Bill Mayer Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bag is actually the most useful thing I've done to date. I leave it on all the time because of the easy access for getting my baseball cap, sunglasses, maps and anything else I need. Hard bags are nice but somewhat of a pain. I can't take the credit but go to this link. I pretty much followed what someone else had done. It works like a charm and be removed in seconds if you want to put the rear seat back on.

https://home.nycap.rr.com/pnelson/FJRtailbag.htm

I'm new so I haven't figured out the "clicky" yet.

And by the way when they were taking pictures of the seat, the first thing I said I bet I get questions on the bag before the seat. It is such a great farkle.

Just tried the link and it didn't work. Let me figure it out and I will post. Trust me it is here, just have to find.

Glenn, nice looking saddle. I am thinking about buying a BMS, and I noticed that you got the leather. I am split on the leather vs. vinyl. I would prefer the leather because I understand that it doesn't get as hot and it breaks in better. However, the vinyl is quite a bit less. Can you share your reasoning for upgrading? It may help me make my decision. Thanks.

The stock FJR seat was just plain uncomfortable for me. I had two painful hotspots after about 45 minutes. I had the same thing on my Valkyrie and I did a custom seat from "Aligator Bob". He is in small town outside of Chicago. I had that done with leather, conchos and some custom tooling. I went on a 4200 mile eight state excursion and rode through 115 degree south Dakota, rain and snow in Yellowstone and major rain storms in North Dakota. Seat was comfortable, held up and looked great. Leather shows certain cracking as it wears in but for me it lends a certain amount of character to the look. Vinyl has a half life of 500 million years, about the same as milk bottles, and never really changes in its feel or look. As you get older I like to think I look better with age. Of course I can't tell you when the last time any good looking babes have hit on me, but I like the thought anyway. Leather takes some care but not a big deal. As far as going to Bill Mayer, He is two hours from me and when you do a ride in he builds the seat, you check it for fit, go for a test ride, modify if some part isn't quit right and test again. It doesn't get covered until you are satisfied. The comfort of the seat is that important that I wanted go through this process. When you do 600 to 800 miles a day the seat better be comfortable. Hope I answered some of your questions.

Thanks for the reponse. BTW, I used to live in SoCal and would love the opportunity to do a ride in. However, I now live in Nashville and would like a new seat before I try to ride cross-country. Like you, I am squirming after about an hour in the stock saddle. Therefore, I will have to rely on photos and UPS. Thanks again for the input.