Bolt size for unused left mirror hole

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRSANDIEGO

Reaction score
First, what is the bolt size, and does RAM make a direct screw in 1" ball unit that fits the hole? (for Quest mount). Also, does the included Quest cig lighter 12v adaptor fit with the RAM non powered cradle?

Thanks

Mark

I never could find the direct screw in RAM ball and looked. I've heard from others they exist.

I ended up going with the unit pictured below from GPSCity.com RAM-B-252U.

It's 10mm bolt (mic'ed and the threads were 9.89mm) and a 17mm head.

Sorry, I don't know the particulars on the Quest power part.

20051212073.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
does the included Quest cig lighter 12v adaptor fit with the RAM non powered cradle?
It can be done, but you'll have to booger up your car cradle. If you cut a slot in that teeny tiny torx screw, you can remove the unit with the contacts. That should fit in the unpowered RAM cradle. I know at least one person that has done this.

Another approach is to take apart the 110v charging mini-cradle and transplant the contacts into the unpowered RAM cradle. But you would have to make some sort of 12v to 5v converter somwhere along the wire. You don't ever want to feed 12v to the contacts. Check around to see if you have a 5v automobile cell phone charger. You could make some use of the converter that lives inside the cigarette lighter plug. Or you could probably get the bits you need from RadioShack or an electronics parts supplier.

Or you could just buy a powered cradle.

Great information, the link to RAM was what I was thinking. Thanks for the bolt size, but the picture looks like the VStrom part. If you have the mount picture, please send it.

As far as power requirements, most recent rides are within the battery charge range of 15-20 hrs. I will look at the unit to decide...

Thanks again,

Mark

If you have the mount picture, please send it.
RAmb252.jpg

Look at the 6th & 7th pics at https://www.fjr1300.info/mods/gps.html

As far as power requirements, most recent rides are within the battery charge range of 15-20 hrs. I will look at the unit to decide...
True, but my experience is that the Quest is near useless in daylight unless the sun is in the perfect position or if the backlight is on. If you use the backlight, the battery charge range is DRASTICALLY reduced. IMO, a powered cradle is pretty much a requirement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the bolt size, but the picture looks like the VStrom part. If you have the mount picture, please send it.
Whoops. Wrong picture number. Corrected above and hear also. Happens to also be the V-Strom upgrade also...

20051212073.jpg

I just bought a Quest and am having troubles with all of the different RAM parts I need. I purchased the powered Quest motorcycle mount at the same time. Which base do I need? and how long of arm should I use? I really don't want it sticking up too high, is the 1.75" arm too short?

Dave

You need a ball that's mounted to the motorcycle, which is discussed earlier in the thread. Then you need a cradle, which you already have. Now you need a ball on the back of the cradle. I've been told that for the Garmin cradle you will need a 1" ball base that has an standard "AMPS hole pattern", such as this

ramb202.jpg

See https://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-mount-roun...all/ramb202.htm

All that's left is an arm to connect the two. This is a personal preference. Start with the standard length arm and see if you like it. If not you can get the stubby or super long arm instead.

A buddy of mine also noticed that if he wanted the unit a bit higher, he could opt for a normal length arm but instead of the round base, he could use this base

ramb125b.jpg

https://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-mount-exte...ll/ramb125b.htm

This way it would effectively raise the unit a bit higher because the ball is offset to below the unit and out the back a bit.