Bikejohnny exhaust tips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzard55

Reaction score
My only remaining complaint with my 2004 FJR is the lack of exhaust note. I wasn't looking for the track day bike wail, or the H-D "look at me" noise, just an aural confirmation that the motor is doing it's thing. I love motors, and like to hear them . I have no need of enhanced performance, this FJR has plenty. I have fretted about slip on pipes, they are expensive and might be more noise than wanted. So I took the plunge and ordered the exhaust tips from Bikejohnny.com. They offer several kits, I opted for the one that included all installation tools. Bikejohnny is in Great Britain, and delivery took about five calendar days! In the package I found two exhaust tips of excellent quality, a fabricated hole saw (very nice), a large bottle of cutting oil, two drill bits which fit the pop rivets, and twenty pop rivets (twelve are needed). The instructions say to remove the mufflers from the bike, so as to get the metal particles out of the pipe after drilling. I left them on the bike. I hole sawed the old exhaust outlet, then used a small parts retrieval magnet to pull all of the metal out of the muffler. That worked fine. I started the bike with the original outlets removed, and was suprised at how quiet it was. If it didn't look so unfinished, it would be an option to ride it like that. I then drilled the holes for the pop rivets and riveted the new tips on. It looks factory to anyone but another FJ owner. Installation took about twenty minutes, I was disappointed it was over so soon with no cluster-foxtrot associated with it. The new tips are a good bit larger than the stock outlet pipes, about 1.5" outside diameter. The sound was quieter than anticipated, but during the test ride I found the new sound to be very nice. Still quiet enough to never be annoying on a long trip (I think), but enough that I can hear the motor, both on and off the throttle. Typical of more sound, I felt the bike to be faster, and found myself riding faster than usual, enjoying the sound. I'm gonna have to watch it, 70-80mph comes on without realizing it. The instructions say that you get about 4db more sound. I believe the product is made in Germany. I give the quality of the parts and tools a full five stars, they are top notch. I will have no problems if I ride in a metro area like Denver with it's new bike muffler laws, it would be a rare cop who could determine that my pipes weren't stock, besides the fact that my FJ is still quiet enough to cause no alarm. I'm gonna have to put some miles on the bike to see how it feels on the long haul, but so far I think I got just about what I wanted. I like it!

IthinkyouarethefirstFJRownertoevergetoneofthosethingsinstallitandactuallylikeit.Inmyopinio

ntheyarejustoopriceyandpaylittlebackinthtewayofperformanceorsoundforthatmatter.Ahwelltoeac

isownIsuppose.Thanksforthereport!Enjoyyourmodifiedmufflers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the price of replacement OEM cans from Yamaha. At those prices, I was happier adding a set of slip ons than I was with screwing up the ones that came with the bike.

I just clicked on this thread & whoa.. the first thing i see is alot on small characters ( yeah i cant spell ), that i say

this is going to be work to read.... & TWN's reply, which i just start laughing out loud. people here start looking at me....

TWN you are really funny, i mean really, always have a quick funny reply.

I still havent read the first post, & i dont think i can do it.

I'll resist the urge to dogpile the lack of paragraphs :dribble: :dribble:

I did get thru the read, and it sounds cool. Post up a pic or 3!

Sorry, I don't see the point. Not on an FJR anyway.

With a decent helmet and the obligatory earplugs in I get far more sensory feedback on the engine via the hand grips and seat than through my ears.

The FJR is a stealth mode sleeper sport touring bike.

But to each his own...

I had Holeshot muffs connected to the Holeshot Header. Went back to stock muffs, kept the header. Sound just right now, if the BJ mod sounds like my set up,it's about purrfect, but sound is subjective. I went from quiet (stk), to D&D's (nice, actually, but kinda loud), to the Holeshot system (way loud, 'specially after some time), to a nice blend.

I am really happy with my Blueflame Performance EVO3 cans, great performance, very nice sound (two buffles available to help adjust it to what you want) and quality.

My eyes still hurt from reading TWN's post. Dang...and I have to agree with JamesK about the BlueFlames they are sweet and the sound I likey. Don't think I could drill my stock cans cuz I might want some quiet back on if ever I get tired of louder. PM. <>< :D