bleeding edge comm systems for 2 up riding?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bleeding edge often means trouble pairing with other devices, new software bugs, frequent ROM updates. I agree Sena makes a great product, been using the 10 for a while and love it. The 20 will probably be better.... might take a few updates.

Two options:

Sena's new '20' @ +/-$500 for a pair. Bleeding edge, bleeding wallet.

Sena SMH10 @ +/-$300 for a pair. And save enough money to buy fuel for a 2000+ mile ride.

thanks all! was looking at the 20s last night and about pulled the trigger

is each person able to have their own music? i don't have to listen to Skrillex as i ride.. correct?

and could both sets be paired to one bluetooth phone?

thanks!

thanks all! was looking at the 20s last night and about pulled the trigger
is each person able to have their own music? i don't have to listen to Skrillex as i ride.. correct?

and could both sets be paired to one bluetooth phone?

thanks!
Yes and No.

With the 10s ... Each can have their own music, and own phone. They cannot share a phone. The rider can share his music with the passenger.

There are many variations possible especially if you add the SM10 into the mix.

i don't have to listen to Skrillex as i ride.. correct?
You get to choose your own music.

...just don't tell your passenger about the music sharing option (my friends hate me).

But, if you have a passenger that listens to Skrillex, you got yourself a treat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sena, or any other battery systems is great if you want to deal with charging batteries and all that stuff. I look at what manufacturers provide, and several use J&M equipment. I have a J&M system riding two up all the time. Works great. But it ain't cheap. The whole system is going to run about $1200. We use Big Ear custom molded earplugs with it. You get 30 db +/- noise protection and you get a freaking concert in the helmet. When we switched to the molded ear plugs, we turned all of the volumes more than halfway down. In fact we were able to turn it down so much, that the noise cancelling circuit became annoying. MicMutes makes a plug and play system for J&M that cuts the mic when not in use and we could further reduce the sound levels. Music is great, cell phone calls through the garmin 550 conected to teh J&M, radar detector, and FRS radio if you want it.

One thing you have is volume adjustment between you and the passenger, separate volume adjust for each of the following: CB, ipod (mp3 player), GPS, and radar. It does use cords to connect to the helmet. The mics are great and you can understand each other clearly well into triple digits.

Unlike the some of advanced digital, you are not constantly buying cords. They are expensive, but well made. I did have to send the J&M back to have a switch checked out, they rebuilt it and sent it back - no charge even though it was well out of warranty.

Last edited by a moderator: