Bill Mayer Saddles - Ride in experience

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Following my adventures during July with the Pacific Northwest Romp and my SS1k at WFO5, I realized that a custom seat was a necessity for survival.

So - on August 28, 2006 I arrived at Bill Mayer Saddles in Ojai, California. I've been waiting to put a few miles on the seat before posting.

I arrived at 6:15 am, and they were waiting for me. Coffee was made, Adrian was ready to go, and all they needed was my stock seat.

Adrian started with lots of questions - what kind of riding, what is your preferred position, etc., and he had me sit on the bike while observing and asking questions. Taking the stock seat, he removed the vinyl cover, replaced it on the bike and had me sit on it again - and proceeded to take a sharpie and mark where my cheeks were -

Here's Wonky at the start -

97557727-L.jpg

The stock foam was reduced in volume (way cool electric carving knife, by the way) and then the Bill Mayer foam saddle was glued into place, and additonal trimming ensued - followed by more test sittings, and finally, a test ride !!

There's a really interesting 5 way stop sign intersection close to them - and I've never seen so many confused cagers -

In my case, Adrian had it right the first time - so it immediately went to the finish process -

Here's my saddle with the cute pink foam applied -

97557735-L.jpg

And the black leather cover being fitted and sewn -

97557737-L.jpg

And the final result:

97557738-L.jpg

97557739-L.jpg

97557740-L.jpg

I'm amazingly comfortable on this seat - they will design it to your specifications, and mine is set up to support my seat , and allow me to move around as I need to. The leather is slightly smooth, so I can easily slide from side to side, back and forth, without lifting off the seat.

My saddle was completed by 10:30 am - so - 4 hrs, 15 mins including my test ride.

I had the pillion recovered to match - my total cost with taxes was $642.00.

OrangevaleFJR and his wife Joyfulgirl arrived aroung 7:30 or so - and while their seats were being worked on, we walked (hiked, actually) in 93 degree heat to Eggs and Things for a late breakfast. It was great meeting them.

All in all, I'm a happy camper - excellent experience, very good workmanship, and Adrian listened to what I wanted and delivered.

KD

Thanks for the writeup, keep us posted on long term comfort.

I've got to do a Bill Mayer or Russel conversion and am leery of the mail in method. Hopefully an airhawk will keep me going until I can get out there next year.

Kaitsdad,

It looks like all that was done is to shape the stock foam, add the pink foam as an additional padding and cover it all with a nice leather cover. Don't get me wrong, I plan to get a Bill Mayers saddle, as I have never heard anyone say that are not comfy, but I thought there was more to the process and that they added a more to the saddle. Can you fill me in as to what they did to actually make this thing fit your butt? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaitsdad, It looks like all that was done is to shape the stock foam, add the pick foam as an additional padding and cover it all with a nice leather cover. Don't get me wrong, I plan to get a Bill Mayers saddle, as I have never heard anyone say that are not comfy, but I thought there was more to the process and that they added a more to the saddle. Can you fill me in as to what they did to actually make this thing fit your butt? ;)
That's probalby because I didn't take pictures of the entire process - believe me, they added a whole bunch of stuff, and then completely shaped it to fit my six. Test sittings, questions, test ride(s), it's a continual modification process to get the saddle right where you want it.

Here's a pic of OrangevaleFJR preparing to head out on a test ride - as you can see, there are multiple layers of foam underneath him - different densities, types, etc.

97557741-L.jpg

Kaitsdad,

It looks like all that was done is to shape the stock foam, add the pick foam as an additional padding and cover it all with a nice leather cover. Don't get me wrong, I plan to get a Bill Mayers saddle, as I have never heard anyone say that are not comfy, but I thought there was more to the process and that they added a more to the saddle. Can you fill me in as to what they did to actually make this thing fit your butt? ;)
That's probalby because I didn't take pictures of the entire process - believe me, they added a whole bunch of stuff, and then completely shaped it to fit my six. Test sittings, questions, test ride(s), it's a continual modification process to get the saddle right where you want it.

Here's a pic of OrangevaleFJR preparing to head out on a test ride - as you can see, there are multiple layers of foam underneath him - different densities, types, etc.

97557741-L.jpg
Is that a Corbin backrest on the pillion seat? Is he getting a Corbin redone by Mayer?

Is that a Corbin backrest on the pillion seat? Is he getting a Corbin redone by Mayer?

While it is a Corbin backrest, the seat is the stock pan. The backrest affixes to a bracket under the seat, and BMS notched the stock seat to allow the backrest.

If you need more detail, contact OrangevaleFJR - I hesitate to discuss his design any further than I already have.