Bike down part two, tuning a high performance suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camera56

Reaction score
This is sort of a follow up to the now lengthy thread on my fragged 06. Some information and a question.

I recently had the following installed: Hyperpro front springs and oil (progressive wind) and super duper rear unit with external reservoir and high and low speed compression damping (type 468). Rear shock was built to spec and springs were speced to me. Installed by dealer to hyperpro specs. Dealer set sag. Though i didn't do more than eyeball the sag prior to the fateful ride, my butt said it was right if not a bit stiff in back.

Prior to riding, i reset all the compression and rebound damping on both ends to make sure they were set to spec. Front forks were preloaded to two rings and compression and rebound were set roughly mid way (12 and 12 clicks). Preliminary bounce test on front felt good on rebound.

Rear was set as follows. Compression (Low 16 clicks from open; high 12 from open) out of 30 clicks, rebound 15 clicks from open (no damping) out of 48 clicks. Hyperpro recommends "as little compression damping as possible" with no more than 10 clicks different on the low/high. Hyperpro specified 3-5 clicks of rebound which seemed way low to me given the 48 clicks so I upped it. Again, i did the bounce test and the rebound didn't seem excessively fast to me but I confess I didn't do this a click at a time.

So after all that, I wonder if the suspension set up might have played a roll in my low speed low side slide which occurred, as nearly as i can recall as follows:

Shifted weight well inside the centerline of bike with counter pressure to hold it up.

Look through turn and release bars

Bike flopped in as I

Rolled on the throttle.

Rear tire began to slide out from under me and the bike went down.

Smooth pavement

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
Yeah, you blew the turn. The bike didn't fail you - you failed you. The suspension had nothing to do with it unless it was broke somewhere or your tires were severely underinflated (in which case again, you failed you). Get over it and move on. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts?
Yeah, you blew the turn. The bike didn't fail you - you failed you. The suspension had nothing to do with it unless it was broke somewhere or your tires were severely underinflated (in which case again, you failed you). Get over it and move on. ;)

Yeah, that was my conclusion, but having literally ridden it for about 20 miles and about 4 turns with the new gear, I'm just checking to make sure.

I bet pre-occupation had much to do with it.

How much were you concentrating on riding, versus how much were you thinking about the suspension changes, and other modifications?

I've seen this many times -- concern with the modification and how it affects things (wanting instant gratification on the farkle), and not really any concentration on what the rider should be doing.

Well -- I feel for 'ya bro -- get that frame replaced, get 'er fixxed up/replaced -- and move on... mark it up.

sux -- but at least it's all just metal and plastic, and no flesh. Easy to bolt on a new frame (ymmv), but harder to heal.

good luck!

I bet pre-occupation had much to do with it.
How much were you concentrating on riding, versus how much were you thinking about the suspension changes, and other modifications?

I've seen this many times -- concern with the modification and how it affects things (wanting instant gratification on the farkle), and not really any concentration on what the rider should be doing.

Well -- I feel for 'ya bro -- get that frame replaced, get 'er fixxed up/replaced -- and move on... mark it up.

sux -- but at least it's all just metal and plastic, and no flesh. Easy to bolt on a new frame (ymmv), but harder to heal.

good luck!
Actually i was thinking that the leather on my Rich's saddle was too freaking slippery . . . to your point. Just checking off the boxes and definitely moving on. Nice Mille btw.

Camera,

I feel for ya, I do... You certainly made a number of changes to that ride... 20 miles or not.

That stuff can take some getting used too, let alone what rhulcher said about your mind being more on the mods than on riding.

Given all the factors, suspension mods, especially if it was stiffer, the 06's perpencity to lurch in that speed range, slippery paint, etc, etc...

But it is what it is... You're safe and that's all that really matters.

Get it fixed, or replaced and get back on that horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shifted weight well inside the centerline of bike with counter pressure to hold it up.Look through turn and release bars

Bike flopped in as I

Rolled on the throttle.

Rear tire began to slide out from under me and the bike went down.

Thoughts?

After reading your post, it reminded me of one of my first impressions of my new '06 FJR. The additional weight (I also have a Ducati that weighs 150 pounds less) combined with a slight tendency to "fall into" turns faster than I was accustomed to was a little scary. In my case, I think this is because the FJR likes or requires less "body english" than I'm used to using with the Ducati.