BMW R1200GS Adventure Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I stopped by a local BMW dealer the other day to try and get a minor "Fix of Motorcycling" since the weather seems like it is never going to warm up.

I picked up a flyer on the R1200GS-A model and one spec really jumped out at me.

"Fuel requirement - PERMIUM Unleaded"

I have to believe the bike will still run OK on regular unleaded, but why in the hell would you make a bike that is designed to "Get out there" run it's best on Premium? I would think you would want it to run best on regular unleaded, with the ability for it to get by on something just one step about crude oil.

Just ranting, and once again marveling at good old German engineering.

Germans, we can OVER-Engineer ANYHTING.

What's the compression ratio. If it's high compression, it needs high octane. That's all octane is, is resistance to pre-detonation.

Wait, on a re-rea, what's permium??? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
He's talkin bout the frost under the ground. Ya know.....if you go down deep enough up north the ground stays frozen year round.

I stopped by a local BMW dealer the other day to try and get a minor "Fix of Motorcycling" since the weather seems like it is never going to warm up.
I picked up a flyer on the R1200GS-A model and one spec really jumped out at me.

"Fuel requirement - PERMIUM Unleaded"

I have to believe the bike will still run OK on regular unleaded, but why in the hell would you make a bike that is designed to "Get out there" run it's best on Premium? I would think you would want it to run best on regular unleaded, with the ability for it to get by on something just one step about crude oil.

Just ranting, and once again marveling at good old German engineering.

Germans, we can OVER-Engineer ANYHTING.
While they do suggest using premium 95 RON, which is ~ 91 Ron+Mon/2 (aka Pump octane in the US) for maximum performance, they also specify that you can use as low as 91 RON (~87 pump octane) and the automatic knock detector will retard the timing. Seems like reasonable engineering to me.

I don't know much about the BMW engines, so I was unaware that there was an automatic knock detector. That helps to explain a few things. Still, I am DAMN GLAD the FJR is designed to run on the 87 octane.

I don't know much about the BMW engines, so I was unaware that there was an automatic knock detector. That helps to explain a few things. Still, I am DAMN GLAD the FJR is designed to run on the 87 octane.
Suppose they said you would get an extra 20 horsepower when you put in premium, but you could still run 87 in a pinch. Would ya?

Suppose they said you would get an extra 20 horsepower when you put in premium, but you could still run 87 in a pinch. Would ya?
Hell, I'm not using all the H.P. I have now!

Hell, I'm not using all the H.P. I have now!

Ha ha, good reply. I'm thinking those boxer boys need all the HP they can beg borrow or steal...

TriggerT:

It is not just the Germans. My '03 ST1300 was designed for premium fuel as are many premium automobiles today. My wife's Sportster and both of my Buells also require premium fuel. Bless the FJR and my Honda Odyssey. They are the only two vehicles we own where I can run the cheap stuff.

Dave

I only use regular in my BMW during the winter, It knocks like hell if you try to use it in warm weather.

As for German over engineering I beg to differ. They are using WWII technology, just a lot of BULL SHIT marketing.

Bob

As far as the extra HP, sure I always like to have extra HP, but if I wanted to take the bike back to the area of Nepal where I lived for a year, I would much rather have more fuel flexibility than the HP. I doubt that any motorcycle could ever have the kind of fuel flexibility I would like (run on gas, kerosene, or just about any other fossil fuel) but it would be a nice goal to shoot for.

As far as the Germans over-engineering things, I guess everyone has their own opinion. After owning well over 10 German cars (VW, Audi, and Porsche) I wont go back to one until I have TONS of disposable income. Just my $0.02.

As far as the extra HP, sure I always like to have extra HP, but if I wanted to take the bike back to the area of Nepal where I lived for a year, I would much rather have more fuel flexibility than the HP. I doubt that any motorcycle could ever have the kind of fuel flexibility I would like (run on gas, kerosene, or just about any other fossil fuel) but it would be a nice goal to shoot for.
As far as the Germans over-engineering things, I guess everyone has their own opinion. After owning well over 10 German cars (VW, Audi, and Porsche) I wont go back to one until I have TONS of disposable income. Just my $0.02.
TriggerT: I've forwarded your question on to my BMW contacts Dieter und Axel in Berlin. They'll send Hans, BMW State Security Director, over to talk to you in person at your home! The questioning of BMW over-engineering must be resolved!

I'm with you! I wish that all of my BMW's would run well on 87 Estados Unidos octane. Ingrid, my R1150RT, prefers 89 octane but will run fine on 87! Mi Mexico Mule, R1100GS, hates 89 octane and desires 91. Mule runs great on Pemex Super!

Fred W is correct on the Hexheads (R1200 motor) having an automatic knock sensor allowing the use of any fuel 87 to 91.

Paul Glaves, IBA competitor Voni's husband, writes a tech column at www.bmwmoa.org Anticipate 10 horsepower difference!

TriggerT: I've forwarded your question on to my BMW contacts Dieter und Axel in Berlin. They'll send Hans, BMW State Security Director, over to talk to you in person at your home! The questioning of BMW over-engineering must be resolved!
Send them on over. I have a Sig-Sauer that was made in WEST Germany, when there was a West Germany, that is FANTASIC. I will demonstrate to them how some of us Germans make things simple and effective! :yahoo:

Thanks for the reply.

As a standard rule, if you are taking any of my posts seriously, then you don't know me.

Guten Tag TriggerT,

Ja in der Tat, kann ich, Sie Uber deutsche Technik fuhlen. Meine personlichen Waffen sind ein Walther P38 und ein Luger P08. Sie wurden an den Fabriken gegildet, als Deutschland noch das Reich war. Haben Sie einen grossen Tag mein Freund.

Auf Wiedersehen,

und Gruss Gott,

Herr Don Stanley

Guten Tag TriggerT,
Ja in der Tat, kann ich, Sie Uber deutsche Technik fuhlen. Meine personlichen Waffen sind ein Walther P38 und ein Luger P08. Sie wurden an den Fabriken gegildet, als Deutschland noch das Reich war. Haben Sie einen grossen Tag mein Freund.

Auf Wiedersehen,

und Gruss Gott,

Herr Don Stanley
Oh go play with your wiener schnitzel!

Seriously, both the Walther P38 and Luger P08 are nice guns.

The Krauts figure if you can spend $20,700 for a new BMW Adventure "A" model (with out luggage), you can afford the good fuel!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Schmitty :D :D