stitch.

Others:

Olympia Rangers - have the same problem for me as the Firstgear HT IIs - way too much hook and loop to frustrate the cr*p out of me

Rukka - ok, I said I can overlook $50 difference, I don't think I can overlook $500

Motoport - I want the outer layer to be waterproof, not the inner layer. I know this is much debated, and means that the pant can't breathe as well and be used as a summer pant, but for me, I want everything dry, so that's my personal preference.

+1 on the Olympia Rangers. Adjustable knee pads and hip pads. As mentioned above, there is way too much hook-n-loop on the leg zippers, but I found some non-stickyback Velcro, cut 4" strips of the "pile" side of the roll, and stuck them to the "hook" side on the pants, spaced about every 4". Voila! only half as much working Velcro for easier use. I had a Roadcrafter 2-pc previously and it was a topdrawer piece of gear, but the Olympia Ranger pants and AST jacket are pretty close and a lot less money.

pete