Bike wouldn't start.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbfjr1300

Reaction score
2009 with 28,000 km. Had the 'ground spider recall' and 26,000 service done aboud 2 weeks ago. Had a couple of good, long runs since with no problems. Then last sunday, stopped after 2hrs. Went to start bike after 20 min stop and it wouldn't. Instrument panel lit up properly, but starter didn't. Tried turning off and on key, turning 'run switch' off and on, still nothing. While this is happening, I noticed my GPS (garmin zumo) issued the 'disconnected from power, continue on battery?' several times. GPS is wired directly to battery.

Finally I stood up the bike, straightened the handle bars, hit the start button and it started right up. Started the bike about 6 times since, no problem.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the GPS is showing low voltage (as evident by the battery power disconnected message), then I would suspect battery/starter issues. Start by checking the battery terminals for tightness. Other than a bad battery, the other thing that would cause low battery voltage would be a bad starter that's drawing lots of current (but obviously not spinning). If you have a voltmeter, put it across the battery while cranking and verify the battery voltage doesn't drop excessively. I haven't checked my FJR, but maybe someone can jump in with an acceptable voltage (I'd say no less than 11 volts if I had to guess).

It could be as simple as a loose battery cable. It could also be that the dealer managed to botch plugging the harness into the S4 connector.

Starter relay wouldn't make his GPS show lost power. I'm with Alan, probably as simple as a loose cable on the battery itself. Standing the bike up and straightening the bars moved something enough to make better contact.

He says the GPS is wired directly to the battery. That (probably) takes out the harness connector. Now, does directly to the battery mean a forest of terminals stacked under the bolt, or even a bare wire jammed in there somewhere? That's still the first place to look.