Bike Washing Caution

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
I washed my bike this weekend, then took it for the obligatory ride to warm it up and dry out all the nooks and crannies. While cruising down the freeway, the bike suddenly accelerated by itself. My cruise control's control panel shows that it's off, but I quickly hit the off button and it stops. I then try to turn the cruise on, but it won't work. The button back-lights were on, but the power indicator wouldn't come on. Then it did it again! Several more times again. So I headed back home with my thumb hovering over the cruise control's "off" button, ready for the evil spirit that had possessed my bike to strike again at any time. Luckily, this only ever happened at freeway speeds; not when driving around on surface streets with traffic, intersections, low-speed corners and traffic lights.

I pull into my quiet neighborhood around 9:30-10:00 pm. Just as I'm approaching my house, my dual FIAMM freeway blaster horns become possessed and start blaring! But it doesn't stop there. As I pull into my driveway, the garage door opened on its own too!

The garage door mystery was the first to be solved. My wife heard me pull into the driveway with the horns blaring and thought I wanted her to open the door for me :lol:

As for the cruise control and the horns, I think the controls on the handlebar received a direct hit from the "jet" setting on my garden hose nozzle. My cruise control button pad had been sealed with silicone adhesive and had withstood the test of a severe thunderstorm with heavy rain and 60mph winds, but I guess it's no match for the mighty garden hose. I've always known that pressure washing a motorcycle was a bad idea, but I never knew the pressure from a garden hose could cause problems.

The horn button seems to have dried out overnight, but the cruise control pad didn't because of all the silicone adhesive. I had a fun time breaking that seal and taking the control pad apart so I could dry it, but it works good as new now. I'll be sealing it again soon to keep it protected from normal wet conditions, but I'll be a lot more careful with the hose from now on.

It's obviously the bike... sell it to me cheap so you don't have to deal with these issues anymore. :D
But selling it after acknowledging such safety issues is just asking for a lawsuit. I guess I'll just have to keep it :)

UP,

Your post makes me a bit more cautious of the aftermarket electronic cruise control.

My throttlemiester has never acted up after a bath.

Good to know.

WW

That's the risk you take when you wash your bike. B)

You probably want to be more careful about how hard you spray the hose and exactly where you aim it when working around electronics or controls. The same goes for bearings and other lubricated places.

Then let everything dry out before riding. If you do get electronics wet you can destroy them if you apply power before they dry.

Your post makes me a bit more cautious of the aftermarket electronic cruise control.
If it was only my cruise control that acted up, then I'd be concerned about it too. Since both my aftermarket cruise AND my stock horn button suffered the same water invasion problem, I'd have to say this is not an issue with the cruise, but just a general issue with careless spraying of the hose. It could've just as easily been my kill switch or starter button also.

You probably want to be more careful about how hard you spray the hose and exactly where you aim it when working around electronics or controls. The same goes for bearings and other lubricated places.
Yep; I think I'll use the "jet" setting for only the grimiest solid surfaces (like the lower fairing) and a much gentler setting on the rest of the bike from now on.

Pickles...

On a side note,

Remember to really concentrate on getting the insides of your pipes and that header sprayed out real good too!!

If they are dirty... They won't be as free flowing.... A lot of folks neglect the pipes man!

:lol: Hahahahaha!!! :lol:

WW

:D

Glad you made it home ok. :) Even though it wasn't funny, I have a hard time not chuckling when I think about it. I wonder

what your neighbor's were thinking? :haha:

When I do wash it, I only direct the hose at the lower half of the bike. I'll very lightly mist the upper half if I need to rinse some soapy suds off anywhere near the handlebars area. High pressure water has no place near the electronic stuff up in the dash. Right now, the only thing that acts up when it gets wet from casual water or when riding is my heatroller for the grips will turn on in the off position. I intend on goobering it up with silicone RTV the next time I have that panel off.

When I do wash it, I only direct the hose at the lower half of the bike. I'll very lightly mist the upper half if I need to rinse some soapy suds off anywhere near the handlebars area. High pressure water has no place near the electronic stuff up in the dash. Right now, the only thing that acts up when it gets wet from casual water or when riding is my heatroller for the grips will turn on in the off position. I intend on goobering it up with silicone RTV the next time I have that panel off.
Careful.....some silicone eats copper traces on circuit boards and such.

Better choice is to use Liquid Tape.

Do a search. I believe it was Ionbeam who posted a "How To" of waterproofing his AVCC switch unit by complete coating the front and rear of the circuit boards.

Careful.....some silicone eats copper traces on circuit boards and such.
Better choice is to use Liquid Tape.

Do a search. I believe it was Ionbeam who posted a "How To" of waterproofing his AVCC switch unit by complete coating the front and rear of the circuit boards.
Also referred to as conformal coating. However, conformal coating a PCB may not have helped in this situation as the moisture must have gotten in the switches, and one cannot conformal coat (or insulate) switches. Here's a sample of the spray-can variety for conformal coating - https://www.techspray.com/conformalcoatings.htm.

You used Armour All on the tires, right? They shine up nice and pretty. Diesel or anti-freeze also works if you are out of Armour All.

(If you are a lawyer, please advise me if I have just given potentially lawsuit-worthy advice.)