beware corbin seats for 2006 fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

818Guy

Reaction score
Got my Corbin saddle this past weekend for my 2006 AE.

As reported by others, it does NOT lower the seat height anymore than the factory low setting.

Also, when I ordered my seat I was very specific to request the exact same seat as on the website; that is not what I received.

Hopefully I'll have pix later. I'm just disappointed at Corbin and their representations: "oh, it will definitely be lower than the stock seat..."

Finally the workmanship does not seem very good, at least looking at the pictures on Corbin's website and what others have posted in this forum.

And for $1,000 I think I have the privilege to be upset about this.

:angry:

Sorry, just had to vent...

As reported by others, it does NOT lower the seat height anymore than the factory low setting.

Also, when I ordered my seat I was very specific to request the exact same seat as on the website; that is not what I received.

Hopefully I'll have pix later. I'm just disappointed at Corbin and their representations: "oh, it will definitely be lower than the stock seat..."

Finally the workmanship does not seem very good, at least looking at the pictures on Corbin's website and what others have posted in this forum.

When I ordered mine (4 weeks ago) I requested that I wanted the same pattern as on the web site and was told that was the heated seat and the non heated seat had no pattern but if I wanted the pattern all I had to do was ask when I ordered it so I did and it came today!! But they forgot to ship the back rest.

Quite like mine. Just the riders saddle. Non heated less 10% at the motogp. Sss OK. Bit better than stock.

Thats a bummer! Maybe they will fix it for free if you make your displeasure known.

Here's the screwy part with my order. I was told on the phone 2-2.5 weeks. I didn't get any email confirmation for my order. I called and they said it was in production but it would take 3-4 weeks. The next day my CC was charged. (I was told no charge until it was shipped.) I called and they said it was being shipped. It only took about one week. I guess that's what I got: a rush job on my seat...

I sent an email to "Customer Service" as well as to Mike (Corbin).

I gotta find a place to host my pictures. You'll see how the "quality" is with my seat. :rolleyes:

The seat is similar to what is posted on Corbin's website but the stitching on mine is horrible. It looks like the seat is 5 years old, it looks so bad.

It does not look nearly as nice as the seat on this bike: https://community.webshots.com/album/551447864uapqkb

I hate to say it, but this is pretty standard fare for Corbin. Over the last couple years on this and the other FJR boards, I have seen A LOT of complaints about Corbins seats. I don't understand why so many plunk down so many $$$ on a seat from a company that gets mediocre reviews when there are true custom seats out there as another option.

To each his own, but with all the disappointed owners of Corbin seats, and complaints of their customer service, you will never see me buying one.

It's too bad. Sorry to hear of your disappointment.

Oh, this is making me feel great about the call to Corbin tomorrow. The seat I got for my wife's ST1300 actually offered less contact w/ the ground than stock. The web site stated that it was 1" lower than stock and I had them do the nose job. It looks lower but is 1.5" wider than the stock seat. Cost me $399. Will post the results. No Corbin for the Feej. Will prolly look at one of the Mayer seats. GRRRRRRRR....

Guess I am lucky here...I llike the seat, it does look as nice as the one pictured in the above link. It is NOT as low as they claim, but I did measure it an it is lower than the stock one (in the lower position) by about 3/4 of an inch....I did not measure with a ruler here, but by the height my heel was from the ground while sitting on it. As mentioned, it is wider, so those with narrow hips like mine will find little diffrence, but I would guess if you have a big ass, you will find more room.

I did not measure from the ground up to the lowest part of the seat, but this is likely what Corbin did.

Matters not to me anyway, the seat is comfortable (this statement after a 1225 mile trip) and I am happy with it. Yes the price was a bit high, but it seems well made to me.

If anyone has issues with their purchase , I do concour you should make your dissatisfaction known. I was asked when I ordered it (from the Florida shop) what color/type cover I wanted. They also told me 2-3 weeks, and I told them it would be REALLY nice if I got it before then because I was leaving on my trip. It arrived in one week...from California...and did not look like they rushed the manufacture of it, looks good to me.

Hopefully they will fix any problems you have with yours.

KM

Uhm, you paid a grand for a saddle? Just the saddle? Hope that price incuded a back seat and back rest or a smuggler.

My Corbin looks great. I ordered it from the Florida branch. I got great service, got exactly what I ordered and in half the time they quoted. With the smuggler. Both very nice and very good quality.

My seat is a bit lower. Perhaps 1/2 inch when I put my feet down. I don't think my big ass is the problem, but my big thighs, otherwise I might even get my feet down more. I do agree though, if you think you are going to get 1 or 1.5 inches closer to the ground, you are VERY mistaken. I think that when you are sitting back in the pocket of the saddle, that you are sitting lower in the bike than with the stock seat, too. At least with my saddle I seem a lot lower into the bike based on the my postion and my view. Wonder if your pan was not trimmed short enough, or didn't sag enough when they moulded it to get it low as it should be.

And of course this thing is a saddle, not a seat. Built more like a horse saddle. So there isn't much cushion. But sitting back in the pocket is fairly comfortable for what it is. I think if your suspension is set up with aftermarket springs and shocks, and the setup is soft, this Corbin could be a very nice saddle. But the bike has to absorb a lot of the road trauma. With the stock setup, and if it's not setup perfectly, your ass is going to get pounded. This may not bother many riders, but my stock AE and Corbin did bother me.

I don't consider this a long distance saddle by any stretch of the imagination, but I found it tolerable, even on 600+ mile days. But it was somewhat painfull. Whereby guys riding a Russell don't even think about it, supposedly. Problem is, as I posted before, the Russell folks didn't think they could get the seat even close to as low as stock for us short people. For me, that just ain't good. I don't like balancing tiptoed at stoplights.

You guys that are having problems should say if you are having them with one store or the other. Wonder if the problems you are having are across the board, or just at the home office? Like I said, I dealt with the Florida branch and things went smooth as silk.

Here's the screwy part with my order. I was told on the phone 2-2.5 weeks. I didn't get any email confirmation for my order. I called and they said it was in production but it would take 3-4 weeks. The next day my CC was charged. (I was told no charge until it was shipped.) I called and they said it was being shipped. It only took about one week. I guess that's what I got: a rush job on my seat...
I sent an email to "Customer Service" as well as to Mike (Corbin).

I gotta find a place to host my pictures. You'll see how the "quality" is with my seat. :rolleyes:

The seat is similar to what is posted on Corbin's website but the stitching on mine is horrible. It looks like the seat is 5 years old, it looks so bad.

It does not look nearly as nice as the seat on this bike: https://community.webshots.com/album/551447864uapqkb
That sucks...send it back and have corbin fix it right,It must be a Monday seat.

I ordered it from the Florida branch.

Good luck...Ed :unsure:

DSCN0654.jpg

I love my Corbin too! I know have over 3000 miles on it and it is feeling better every time I sit on it. I did 850 miles this past weekend without any discomfort. I received mine earlier than expected and it looks exactly like the one on the website. I am happy with my purchase.

I at least received a call from Corbin customer service yesterday. I didn't have a chance to call them back so I'll be doing that later today. I'm also hoping to post a couple of pictures of my seat. My biggest issue is the leather looks too tight on the seat in some parts and too loose in others; it's hard to explain but once you see my pictures and compare them to the pic above and those on Corbin's website you'll understand what I'm talking about.

BTW, I purchase the whole "set" for my AE (rider, passenger and backrest).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that's pretty crappy. I'd send it back. Either for a refund or a total recover. Can't believe they let something like that out of the shop. So much for quality control. :angry2:

I love my Corbin too! I know have over 3000 miles on it and it is feeling better every time I sit on it. I did 850 miles this past weekend without any discomfort. I received mine earlier than expected and it looks exactly like the one on the website. I am happy with my purchase.

My experience with the Corbin matches the above. Feels better each time I ride, and the workmanship is excellent. Also I love the heat.

Sounds like Corbin is hit and miss at least for mail orders. Though I don't have a Corbin on my FJR I've had them on other bikes and been happy with them. However, I did ride in and have them fit and finished while I waited. That was before their recent price spike. With what they're charging nowdays you might as well get a real custom like a Russell, ect.

After phone tag this entire week, I was able to get an email address to send my pictures.

The salesperson did indicate they did have a bad batch of leather so... *shrug*

Seems to me if you want to buy an "off the rack" seat (I did), then screw Corbin and look into Sargent. Great product, great customer service. I've owned both for the FJR and for me, it wasn't even close. If you've got the time and want to do the dance, Russell looks to be the ticket for most of the LD crowd.