Body Armor, back protectors, pads and such.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsfjr

Reaction score
Do any of you use body armor, back protectors specifically, or any pads in your gear? If so what do you like or not like about what you are using? Pondering using one of those long back protectors.

Do any of you use body armor, back protectors specifically, or any pads in your gear? If so what do you like or not like about what you are using? Pondering using one of those long back protectors.
I use Forcefield body armor. THe armor is in a lycra suit which holds the pads in place and works good when it's hot out side. You can also wear any clothing over them you want. Bohn also makes some nice armor in a similar style. I feel safer in summer with a shirt over this system instead of just a shirt and no jacket.

When I went with an Aerostich some years ago I added a standard back protector and got used to it quickly. In fact, I think it may have helped with air flow when it's hot outside.

Of course, Stiches come with decent shoulder and elbow pads already.

One thing I didn't initially add was hip pads in my riding pants, but now won't ride without them. They took a little more time to get used to and fiddling to make them fit like I think they're supposed to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have over 100,000 miles on my Aerostich and always use all the pads, including hip and back protector. I can also tell you first hand that they work.

Canadian FJR

Aerostich here with back and hip pads. I've tried to wear my Bohn (Pro Racer Model) that I wear under my leathers when at the track, but it just didn't work well with the Stich'. It works well with tight fitting leathers as it's kept in place, but it roams around inside the Stich' and goes places it shouldn't!
omg2.gif

Some back protectors come in short or long version. A short one would be better suited for the FJR upright riding position. A long protector (unless you're tall) could make contact with your seat and push upwards, raising the shoulders of your jacket/suit making it uncomfortable. I've found that having the protector that is built into or snaps into the jacket works best for everyday riding but I do use a Knox chest and back protector for track days.

I think Mr. Carver nailed it...

I wear a Joe Rocket jacket with elbow, shoulder, and back pads, and I cant remeber the brand(i wanna say cortech..not sure), but the pants i have are like canvas, dont have pads, but do have thick aramid fiber reinforcments in the knee and hip areas. The pants get real hot in the summer (Black) but the legs do have zippers that allow the lower legs to be taken off, that can be opened a bit in just the right spots to vent them pretty well. (I only take the legs off when i get to where im going).

I'd like to find a mesh jacket with pads, and some lighter weight pants that will either have pads or some type of protection, for the summer month (yup..sometimes its a whole month here)

Olympia for me, has good armour including a good back protector, pants have armour in knees and pads for the hips at the side. Note, some gear has only foam pads, which are light but will be useless in a crash.

Don't leave home w/o it, use it all.

Winter Gore-tex pants have knee with added hip pads. I had the SO enlarge my winter jacket back pocket so I could add D3O back armor. Much more substantial then the thin foam back pad that it came with. Summer gear is Motoport with tri-armor all around.

--G

I took the armor out of my Jacket and wear this under it. And it it gets too hot, I can always take the jacket off and still have armor on.

• Anatomic high impact two piece plastic chest plate
  • Removable articulated plastic back coverage
  • High impact plastic shoulder and elbow coverage
  • Soft vented mesh main body fabric for enhanced fit, comfort and ventilation
  • Center zipper for easy on and off
  • CE certified

2012-fox-racing-titan-sport-jacket-mcss.jpg

I took the armor out of my Jacket and wear this under it. And it it gets too hot, I can always take the jacket off and still have armor on.
  • Anatomic high impact two piece plastic chest plate
  • Removable articulated plastic back coverage
  • High impact plastic shoulder and elbow coverage
  • Soft vented mesh main body fabric for enhanced fit, comfort and ventilation
  • Center zipper for easy on and off
  • CE certified

2012-fox-racing-titan-sport-jacket-mcss.jpg
I use one of those on the dirt bike. I think it's a lot better & more comfortable than typical chest protector.