Big Guy Fork upgrade

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becoyote

Reaction score
Any words of wisdom for a big guy +/- 300 pounds on setting up his forks with a proper spring and maybe valves?

I have an Ohlins rear shock on the way and figure once that is on the back, I will notice the front that much more.

I have done searches and have found some info but haven't found anything relating to someone my size.

My other bike is an 1150GS with front and rear ohlins. The FJR is a better bike in many ways but not even close in comparing the ohlins equipped GS to a stock 08 FJR. I need to close that gap a bit.

GPSuspension.com, Soqui fork upgrade. Simply phenomenal.

You missed the Group Buy by about a month, but still worth it IMO.

You give them data they ask for and they build it to your specs.

Last edited by a moderator:
GPSuspension.com, Soqui fork upgrade. Simply phenomenal.
You missed the Group Buy by about a month, but still worth it IMO.

You give them data they ask for and they build it to your specs.

Are those new forks, a custom rebuild, or parts to diy? What did that run you?
New springs, custom in-house compression and rebound valve stacks, new bushings, seals, and oil.

I'm 245, the difference is phenomenol. I think the cost was ~800, don't remember, don't care.

They are *that* good.

Oh, they will sell direct to you but prefer you have reputable shop do the install; if not just to keep the number of dumb-ass questions to a minimum.

I highly recommend, if you can, simply call GPS, get a ride-in date and let them do the full Monty for install and tuning.

Are those new forks, a custom rebuild, or parts to diy? What did that run you?
If you're into some DIY including your own fork removal.....look through the links. It's all there including retail price and details of what's redone.

Or, if you don't want to read through the links.....call GPS up and arrange the full meal deal.

I agree the rebuild is the way to go but if you are money challenged like a lot of us the guys at GP are real good at sizing the springs and will send them to you so you can install them at home. If you have them do the job later then you save the cost of the springs. Being a bit of a wide load myself it made a great improvement changing out the springs and using 7.5wt oil.

Being a bit of a wide load myself

Now there's an understatement..... :p

Becoyote: Regardless of the group buy,,,,,, Contact Dave at GP Suspension, they are a top notch shop,,,, Well worth the money.

If Iggy had done the proper search's and not propagated a repeat thread, He would have already told you that.... ;)

Traxxion Dynamics in Atlanta (you could do a ride in).

Best upgrade I ever did and cant be beat for service or quality IMO. They are having a sale 10% off through the end of the year.

They can do springs, re valves, or a complete upgrade with the AK 20 kit (what I did)

Call Lee 770-592-3823 and tell him Fencer sent you. he can answer any question you have.

Becoyote: Regardless of the group buy,,,,,, Contact Dave at GP Suspension, they are a top notch shop,,,, Well worth the money.
Without a doubt. As dozens and dozens of FJRForum members will tell you, there are no more knowledgeable folks that know the FJR suspension system inside out like GP Suspension. That's why we use them for our Group Buys, because they are the best. Guarantee you without a doubt no one in the country has more actual, direct "hands-on" FJR experience the GP Suspension. None. They have done hundreds of FJRs over the years.

They are the ONLY ones that have built custom made compression and rebound kits specifically for the FJR. They do not do generic "kits", they do FJR-specific custom fabrications. Check out this custom hardware below, all designed and fabricated in their shop:

GP-FJR1300b.JPG

Their Compression Kit is composed of a new compression piston, holder, shims, top hat, o-ring, comp bolt. All are new parts that are custom made in-house. Their Rebound kit is composed of rebound piston, holder, piston band, shims, top hat, rebound needle, needle spring, all custom made brand new parts.

As dcarver and countless others will tell you, the GP Suspension forks rebuilds for the FJR have literally *transformed* the bike into the proverbial Dream Ride!!! :D

So give Dave Hodges of GP Suspension a call at 503.723.7793. You don't have to tell him who referred you... all you have to tell him is that you have a FJR.
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

sounds unanimous..

As soon as I recover from buying the Ohlins I will give them a call.

Thanks guys!

Without a doubt. As dozens and dozens of FJRForum members will tell you, there are no more knowledgeable folks that know the FJR suspension system inside out like GP Suspension. That's why we use them for our Group Buys, because they are the best. Guarantee you without a doubt no one in the country has more actual, direct "hands-on" FJR experience the GP Suspension. None. They have done hundreds of FJRs over the years.

They are the ONLY ones that have built custom made compression and rebound kits specifically for the FJR. They do not do generic "kits", they do FJR-specific custom fabrications. Check out this custom hardware below, all designed and fabricated in their shop:

GP-FJR1300b.JPG

Their Compression Kit is composed of a new compression piston, holder, shims, top hat, o-ring, comp bolt. All are new parts that are custom made in-house. Their Rebound kit is composed of rebound piston, holder, piston band, shims, top hat, rebound needle, needle spring, all custom made brand new parts.

As dcarver and countless others will tell you, the GP Suspension forks rebuilds for the FJR have literally *transformed* the bike into the proverbial Dream Ride!!! :D

So give Dave Hodges of GP Suspension a call at 503.723.7793. You don't have to tell him who referred you... all you have to tell him is that you have a FJR.
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

Latest posts