Bill Mayer Saddle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick_W

Reaction score
I traded my Spencerized seat & a few bucks to another forum member a little while ago for his Bill Mayer Saddle.

I was not real sure I had made a good decision. I was never uncomfortable around town, but I wasn't in Utopia!

Saturday morning I left Norfolk, VA @ 4:00 AM headed to Natchez, MS. For the first 2-3 hours I was squirming something fierce.

Something happened after the first couple hundred miles, though. By the time I hit Atlanta the seat felt fine. My ass had no complaints for the rest of the ride - 1,060 GPS miles in 16 hours with 7 stops.

I don't know - maybe the things that make a saddle great for long distance riding make it less comfortable for shorter trips. Or maybe my Bill Mayer Saddle is just now getting broke-in.

I'm very impressed now - especially so since this seat was not made specifically for me.

Now to figure out what to do about my knees.

Just picked up a '98 Guzzi V11 EV last tues with a Bill Mayer seat. Rode approx 270 miles. Felt a little awkward at first, but then forgot about it. Hope to really break in the seat this fall with a 10-12 day ride! ^_^ ^_^

knees: highway pegs :rolleyes:
:yahoo:
I haven't found anything that I really like the looks of for the FJR.
I'm glad I did a search and found this.

I did the spencerizing and am not totally happy.

The Bill Mayer seat looks to hve smaller "wings" out the side and I liek that.

I was doing a search before asking the question: does anyone ever sell the Bill Mayer seat?

I guess I got you post as part of an answer.

BTW, if you are interested in the wild bill highway pegs I have a set to sell. I also bought chrome offsets for them that I'd sell, too.

BTW, if you are interested in the wild bill highway pegs I have a set to sell. I also bought chrome offsets for them that I'd sell, too.
Thanks but I don't like the looks.
Suzuki makes a set that bolts right on.

Which bike are they made for? Where do they bolt on to our FJR's? Are they better positioned than the Wild Bill pegs? Come on, give us the 4-1-1 and help a brother(s) out.

Woody

FWIW, I bought my Bill Mayer seat more than five years ago. I remember that, when I first got it, one thing or another just didn't seem perfect. I slid a bit forward, the angle of my back could be better, maybe the sculpting could be deeper - or less deep. Then I started to notice that on long rides I was the only one in the group not complaining about their seat (or their seat). I came to realize that what I was doing was sort of what we all do with our teeth during the week before our dental check ups! Fixating. I kept the seat. Earlier this summer I took a 10,000 mile excursion. No complaints about the seat.

A Long Distance Seat? Well, since it seems to be teed up - You Bet Your Ass it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Bill Mayer seat from a fourm member and it did not feel cushy or really fit my butt at first, better than OEM, I put over 400 miles on it today and my tail bone and back does not ache like it would on the stock seat, I really like the seat, I also got a sheep skin that I will try on it later.

I also got a sheep skin that I will try on it later.
I carried a sheepskin as well as my AirHawk when I did my SS1000 and all they did was take up space. I loan them out to my riding buddies now when I want to make trips over 100 miles so I won't have to listen to them whine.