Best Tires So Far

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brydog153

Reaction score
I just ran my Michelin Pilot Road 2's down the the cord. This is typically when I replace them in So Cal. 22328 Miles on them. That is the most mileage I have ever gotten from a set of tires. Over 135,000 miles on my 05 FJR. Bike is used primarily for commuting to the office. Attached are photos of the front and rear. Fronts look like they could keep going, no cupping at all.

https://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee375/Brydog153/

Wow! And I thought the 19k I got out of mine was a lot!

I won't take the PR2s down to the cords anymore however. They handled like absolute dog shit the last few thousand miles. I found out I ain't THAT cheap! :)

Yo Scoot,

I've got about 12k on my front PR2, and it seems to be doing fine. You said that after a certain amount of miles, yours handled terrible. I hate to sound like a dummy, but what does that mean? What do they do or not do that has such an effect on handling... once they reach that certain amount of wear? I'm not a peg grinder by any means, but I can't tell any difference in the handling on my bike from any time in the past. I go zippin' through the turns (what few I can find around here), and everything seems just fine. I feel so.... green.

Gary

darksider #44

I just ran my Michelin Pilot Road 2's down the the cord. This is typically when I replace them in So Cal. 22328 Miles on them. That is the most mileage I have ever gotten from a set of tires.
Do you only ride solo? Light weight?

I have PR2's on my bike with about 5,500 miles on the rear and I estimate that I'll "maybe" get another 2,000 miles out of them. I won't run anywhere near to the cords however.

With the large amount of center tire wear you have you'd actually be a good candidate for a car tire back there..."If you only knew the power of the Darkside!" :eek: .... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Road surface grittiness, ambient heat, rider throttle patterns, type of road ridden, rider throttle pattern...too many variables to how much miles a certain tire will get you.

However, if the same rider rides the same roads on different brand tires...that review can help you determine whether that tire gets more mileage, or is stickier than the other brand tire.

Mileage projections from one person do not translate to another rider.

Apparently fat, fast riders don't get that kind of mileage. I think it is very discriminatory. :blink:
+1, Gunny; Very well said HotRodZilla and so damned true, Hear-Hear (or as Wheatie always says: Here-Here!)!

DogFunny1.jpg

WOW...22328 miles? :eek: I'd have to push my bike for about 16K miles to get that many miles out of a rear tire. :rolleyes:

WOW...22328 miles? :eek: I'd have to push my bike for about 16K miles to get that many miles out of a rear tire. :rolleyes:
Jawohl und the way that Herr Petey takes curves he doesn't even use the center tread of a tire, petey only uses the sidewalls!

So to respond, this is my commuting vehicle. I way 200 lbs and the bike spends 98% of its time jut running up and down the highway. My commute varies from 300 miles to 600 miles per week. There was one IronButt ride on these also. I have run the Z6's and done about 17K miles, about 12K on the BT021's and lucky to get 10K out of the BT020's. So from my perspective this has been a great set of tires for what I use the bike for.

Scoeter, I aint that cheap either, just lazy. ;)

I can only dream of that kind of mileage out of a set of tires. Higher speeds and acceleration probably do mine in somewhat.

I just ran my Michelin Pilot Road 2's down the the cord. This is typically when I replace them in So Cal. 22328 Miles on them. That is the most mileage I have ever gotten from a set of tires. Over 135,000 miles on my 05 FJR. Bike is used primarily for commuting to the office. Attached are photos of the front and rear. Fronts look like they could keep going, no cupping at all.

Brydog:You've made three posts in all these years? Guess yer out ridin' so much ya don't have time to weigh in on the forum. Dude, we'd like to hear from ya a little more often!!!! Congrats on all those miles on your tires. If I drove just like you, I'll bet I could go 90 k on my Exalto CT...

Gary

darksider #44

Wow, three months! Good job kickin the habit AJ :p . We talked about milage while waiting for our Green Chili Cheese Burgers and I said that the first two sets of tires I ran, I tried to squeeze out as many miles as I could. But the bike handeled like crap for the last 4000 miles or so. I too decided I wasn't such a cheap ass and now put a couple of sets on during the year and run them around 7 or 8 thousand miles max. I like the bike with new tires alot more then I like saving a couple hundie a year. I change and balance my own so it's just the cost of the replacement rubber and free shipping. Well worth the difference in rideability. :yahoo:

Wow, three months! Good job kickin the habit AJ :p . We talked about milage while waiting for our Green Chili Cheese Burgers and I said that the first two sets of tires I ran, I tried to squeeze out as many miles as I could. But the bike handeled like crap for the last 4000 miles or so. I too decided I wasn't such a cheap ass and now put a couple of sets on during the year and run them around 7 or 8 thousand miles max. I like the bike with new tires alot more then I like saving a couple hundie a year. I change and balance my own so it's just the cost of the replacement rubber and free shipping. Well worth the difference in rideability. :yahoo:

Smart man.

Thats some good news. I just put some of those on my bike a couple months ago. :yahoo: I guess I should good for a while.

I have 9000 on a rear PR2 B or C or whatever the heavy duty is.

I have to say the tread looks good but the feel is different for sure. Not ready to change it out yet but is sure feels as if the ride and feel is dropping off a bit. Keeping a eye on it and will spoon new Z8's on when I think I cant live with the ride any longer. Then I am gonna try the PR3 and see what they are about.

I've got a little over 9,000 on my PR2s. They might have 1,000 left, but they handle a little truckish. Lots more countersteering involved. Makes the bike seem heavier and sluggish in the turns.

GP

My problem on the FJR is the front tire wears so un-even. I go through 2 fronts to every 1 back. Its no where near bald but developes a big ridge on both sides on the tire, gets noisey and doesnt handle good anymore. Last set was the michlin pilot road 2s. Someone told me this was normal for a duel compound tire.????????????