blue line on the front tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrwanabee

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Pardon my ignorance gents but what is this blue line on my front tire. I'm sure that the tires are original, the bike is 2006 and has 7,000 miles. I'm not sure how to tell if a tire need replacement. How many mile do the tires average before replacement. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

DSC01297.jpg

DSC01299.jpg

DSC01300.jpg

DSC01301.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]PS: any suggestion on the rear tire.[/SIZE]

DSC01302.jpg

DSC01303.jpg

DSC01304.jpg

They look real good for 7,000 mile some people don't get 5,000 I have 9,000 on my BS 20s maybe one more 1000 new tires waiting.

Pardon my ignorance gents but what is this blue line on my front tire.

Looks like the same color as the bike's paint...well, similar, anyway. Maybe it has somehow rubbed the inside of the fender? Have you tried to scrape/scrub it off?

Last edited by a moderator:
The blue line is a sign of high heat to the rubber. Something tells me you've been having fun with the bike lately... B)

The blue line is a sign of high heat to the rubber. Something tells me you've been having fun with the bike lately... B)
I dunno.......

Anybody read of a mass genocide recently? That blue looks like Smurf blood to me.

Smurf.Unicef.jpg

;)

lol........

well ... I did go to Americade. no i think it was the Lee Parks' Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic. It was an all day event what do you think about the tire?

No worries. That blue is the rubber oxidizing (for lack of a better term). It's simply the rubber compound doing what it does as it reacts to heat, aging, etc. It's just surface and should wear off on your next ride.

This is very common to race tires, not so much to street tires, but it does happen.

is it the angle of the camera that maybe giving me an optical illusion? but the rear tire looks like its not wearing even. it looks like a form of cupping.

then again it could be the camera angle. :(

The tires (rubber, actually) are/is old (too old). And, imo, have been treated way too kindly (by the looks of them)?

Looks to me, like they're in danger of rotting-off before they wear-out.... :eek: :unsure:

Actually, it's residual paint from the front repair/paint from the accident the previous owner had. But don't worry, he said once they straightened the forks and welded the neck back in place it seemed to not wobble as much.

One thing when blue heat starts happening is, you're loosing your grip or stiction of the tire. Tires that get really hot wear out faster. If you're seeing blue your tires are technically shot for grip. IMHO :D Get new tires.

I won't get into heat cycles etc, but the more you heat the tires up (track or race speeds) and they cool down the life is running out of the tires rapidly.

I have had harder compound tires do this after track days. The softer ones rarely showed these signs, I replaced them more frequently. :huh:

I think it's wild that squids buy used or take-off tires from old racers or track day bikes. The reason why they are selling them is they are SPENT! As in little to no grip left. If they were still good they'd be using them. If they use them for stunting and smoking the tires, have fun otherwise you're flirting with disaster IMHO. ;)

The tires (rubber, actually) are/is old (too old). And, imo, have been treated way too kindly (by the looks of them)?Looks to me, like they're in danger of rotting-off before they wear-out.... :eek: :unsure:

too old..have been treated way too kindly. [SIZE=10pt]so are you suggesting i replace the tires ?[/SIZE]

No, don't replace them unless you see other issues. It's merely oxidation. Really. Google: "tires turning blue". Bootles of hits.

Man, what a bunch of gump answers. Everyone knows that the previous owner was using nitrogen for pressuring the tires up. That blue streak is the nitrogen interacting and breaking down the aluminum rim.

The centripital force brings that nitroluminumoxide through the weakest part of the wheel.....which is not the center as one may think(due to the use of harder rubber on the center). Just outside of the center is the weakest rubber where the nitroluminoxide comes out.

Wow, these answers are all over the place, and that's the serious ones. I've had blueing on my track day tires, usually when I run on days when the temp is 90+ and the rubber's melting into little balls. I've run tires in that condition on one or two subsequent track days and never had any grip issues, but then I'm not necessarily the fastest guy out there, although I do drag my knee and don't have any chicken strips.

My two cents is that your tires are fine and you should be fine if you ride them until they're down to the wear bars. If you're after good handling, change them both at the same time. If you can live with some funkiness in the handling and want to save money, change the rear when it's worn and leave the front on until it's worn. Your choice.