Bike fell while on center stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrwanabee

Reaction score
Hi, my bike fell while it was parked on center stand. Not sure how this occurred but there is some damage and i need your assistance. First I was thinking how could happen. I have used the center stand and never had any problems. I have some questions.

I need to replace this bracket and i do not know the oem part number.

DSC00643.jpg

DSC00644.jpg

The mirror and the mount as you can see were damaged. I replaced the stock mirrors with fz1 mirrors but the mirror mount bracket was damaged and some how pushed out. My question comes in two parts.

1. Should I replace the fiberglass panel because it is slightly cracked?

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00659.jpg

DSC00655.jpg

2. Should I make any corrections to the mirror mount bracket? The winshield is about inch inch from the mirror mount.

The left saddlebag was damaged. Any ideas on how I can fix it. For now I will keep the bags off the bike. Can replace just that piece of the component.

DSC00650.jpg

DSC00649.jpg

Has anyone used the following?

1.Dynatron Flexible bumper repair kit, it is a 2 part epoxy type product that dries very strong... it dries with most of the properties of plastic... it expands & contracts through temp extremes the same as plastic, & it is just as flexible as plastic.... this product is used by professional body men to repair plastic bumpers & such, & is available at body shop supply stores or so they say…

2. 3M Automix 5895 Plastic Repair (Flexible Parts Repair Kit)

IMG_0375.jpg

You can locate all part numbers Yamaha here...

Yamaha Parts online

Someone with more personal experience repairing the FJR plastic parts should speak about mending materials. I have found both ABS and epoxy glass material in my drillings, grinding etc. of the FJR. I think your biggest challenge will be gaining access to the underside and maintaining clearance from the repair.

Thanks .I totally missed it. It was #78 3P6-21445-00-00 STAY, MUFFLER 1 on the STAND FOOTREST section. I can just imagine how much this will cost.

I've not used this source, but many have with good results.. University Motors, Gary IIRC? for the best prices on feejer parts.

Do you have full coverage insurance? It looks like you easily have enough damage to exceed most deductibles, especially if the sub frame (or whatever holds that mirror) is bent. Most insurance companies won't raise your rates for things like this, so it might be worth having an adjuster take a look.

Do you have full coverage insurance? It looks like you easily have enough damage to exceed most deductibles, especially if the sub frame (or whatever holds that mirror) is bent. Most insurance companies won't raise your rates for things like this, so it might be worth having an adjuster take a look.
I acutally do have full coverdge on the bike. I will have to look into it. thx.. :)

I'm curious to know how your bike fell while on the Center Stand. Did the stand break? Did it tip over while parked on soft ground? :unsure:

Unless there was a HUGE wind storm or the stand sank into the pavement there really is no way for the bike to just 'fall over' - perhaps it was 'helped'?

If indeed it was, then you may well have a no deductible scenario - 'hit and run' claim you can make - no impact on your rates for a claim.

Also curious how it fell over on the center stand.

I have difficulty taking the thing off the center stand. It certainly is more difficult, on and off, than my BMW was

If the rubber part of the bumper can be removed, and you remove the bracket, maybe you can get it welded at a local shop.

If the rubber part of the bumper can be removed, and you remove the bracket, maybe you can get it welded at a local shop.
That looks like a cast piece to me.

I didn't think cast and welding played too well together.
Yes, the rubber can be removed. Yes, cast aluminum can be welded (Heli-Arc) and polished smooth if done right. Hope it gets worked out. PM. <>< :D

I concur that these bikes don't just "fall over". I probably had some "help" or a rather brisk blast of wind. Uhm...if it was in your garage, accusing family members could be a dangerous prospect....

Should you decide to repair the bike yourself, University Motors is your friend:ckicky here. I usually make a "wish list" on the Yamaha parts site then "cut and paste" the list into an email to Mike at U. motors. thats the easiest way and he has the part numbers to work with.

The front subrame where the mirror attaches can be straightened with a little patience and a large pry bar (PM me for information). As someone stated, the fairing nose piece could be difficult to repair if you have to remove it...very time consuming.

The footrest bracket is easily removed for replacement or repair. The sidecase cover can be purchased separately. Enjoy exploring the Yamaha parts list.

Good luck, whatever decision you make.

That looks like a cast piece to me.

I didn't think cast and welding played too well together.
Yes, the rubber can be removed. Yes, cast aluminum can be welded (Heli-Arc) and polished smooth if done right. Hope it gets worked out. PM. <>< :D
Very good to know.

Here's the results of my investigation based on the details that you have provided:

1. Bike appears to be parked at an apartment complex or condos? Either someone backed into the bike very lightly and knocked it off the center stand or some kids messing around and pushed it forward. ;)

2. There is a Gang in the area that is out to kill any bike they find with really large Chicken Strips? :p

Sgt. JW

The damage to the side bag leads me to believe that something hit it to knock the bike over. I've seen, in person or in pictures, many bikes that fell over and none had bag damage like that.....scratches and all for sure, but not quite like that.

I'm curious to know how your bike fell while on the Center Stand. Did the stand break? Did it tip over while parked on soft ground? :unsure:
What dose not make scene is. I left the bike around midnight it was upright, 8:00 AM I looked and saw the bike down on hard cement. Now what is really odd the bike was on the ground and had side kick and the center stand still extended...