Bike repaired, 1600 mile shakedown, farkle report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camera56

Reaction score
Friends

I have no idea which forum this belongs in so I'll post and let the admins sort it out.

Lost in the mahem of the post(s) on my bike going down was that I was heading out on a shakedown cruise for a bunch of new farkles in preparation for a ride I just completed from Seattle to Lake Louise to Missoula and back . . . a nice bit of FJRing, just what the bike is made for and a nice way to cap off the summer season. So I never got to do the shakedown. This was going to be it. First ride on the bike since it went over, first test of a bunch of new farkles.

The Bike

After all the drama of the slider, sliding, etc., I elected to do as little as possible to the bike. I had two different mechanics check the frame, and other than the busted-off material, everything looked fine. I bought a set of motovation TOGS to replace the skyways. Despite the fact that the skyway bolt had stripped out, the motos torqued up to spec (as did the stock engine bolts) and stayed that way throughout the ride. I replaced the bent handlebar and the mangled engine cover and left it at that. Total cost a couple of hundred dollars including the inspections.

The Ride

I left Seattle on Saturday for the short run across Stephens Pass to Wenatchee to meet up with my riding pal from Salt Lake. If you live in these parts, you know this run and it's a great 150 miles. Route took me through that same round about. Waived at the big nasty white arrows in both lanes as I tip toed round the circle.

Sunday was a 550 mile day straight north out of Wenatchee, cross the border, up to Canada rte 1, then straight east into Lake Louise. The first couple of hours north of the border are lovely to look at but slow and congested on a Sunday. Revelstoke to Lake Louise is stunning country and offers plenty of opportunities to air it out.

Woke Monday morning to 22 F temp. Gear on, gerbings cranking, we rolled south through Radium Hot Springs on one of the nicest roads you'll ever see or ride. Heart breaking beetle damage to thousands of acres of forest. Road is in perfect shape. Easy border crossing at Roosville. Stop in Cranbrook and have lunch at The Cottage. Stop in Whitefish for coffee and Montana Coffee Roasters (I think that's the name). Big chunk of rte 93 torn up north of Missoula. Dirt-biked the FJR for 20 miles or so on the gravel they've left behind. 500 miles.

Tuesday morning weather coming in from the west. Parted company with my riding pal and headed west on hwy 90 . . . thus titled for my average speed (not including stops). Weather in the mountains. Made it home safe and sound. 490 miles.

If you haven't ridden in the Canadian Rockies and get the chance, do it.

The Bike Part 2

The bike ran like a champ. Nothing more to be said. It eats this type of riding for breakfast.

The Farkles

Rich's Seat. Leather finally starting to break in. Very comfortable. Sliperryness facing. Favorite long haul position with feet on back pegs, body leaned forward onto tank bag. Worth every penny.

Cal-Sci Screen (+2). I'm 6'2". I ride with the screen a red one or two above the stops so that there is room for it to flex and not leverage against the mirrors. Vast improvement over stock. If I lean forward just a bit, the airflow goes right over my helmet. Easy to tuck in and ride in completely still air.

Hyperpro Suspension. Front springs and Type 41 rear shock with high and low speed compression damping. I know people on this site have a high preference for Wilbers . . . my only point of comparison is the stock FJR set up and Ohlins on my Multistrada. After 1600 miles of varied conditions, I would say that the Hyperpro setup is superb. It does everything it's supposed to do. Front end stability is much better than stock. Rear is miles better in every regard. Just bought another set up for another bike.

Progrips, Throttlemeister. Lot's written about these. Great.

Clothing

Gerbings. Socks, Pants, Jacket, Gloves. Superb.

Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar (link). Faboulous stuff. I didn't use the third, thermal layer. Rode with polypro and gerbings if the weather was good to okay. Put in the gortex layer if the weather was crap. I'd buy this stuff again in a NY minutes. In fact, I did. Gear for everyone in my family.

Gloves: Lee Parks, Revit, and Gerbings, depending on the weather. The gerbings are the trick when it's bone cold out. The Lee Parks are spectacular. I have the short gloves and plan on getting the longer gauntlets. The Revit's are fine but unremarkable.

Neck protection. I use the turtle fur neck warmer when it's cold/cold, or the aerostich wind triangle when it's less cold. Don't ask how I know: bring multiples. I can't stand balclavas because of the seam up the front. Didn't need one even in 22f riding with all the other stuff going on.

Ears. I wear orange foam plugs (33db or thereabouts). Good idea to replace for a fresh set evern couple of days at the most. Clean ears and healthy ears. I have a cheap set of speakers from aerostich tucked into my Shoei so I can hear the radar detector. Works fine even through ear plugs.

Ride on

The Bike
After all the drama of the slider, sliding, etc., I elected to do as little as possible to the bike. I had two different mechanics check the frame, and other than the busted-off material, everything looked fine. I bought a set of motovation TOGS to replace the skyways. Despite the fact that the skyway bolt had stripped out, the motos torqued up to spec (as did the stock engine bolts) and stayed that way throughout the ride. I replaced the bent handlebar and the mangled engine cover and left it at that. Total cost a couple of hundred dollars including the inspections.
Told ya it would be good!

Look forward to some more ride videos. Glad to see you on the road again.

Last edited by a moderator:
camera56, are you going to do the Oyster run to Arlington? For anyone else in Western Washington state, the ride will be this Sun, 9/24. Hope to see some of you there.