BIG Givi bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota_c69

Reaction score
Any reviews on the larger Givi bags....thinking the E55. My wife not clear on the concept of 'Packing Lightly'

How I wish!!! Alas, she is a passenger through and through. She is quite happy back there and will sometimes even sleep. On a YZF1000 no less. :blink: She hasn't been on the FJR yet, so we will see.

I have the E52. Yes it can get filled. I believe that whatever sized luggage 'hole' you have, it will by law get filled, and decisions will have to be made as to what gets left behind.

Thus the thought, how much weight DO you want back there....

Get the 46 and tell her it is the 55.

;)

I wrote a review of my E55 top case last month. I had a V46 on my FZ6, and the small FJR side bags necessitated a larger trunk for when I ride 2UP. I like it, and I think the black lid (extra $$$) makes it look nice on my 2009.

One of the unexpected benefits of having the (much) larger E55 is now I can put my commuter pants and my helmet in the top case at the same time.

I've got the E52 on mine, and it fills quickly. There is also the issue of the amount of weight you can put back there without risking cracks to the sub-frame (Google cracked frame site:fjrforum.com ... there are quite a few threads on it).

As mentioned previously, no matter how much space you have, it'll get filled. When we go 2-up, we each get one saddlebag, stuff I need for the bike goes in the tankbag, and the top box is for cameras, bike cover, snacks, extra gear etc.

Griff

After talking to her it sounds like I get 1/3 of a side bag and whatever I can get in my pockets. I think she is still bitter from me making her carry the backpack back when we rode the YZF1000. :glare:

I did read your review and that is why I will probably get the E55. Thanks for the advice everyone.

After talking to her it sounds like I get 1/3 of a side bag and whatever I can get in my pockets. I think she is still bitter from me making her carry the backpack back when we rode the YZF1000. :glare:
I did read your review and that is why I will probably get the E55. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Wait until you tell her that the top case is only good for 10 lbs or so... ;)

(Givi says 10 kg (22 lbs) and no more than 120 kph (72 mph!)... not sure exactly what Mammy Yammy says, but it isn't much weight for sure... That being said, I think everyone here has overloaded the case AND gone faster (sometimes LOTS faster :) ) than Givi says you can, and so far only one person has lost a Givi top box that I'm aware of

Freeway Soccer!

Cheers!

Griff

I like the E52 I have, but we've not travelled with it. I have, by myself, and can't imagine bringing the missus and her stuff, too. Then again, I was travelling for work, and had laptop, camera gear, etc. as well as clothes and stuff.

The givi rack is much stronger than the stock rack. There are those who want to keep the stock rack by putting an adapter plate on it, but then you're back to the Yammy rated weight of 7 pounds. The Givi rack is tubular steel, and they rate 13 pounds. I've carried 25 several times.

The thing you don't want to do is use a mount that removes the grab rails. Those are part of the load-carrying structure of the rear rack. That forward reach to the front two bolts carries part of the wait. Without them, you get the frame cracks on the rear bulkhead. You can't tell when the bodywork is on, but the rear attachment bolts of the rack are at the front of the load, so the whole loads torques the rack downwards. The grab rails carry that part of the load, so do not eliminate the grab rails.

Like I said, I use the steel Givi rack with my E52, and I've carried 20+ pounds numerous times with no trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing you don't want to do is use a mount that removes the grab rails. Those are part of the load-carrying structure of the rear rack. That forward reach to the front two bolts carries part of the wait. Without them, you get the frame cracks on the rear bulkhead. You can't tell when the bodywork is on, but the rear attachment bolts of the rack are at the front of the load, so the whole loads torques the rack downwards. The grab rails carry that part of the load, so do not eliminate the grab rails.
That's interesting, the SR357 from Givi requires the removal of the grab rails on a Gen 2 bike (see my installation write-up). Do you think the design has changed?

That's interesting, the SR357 from Givi requires the removal of the grab rails on a Gen 2 bike (see my installation write-up). Do you think the design has changed?

You remove the stock ones, but IIRC the Givi rack that takes SR357 (tubular steel, as described byWFooshee) has some beefy grab rails of its own.