Bifocal, safety sunglasses asked about at NAFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonC

Reaction score
When you hit the ripe old age of 40, give or take 21 years in my case, and no longer can see the street names on your GPS or need someone to hold a printed page about 25 ft away so you can read it, then it is time for reading glasses. :(

I use a clear shield on my helmet and wear a pair of sunglasses underneath. The sunglasses are bifocal, and come in 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3 diopter. The also are available in a clear lens version. They are 99-100% UV protective, shatter resistant and flexible.

Now, I can actually read my speedo and GPS and the map in my tank bag!

The glasses are "Cheaters" by Radians, and they run about $10-11 at Safety Glasses USA safetyglassesusa.com. I buy the dark ones for the day and the clear for night. As far as I am concerned, they are every bit as good as the big name brand sunglasses at 7-10 times the price, and most have lasted me for years without need of replacement.

I have them in my tank bag, in my car, in my wife's car, and a bunch of spares in the drawer.

I have no contact with the makers or sellers, etc. Just want to share the info and positive experience.

Ron

When you hit the ripe old age of 40, give or take 21 years in my case, and no longer can see the street names on your GPS or need someone to hold a printed page about 25 ft away so you can read it, then it is time for reading glasses. :(
I use a clear shield on my helmet and wear a pair of sunglasses underneath. The sunglasses are bifocal, and come in 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3 diopter. The also are available in a clear lens version. They are 99-100% UV protective, shatter resistant and flexible.

Now, I can actually read my speedo and GPS and the map in my tank bag!

The glasses are "Cheaters" by Radians, and they run about $10-11 at Safety Glasses USA safetyglassesusa.com. I buy the dark ones for the day and the clear for night. As far as I am concerned, they are every bit as good as the big name brand sunglasses at 7-10 times the price, and most have lasted me for years without need of replacement.

I have them in my tank bag, in my car, in my wife's car, and a bunch of spares in the drawer.

I have no contact with the makers or sellers, etc. Just want to share the info and positive experience.

Ron
I was going to ask you for a link but didn't see it the first time around! Thanks! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using a pair of clear and tinted Radians for about 2 yrs now, around the house. Yard work, mechanics, stuff like that. Although they work great, they're not available in 1.0. Only 1.5 and up. Can't tell you how many times I almost tripped over my own feet, looking through the bifocal part because they're too strong. Well worth the $$ though, I'll say that much.

I've been using a pair of clear and tinted Radians for about 2 yrs now, around the house. Yard work, mechanics, stuff like that. Although they work great, they're not available in 1.0. Only 1.5 and up. Can't tell you how many times I almost tripped over my own feet, looking through the bifocal part because they're too strong. Well worth the $$ though, I'll say that much.
My ophthalmologist said that the rapid loss in near vision starts around 40-44 and levels off at around 60. That's what happened to me. I started with 1.5 and my vision rapidly went downhill until I hit about 59 and plateaued at 2.5.

As they are rated as safety glasses, I also can use them at the indoor or outdoor shooting range. They also permit me to roll my eyes discretely when my wife tells me about the "to do" list. ;)

Ron