bmw vs fjr quality

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maurice

Reaction score
Gotta love this story. As some of you have read, my friend who has several bmw's says they are the best quality bike, and would not have a liquid cooled bike for fear of getting stranded on a ride somewhere. So we were meeting David from this forum with his new fjr1300 about 75 miles away, and as we got of the main hwy pulling into a hess station, he said "my bike broke". He started it back up and it made a racket. Said it was the alternator belt. He is a mechanic so he easily removed 4 screws from the front of the motor, removed the plastic panel, and there was the chewed up belt. Said an auto parts store would have the belt. A piece of paper showing the part number he keeps with him with what looked like every part on a bike. Rode 5 miles using my "japaneese" honda and came with the belt, only to find of all the tools he had, he didn't have a 13mm box wrench to allow the belt to be put on. Went back to store for it. only took him about 15 minutes of work once the needed part/tools were present. I said to him" you know, this is not a good recommendation for bmw". he said " I know, don't tell anyone". I asked if my bike has a belt for alternator, which he said no, and then i remembered it has the stator. Not just because of this, but I am pretty much sold on the fjr. David was great, we talked about bikes and man does his spankin brand new 2010 bike look and sound great.

Status
Not open for further replies.