Bluetooth Headset

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freesundae

Reaction score
Hey All,

Check this out

Scala Rider Review

I am not sure how I feel about this, most people can't drive and talk at the same time let alone something so much more mentally demanding like riding, because most studies have shown that it is just talking on the phone that is dangerous and most hands free devices don't actually improve the safety of using cell phones.

What's your all's thoughts?

Tim

Looks like a good idea than needs some more design work before it's ready for prime time. It will be nice if it works with other appliances, like MP3 players and radar detectors.

I have the Scala and it works very well. I use it with my IPAQ which is also a cell-phone and MP3/WAV player. So far, I have been pleased with it.

However, you MUST be very careful of earspeaker placement or it won't work at high speeds.

I am also not happy where the mike boom passes into its mount. It has come a bit loose--far too soon.

Installation was easy.

Sound quality is easily better than my regular Motorola B/T headset--actually a lot better. Volume is much, MUCH louder--when listening to an MP3, I can EASILY hear it on the bike at 75mph, but in a closed car, the Motorola at full volume isn't nearly as loud--it's the fancier Motorola that folds (since been replaced).

The electronics slip off for re-charging, but it's only AC, no 12v.

It does not have intercom capability as far as I know, but does have automatic leveling so it doesn't deafen you at stoplights.

Motorola also makes a helmet headset, that CAN be an intercom.

It is not a stereo headset--I only know of one B/T headset that is, and, as far as I know, it doesn't have a mike.

Since I use my player mostly for studying language (Spanish at the moment) as I have a long trip, it works perfectly well for that. Of course, I need to ignore it when traffic gets crazy.

I also have the Garmin B/T GPS that's half the size of a pack of cigarettes. So far, that works very well with the IPAQ too. You can use the GPS and Windows Media simultaneously, but you have to be careful with memory.

I was going to order it. Had it been a stereo (two speaker) unit, I would have bought it without hesitation.

It seems they got so close to exactly what I wanted and then missed the mark by a speaker. Damn.

Last edited by a moderator: