Bike alarm input please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane

Reaction score
All,

Searching here for "Gorilla" turned up preciious little, so here's a ?.

The Gorilla alarm is being advertised for around $70.00 lately, but the decibel rating, and stand-alone horn, do not impress on paper.

Here's a link to the one in question. online store

Any opinions?

Shane

All,
Searching here for "Gorilla" turned up preciious little, so here's a ?.

The Gorilla alarm is being advertised for around $70.00 lately, but the decibel rating, and stand-alone horn, do not impress on paper.

Here's a link to the one in question. online store

Any opinions?

Shane
I have no experience with the "Gorilla" so I can't be much help in your specific question.

I can help with my past and in what I am using.

First, I have never had an alarm on any bike until my GSXR. I never felt that my previous bikes, including the FJR, was in any danger of being taken. That was my "feeling" and a big equation in why we protect this stuff other than money.

Second on the GSXR since it is a sport bike and one of the highly stolen along with Harleys and since I work in a city right next to DC and theft around here of bikes and cars is high I wanted an alarm.

Now, we both know an alarm that sounds as loud as it may be no one pays attention to them today and good thieves can bypass them in matter of seconds. So what to do.

I wanted an alarm that would notify me because after all I am the only one who really cares about my bike.

Mine has a perimeter sensor that uses microwaves to detect movement.

It also has a tilt sensor so once it is moved it goes off.

It also has an ignition kill switch as many get their bikes stolen in person and as the thief drives off I can kill the ignition.

Mine also has a few different modes but the one I like is it doesn't make any sound at all, no warning beeps, no loud siren when it does go off it just pages me and I can go after them.

Lastly I also chain it up when at work so this can delay them enough time to set off the perimeter alarm so hopefully I can get down fast enough and call the police.

You get what you pay for, but an alarm is not enough you have to have a plan and this is mine.

www.kneedragers.com

Scorpio SR-i500 and they have a few different packages.

Edited: Mine also has a capacitor that stores energy so that if the power is cut to the alarm it still pages me. Of course by this time the alarm has already gone off anyway.

Good luck and remember, the theft of bikes is usually a group of guys that pick the bike up and actually throw it into a truck or van. The amount of time we are talking is very little. Best to have multiple measures...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Gorilla installed, since 2002. Had no problems with it so far - kept more than a few prying fingers off the bike - loud enough to hear when you're in a cafe or motel room. 80db I think.

Cost me $89.99 at the time.

I stopped using alarms like Gorilla; drained the battery if I didn't fire it up for a few days and forgot to hook up the trickle charger. I was never impressed by the proximity alarm either; I once came out to find a kid sitting on my bike and he didn't trip the alarm. On the feejer I slap on a Xena alarm lock. Motion, like picking it up, will trigger the alarm that's loud enough to hear when I'm inside a cafe or motel room. And the bright red lock on the front wheel is a visible deterent to all but the most dedicated of thieves. Perhaps not as convenient as just pushing a button on the fob but IMHO just as effective and a bit cheaper.

Yeah, dwavey...I hate it when I'm in the redlight district at the local "motel" and someone wants to scoop up my scoot. Really ticks off the hooker I am with when I jump up and leave the room......

I hear ya odot. What's worse though is when I jump up and run out only to find a kid sitting on my bike and the kid looks at me and asks if he can talk to his mom now that I'm finished :D

That will work as long as them four 300lb guys stealing your scoot don't have a white van with valid registration.

+1 on the Scorpio.

Purchased mine through wingworx a couple years back. No problems with draining the battery, install was easy with the factory connector and the perimeter sensor has adjustable sensitivity and works well.

Add a Xena to the front disc and a BIG cable around the rear subframe and wheel, tied to something substantial and you're good to go.....(Sorry got a little carried away) :p

--G

+1 on the Scorpio.
Purchased mine through wingworx a couple years back. No problems with draining the battery, install was easy with the factory connector and the perimeter sensor has adjustable sensitivity and works well.

Add a Xena to the front disc and a BIG cable around the rear subframe and wheel, tied to something substantial and you're good to go.....(Sorry got a little carried away) :p

--G
+2 on the Scorpio!

At around 350 +, It's not the cheapest... But it does work and has two-way comm from the bike to the remote.

If anyone is serious about buying the Scorpio, Kneedraggers is offering a free factory wiring kit (normally about $20) and they make one for the 03-04 bike which I would bet would work for the 05 at least also but don't quote me on that.

If you don't get it free, please don't pay for it. The GENeric wiring harness is very easy to use and is what I used. No splicing of wires on this section.

If you get the Ignition kill option you will have to splice this wire as it is wired in series.

One word of caution on this and take it for what you will:

The ignition kill is made to wire to the ignition circuit.

However if you call Scorpio they will suggest wiring it to the fuel pump and their reason to me made great (SAFETY) sense.

The ignition circuit is a high voltage circuit and as you go faster and rev higher the high voltage can actually send a false signal to the unit and cut your ignition. (I DON'T HAVE TO TELL YA THAT'S A BAD THING)

So their suggestion was to use the fuel pump circuit and it would kill the engine in about 4 seconds.

The system is very easy to install...

I did call to confirm color of wires and location for the ignition kill which is how I got my information and the colors were different from what was in the instructions. I used a test light to confirm turn signals and a power when on wire, no big deal.