Bohn Adventure Pants - my review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctfjr

Reaction score
Prior to taking my recent cross country ride I purchased the Bohn Armor pants. I have ridden pretty much in jeans my whole riding life except for my 'rain pants' which are overpants I wear in the wet stuff or in below 40 degree temps. They are some sort of insulated, padded pants made up of the stuff that is supposed to melt into your skin in the case of a slide :(

I decided that the Bohn pants were a good economic alternative to the matching Cycleport mesh jeans to my Cycleport jacket. So I sent in my $$$ and about a week later they showed up.

Ok, I admit I'm only an electrical engineer not a mechanical, but damn it took me almost 1/2 an hour to fit the various armor pieces into their 'pockets' of the lycra long johns. The 'pants' are actually a lycra material that stretches snugly over this svelt body (5'11", 240 lbs). My wife was the first to comment on my new 'outfit' - no picture would do it justice so I think I will just skip the imagery.

The 'armor' is a flexible semi-rigid foam material that is designed to protect your various body parts:

2 each for the knee/shin areas, thigh and hips and one piece for your tailbone.

The pants are meant to be worn under your regular riding pants (in my case jeans), you won't even know they are on. The manufacturer claims you can wear then all day under whatever pants you are wearing. They also claim, "I can tell you from personal experience (it's often over 110F here in No. Cal.) that the breathable lycra is comfortable in the heat and really does not make any difference to riding comfort on those hot and humid days."

OK, my experience - 9000 miles, 13 days riding

They do fit pretty much as the manufacturer described. ie they are snug (believe me you don't want a picture, use your imagination). The one 'functional' issue I had was in keeping the knee/shin armor in place. Even though the lycra is very snug around my legs the armor continually slipped down (in the first 10 minutes of putting them on). It left my knees totally exposed and unprotected. The other pads stayed perfectly in place. A possible fix would be attaching a velcro pad to the lower part of the shin armor with a matching piece sewn into the lycra pants at an appropriate position.

They truly are 'invisible' when wearing them under jeans. Only the slightest inkling of a bulge in the thigh area can be seen if you know something is there -

As far as all day comfort goes, pretty much the answer is yes. I rode 10-12 hours a day. When the temps were cool (most of the time below 65) they were a non factor. Anything I'm not thinking about is good on a long ride. When the temps warmed up to 85 and over they are not quite a non factor. After 6-8 hours in warm weather I knew they were there. At the end of a day's riding where I was in 80+ degree temps my legs were all sweaty (another picture you can pass on). I really wanted out of them at the end of one of those days. The last day I rode the last 4 hours in 90 + temps. I couldn't wait to get home & into a shower.

The verdict ??? depends on your riding style. As I usually take at least 1 long ride every year, usually later than late May / early June, These pants are not for me for my long hauls. I am going to bite the bullet & order the Cycleport mesh & liner. I will probably continue to use the Bohn for day trips, especially in mild weather.

YMMV -

I use similar under my jeans, T PRO forcefield, think the difference is CE approved hard shell armor for the knees and shin area, waffle board protectors for the hips and upper thigh.

Fits nice under regular cut jeans and even better with relaxed fit, and does not retain heat.

Good write up. Thanks! I've been curious about the Bohn Armor pants. I kind of figured that the tight fitting pants would get a little uncomfortable after a while. I tried various bike shorts and tights and after a few hours of riding with the tight fit I was ready to take them off. The biggest problem was that the tight fit made the boys very uncomfortable after a while. :bad: I have the Cycleport Kevlar mesh pants and am very happy with them. I usually wear a pair of thin polypropylene (long underwear) under the riding pants and it has been very comfortable up to 99 degrees so far. The long underwear holds the sweat a bit longer and allows nice evaporative cooling. I have also found that just a pair of running shorts under the riding pants works well, or any shorts for that matter. The Cycleport pants have a very nice soft liner that is easy on the skin. The armor stays where it should. My only gripe so far is that the Kevlar mesh is very abrasive and I had to add 3M Tank Slapper to the tank for bike protection. I feel they are worth the price.

Hi,

I've been using the Bohn body armor for a couple of years now. They're great for cool to moderate heat. I live in the Central Valley California and it get's 90 -100 degrees. I'm going to purchase their mesh lycra and just swap the armor the standard lycra it too hot for me. You get acustomed to the heat when you live in it but you don't want to retain moisture down below.

Other than the heat issue I feel they make a quility product and you can still wear any type of trouser you like and not be obvious.

Mario

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I've been using the Bohn body armor for a couple of years now. They're great for cool to moderate heat. I live in the Central Valley California and it get's 90 -100 degrees. I'm going to purchase their mesh lycra and just swap the armor the standard lycra it too hot for me. You get acustomed to the heat when you live in it but you don't want to retain moisture down below.

Other than the heat issue I feel they make a quility product and you can still wear any type of trouser you like and not be obvious.

Mario

Good write up. Thanks! I've been curious about the Bohn Armor pants. I kind of figured that the tight fitting pants would get a little uncomfortable after a while. I tried various bike shorts and tights and after a few hours of riding with the tight fit I was ready to take them off. The biggest problem was that the tight fit made the boys very uncomfortable after a while. :bad: I have the Cycleport Kevlar mesh pants and am very happy with them. I usually wear a pair of thin polypropylene (long underwear) under the riding pants and it has been very comfortable up to 99 degrees so far. The long underwear holds the sweat a bit longer and allows nice evaporative cooling. I have also found that just a pair of running shorts under the riding pants works well, or any shorts for that matter. The Cycleport pants have a very nice soft liner that is easy on the skin. The armor stays where it should. My only gripe so far is that the Kevlar mesh is very abrasive and I had to add 3M Tank Slapper to the tank for bike protection. I feel they are worth the price.
That is why the LD crowd uses the LDComfort long tights. They are made up of two layer material, that is designed to wick the moisture from the inner layer to the outer layer keeping your skin from being subjected to moisture for any length of time. The LDComfort long tights are comfortable in hot and cold weather, and are pretty much the best thing on the market to have next to your skin.

Nice write up CTFJR. From your description it sounds like these will work well in cooler climates...perfect for those of us in the PNW. Interesting alternative to armored pants if you're so inclined.

Thanks!

--G

Dammit! What a disappointment. :angry2:

From the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about something else entirely. I'm thinking "Wow, Adventure Pants. What fun!" :yahoo:

But Nooooooo.

Prior to taking my recent cross country ride I purchased the Bohn Armor pants. YMMV -
OK, I didn't buy those! I have a buddy who did! He likes 'em!

Here are "His" Pros~

"He" says Bohn Adventure pants are the best thing since sliced meat, for being able to change outer pants based on environmental (Summer/Winter) heat conditions. He changes between Tourmaster pants (?) to Levi's, to BMW (Motorrad) Summer pants for summer rides. No matter what, he always wears the Bohns and says they fit him to a "T".

He "insisted" that the heat issues he used to have with his '03 FJR's lower leg roasting was solved.

"His" Cons~

I never heard him mention one?

"My" choice was Icon lower leg armor;

Heard what "He" said about the heat, so I tried a pair of similar ICONs to solve the same issue. ICON knee and shin protectors are made for sports like for skate boarding, or knee boarding!

Pros~

Me Likes 'em for the Non lower leg heat roasting idea = they work!

Cons~

They don't quite stay put. I'm thinking about "doubling" the elastic at the knee and the lower leg to see if they will stay in place a bit better. I use them under a modified pair of denim Carharts with Aerostitch hip pads attached on the inside of the pant. Had to sew into the Carharts my own Velcro loops strip to accommodate the Aerostitch hip pads. Also use an extra long spine protector that extends below the waist line from the lower to back to cover the tailbone. I also wear Levi's, a pair of Himalaya Riding pants and a pair of Joe Rocket mesh pants with their own knee pad protection removed, over the ICON knee/shin protectors when the weather is cooler.

For the most part, me likes the general set up for it's versatility and general heat/non-heat comfort at most riding temperatures. I have no affiliation with any of the above manufacturers and am merely an independent owner/user.

YMMV

PS. I have crashed at 60+ on the freeway in an Aerostitch suit an totalled it, so I know what I should expect out of my gear. I walked away (once ) :blink:

+1 on the slipping knee protectors issue. One solution I've found is to wear high athletic socks over the lower legs of the Bohn pants to keep the things in place. My boots have enough room to make it work.

I wear the Bohn Adventure pants also, however I removed one of the tail pads. It was too thick. And yes, the knee pads do move (not sure why). When I wear my Alpinestars mesh pants, I always wear the Bohn pants underneath to add more protection (I remove the knee pads). And I always wear full length knee socks.

I wear the Bohn Adventure shorts, too, whenever I wear my full leathers. They actually have more protection than the pants do. Weird!

Last edited by a moderator: