Bigger Rifle windshield or CB with flip?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Rich

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have the Rifle w/s (+5H,+4W), but still get a lot of buffetting. This is due to my size. I'm 6'2" but more upper body. A 3xl HJC helmet doesn't help either. I need to ride with the w/s nearly full up to avoid the front buffetting, but then I get a lot of side buffetting. I'm thinking a w/s I can use at 1/2 -3/4 up would solve my buffetting issue. (???) Right now it always feels like I'm riding behind a tractor-trailer.

Would it be better put on a (same size) Cee Bailey with flip or to use a larger Rifle (probably +8H/+6W)? Is there a ratio between flip and non-flip? e.g. 1" flip = 2" non-flip?

Concerns about the larger Rifle:

- too much stress on the w/s mounts

- handling issues

Thanks,

Rich

Hello,

I currently have the Rifle w/s (+5H,+4W), but still get a lot of buffetting. This is due to my size. I'm 6'2" but more upper body. A 3xl HJC helmet doesn't help either. I need to ride with the w/s nearly full up to avoid the front buffetting, but then I get a lot of side buffetting. I'm thinking a w/s I can use at 1/2 -3/4 up would solve my buffetting issue. (???) Right now it always feels like I'm riding behind a tractor-trailer.

Would it be better put on a (same size) Cee Bailey with flip or to use a larger Rifle (probably +8H/+6W)? Is there a ratio between flip and non-flip? e.g. 1" flip = 2" non-flip?

Concerns about the larger Rifle:

- too much stress on the w/s mounts

- handling issues

Thanks,

Rich
Finding windshield nirvana is difficult, if not impossible. My stock shield had horrible buffeting in the raised position when I was attempting to get out of the windblast. I bought a Cee Bailey shield that is stock width, but 2" taller with flip. I should note that to get the flip, you must get at least 2" taller. That shield is great and is what I use in the summer because it still allows good airflow when lowered and also minimized head buffeting when raised. I also added a Vstream for winter use because it has more width for better cold wind protection along my sides.

It's interesting that the Vstream is basically a +4" inch height shield, yet it has the same head buffeting reduction as the +2" flip CB shield has. So I would consider the flip as equivalent to adding 2 inches height.

Of course, either shield will still allow buffeting if there's gusty winds or when I'm following behind certain vehicles. So I haven't found the "perfect" shield yet, but I can't afford to keep looking. Maybe someone near you has a shield you can try out. I've offered this to local riders and have had one take me up on it.

FWIW I used to use a CB +4+2 and while offering better protection from the stocker, I still had very annoying buffetting issues. After many hours researching(mostly here) I decided on the Cal Sci (+5 I think). Quieter that the stock and CB, and virtually no buffeting.

I know that Gen 1 and Gen 2 shields are different, but you might want to call Mark at Cal Sci for a chat. There's some good engineering behind his windshields.

there's a CalSci for Gen2 in the classifieds right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
VStream did it for me. (6'+ and 32" inseam)

I think part of the effect is that less air is going over the top, due to the twist at the top corners. Ride when it's snowing and you can actually see the paths of the flakes curl around.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems the VStream and CalSci wouldn't be wide enough for me. Although, could a too wide windshield cause side buffetting?

Rich

I'm happy with CB's for both winter (+4,+3 flip) and summer (+2,+2 flip) riding. No noticeable buffeting with either, but they are run approximately 2/3 up most of the time.

Concerning the buffeting, Harald brought up a great point. In clean air you'll get laminar flow over and around the windshield. I've found P/U trucks and Minivans have some of the worst turbulence when following them...even from quite a distance.

Good luck with the search!

--G

I really like my Rifle Windshield

I am 5 ft 11 inches tall, have a 32-inch inseam, and weigh 210 lbs. I have a Russell seat that is an inch or two higher than stock. had a Rifle Windshield (+5 inches tall and +4 inches wide). I needed to go an inch taller when I added a custom shock that raised the back of the bike another inch. The extra inch was needed mainly on the interstate.

For you a larger Rifle might be the way to go. I have the impression that they will make a shield to order. I would go for a shield tall enough to be at least 1/2 inch from full extension with the top of you helmet in quiet air. The air pocket of my Rifle is just barely wider than my shoulders and an inch over the top of my helmet. If the rough air is from the sides they may be able to make the shield wider. My shield is very quiet but large enough that I try to avoid adjusting the shield at higher speed to avoid stess on the mechanism.

Have you considered adding a Laminar Lip to your existing windscreen? I, too, have a freakishly long torso and the Yamaha touring screen was creating a lot of buffeting. Adding the Laminar really helped. It certainly is a less expensive option than buying another windshield.

Have you considered adding a Laminar Lip to your existing windscreen? I, too, have a freakishly long torso and the Yamaha touring screen was creating a lot of buffeting. Adding the Laminar really helped. It certainly is a less expensive option than buying another windshield.
I'm with the big fish on this one. LL helped me out a bunch, even with the stock screen.

The Laminar Lip might be a cheaper solution. It may allow the w/s to be tilted down some, which may help reduce the side buffetting.

Thanks,

Rich

I'm with the big fish on this one. LL helped me out a bunch, even with the stock screen.
Gunny on the LL. It mounts with 3M dual locks so you could move it around between your stock windshield and the Rifle to see what works.