Body Armor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this post belongs here, but I'm becoming more safety conscious and am looking for the very best body armor out there. Recommendations?

Used by several members, myself included.Clicky
Search under the Parts and Accessories (where you posted) for reviews and comments.
I actually own a motoport jacket along with a roadcrafter 1 piece and a custom vanson. Like all three for different reasons.

But, I recently look up offroad riding and need better protection... the kind that attaches to you--not a slip-in in your jacket or pants. I want better protection all around, including back. I really want the best protection and am not sure what is best. Bohn? EVS? Other?

I've heard Tpro stuff is pretty good. Have looked at getting some in the past to use with my current jackets/pants, or one of their lycra based suits underneath my other gear.

Tpro armor

This is a good question and one a lot of riders don't give enough consideration to.

IMHO the most important thing is to get gear that fits properly and is comfortable. If it is too loose and you should fall off, the materials tend to bunch up and catch causing you to start flipping over which is when most injuries happen. If it is too tight, then you can't move freely enough to enjoy the ride (and probably won't wear it). Most all gear offers internal body armor, which in my opinion is the best way to go. Then it is built in and stays in the correct place if you should crash.

I currently have a Dianese 2 piece suit that zips together with internal body armor. (On the track I will only use a one piece suit) I also wear a Dianese back protector in addtition to the the built in one. I also have an Aerosticth Roadcrafter suit - either back protector they offer is inadequate IMO. So I wear the Dianese protector with this suit also. When I travel, if the weather looks good or mostly good, then I wear the leathers and carry a rain suit I can put over it if I get caught in the rain.

IMO, there is no substitute for a good built leather suit, there are many that are < $1,000 even custom built ones. Having crashed tested a couple on the race track (one at about 140 mph - front end tuck low side) and walked away (or hobbled when I broke my foot) there were no wear through areas on the suit, no blown out seams and no abraisions caused by the suit liner or protective gear inside.

The other place to pay attention to are the gloves. There are many popular ones out there that the seams blow out on impact. IMO the best race glove out there is made by HELD or Helimont. They last several years before the moisture form your hands weaken them and cause them to need to be replaced before you see any wear holes. They are very comforatble and made from Kangaroo leather which is tougher thane most other leathers and has great abraision characteristics. look at the pros that have to buy their gloves and are not signing endorsement deals and you will see them with one or the other brand of glove.

Since you are talking about wearable armor as opposed to which type/style of outer garment....

....your choices are a bit limited.

BEST is going to be the difficult one to measure. You may very well decide by which fits you or which is easier to put on/take off. Good for you for wanting the best protection, I haven't made that "leap" yet though I've considered it.

This is a good question and one a lot of riders don't give enough consideration to.
IMHO the most important thing is to get gear that fits properly and is comfortable. If it is too loose and you should fall off, the materials tend to bunch up and catch causing you to start flipping over which is when most injuries happen. If it is too tight, then you can't move freely enough to enjoy the ride (and probably won't wear it). Most all gear offers internal body armor, which in my opinion is the best way to go. Then it is built in and stays in the correct place if you should crash.

I currently have a Dianese 2 piece suit that zips together with internal body armor. (On the track I will only use a one piece suit) I also wear a Dianese back protector in addtition to the the built in one. I also have an Aerosticth Roadcrafter suit - either back protector they offer is inadequate IMO. So I wear the Dianese protector with this suit also. When I travel, if the weather looks good or mostly good, then I wear the leathers and carry a rain suit I can put over it if I get caught in the rain.

IMO, there is no substitute for a good built leather suit, there are many that are < $1,000 even custom built ones. Having crashed tested a couple on the race track (one at about 140 mph - front end tuck low side) and walked away (or hobbled when I broke my foot) there were no wear through areas on the suit, no blown out seams and no abraisions caused by the suit liner or protective gear inside.

The other place to pay attention to are the gloves. There are many popular ones out there that the seams blow out on impact. IMO the best race glove out there is made by HELD or Helimont. They last several years before the moisture form your hands weaken them and cause them to need to be replaced before you see any wear holes. They are very comforatble and made from Kangaroo leather which is tougher thane most other leathers and has great abraision characteristics. look at the pros that have to buy their gloves and are not signing endorsement deals and you will see them with one or the other brand of glove.
Hey, good info. Thanks!

Did a bunch more online research today. I'm looking into the possibility of upgrading the standard armor in my motorport jacket to the "quad"... also looking more into T-Pro. It sounds relatively comfy and their back protector is CE level 2 rated... many are not.

I wear Bohn pants for my lower body, Draggin Jeans. Upper body I have a Joe Rocket Armored jacket , under that I wear a Icon Field armor vest Icon Vest as well as boots and gloves. It maybe over kill , but I worked in a trauma center for 12 years too.

I wear Bohn pants for my lower body, Draggin Jeans. Upper body I have a Joe Rocket Armored jacket , under that I wear a Icon Field armor vest Icon Vest as well as boots and gloves. It maybe over kill , but I worked in a trauma center for 12 years too.

fyi, Looks like Icon field armor is NOT CE approved...

I believe you are correct , I do not think the Icon Field armor vest is CE approved. However , I tried on a lot of vests and upper body armor and it was the only one I honestly felt I would wear , as it is easy to get on , protects your chest and back and still fits under a regular riding jacket. I figure that and the jacket spine protection should do a pretty good job

I must be the schmuck but only wear a back protector. Nothing additional on the legs. My gear is a Fieldsheer Congo Mesh jacket in the summer/Teknic Chicane Jacket for cooler weather, MotoGP Apex pants, and a Six Six One back protector. Fit is nice for the BP and once you get it adjusted right, you never know it's there.

Yeah, I picked up a pair of these go here. I like to have some protection that will stay on my knee and something down the shin, so I adopted these. Haven't used them in the "ultimate" test yet, but those small flung stones don't chip away at my shins anymore after a passing vehicle throws them up at me.

Search under the Parts and Accessories (where you posted) for reviews and comments.
I actually own a motoport jacket along with a roadcrafter 1 piece and a custom vanson. Like all three for different reasons.

But, I recently look up offroad riding and need better protection... the kind that attaches to you--not a slip-in in your jacket or pants. I want better protection all around, including back. I really want the best protection and am not sure what is best. Bohn? EVS? Other?

Off road safety gear is completely different than street riding gear.

Check out neck braces and "chest" protectors which are hardly ever used on the street. They also made knee braces that do help with lateral support. "Off Road" the brand is not as important as the protection the gear provides IMO.

Off road safety gear is completely different than street riding gear.

Check out neck braces and "chest" protectors which are hardly ever used on the street. They also made knee braces that do help with lateral support. "Off Road" the brand is not as important as the protection the gear provides IMO.
Sounds like wisdom to me...

So which products do you think are BEST? I've heard good things about knox stuff, Tpro, Bohn... not sure which neck protection makes most sense...

Latest posts