Boostaroo Amplifier

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Saw this on another thread, did not want to hijack, so here we go new...

IPOD + Eytomotics ER6iearphones. Also use a Sirius Starmate replay receiver with a Boostaroo amp. Run Sirius antennae in tank bag. Work flawless.
Question - for you guys running the Boostaroo, how is the audio quality? I'm currently running a StarCom, and have heard the AutoCom unit requires an external amp like the Boostaroo.

Kiteman11, I see a geetar for your avaaatar ( :rolleyes: ), hopefully you're into quality sounding tunes and would have good advice?

Tx in Advance,

It has improved the sound quality from my Sirius radio + the additional volume - very nice for the price & the batteries last a very good amount of time for what they give you. I currently mount mine on the Helibar ram mount, easy to remove or change batteries.

It has improved the sound quality from my Sirius radio + the additional volume - very nice for the price & the batteries last a very good amount of time for what they give you. I currently mount mine on the Helibar ram mount, easy to remove or change batteries.
Hey WooofHound :rolleyes:

... is that to say it sounds as good or better through the Boost as it does direct from the Sirius?

I've had a boostaroo for about 4 years. They're designed to amplify cleanly so that you can use less volume from the source. This tends to improve the sound quality of the source if the source is generally used at high volume where clipping occurs. However, garbage in = garbage out. It's not gonna clean up a noisy unit or get rid of ground loop hums.

I use mine primarily to make the batteries in my iPod Shuffles last longer. As previously stated, the boostaroo batteries seem to last forever, and since they're regular AA's, you can carry a quick set of spares without worrying about a charger. I can turn down the volume on my Shuffles and save their batteries. FWIW - most of the power in a battery operated unit is used for sound amplification. If you can use a lower volume at the source, your battery will last as much as 5 times longer on a single charge.

To be honest, I don't know if I'd go out and buy a boostaroo for a powered device unless the amp on that device was really crummy at your regular volume levels. If the sound quality is obviously better on the Serius at lower volumes, then the boostaroo will help.

FWIW - The Radio Shack unit is actually the boostaroo. Same shape, same product, different name.

IPOD + Eytomotics ER6iearphones. Also use a Sirius Starmate replay receiver with a Boostaroo amp. Run Sirius antennae in tank bag. Work flawless.
Question - for you guys running the Boostaroo, how is the audio quality? I'm currently running a StarCom, and have heard the AutoCom unit requires an external amp like the Boostaroo.

Kiteman11, I see a geetar for your avaaatar ( :rolleyes: ), hopefully you're into quality sounding tunes and would have good advice?

Tx in Advance,
Hi Don,

I use the Autocom and tied the Zumo 550 through it. I was happy with the sound quality and level until I used the bluetooth feature for my cel phone. The volume was lower and quality poor. I installed the Boostaroo and had to turn the Zumo volume down to 50%. The Boostaroo works and provides way better sound quality. I mounted mine on the backside of my Zumo stem mount for easy access to the batteries and output plug. There is a good reason for doing this. When ever the output jack is plugged into the Boostaroo, the battery power is on, so..... if you don't pull the output jack when the unit is not in use, the batteries will eventually run down just powering the LED power lite.

By the way, the unit comes in either black or white. I bozoed and didn't specify black so had to paint mine...DUH!! <_<

Rob

If you are using the Boostero there is one thing you might check, I do not think one has to use a ground loop isolation cord when using the boostero, since the input from the zumo is going to a battery powered device and then into the starcom, autocom, etc. one should not have to purchase the high $ ground loop isolator when using it with a zumo 550. Taking the ground loop isolator out of the system has the added benefit of raising the volume level of the input signal. I would also make sure that one downloads all of the updates for the zumo, as there have been volume issues with the zumo and Garmin has made some running changes which do improve the amt of volume available. I just installed the garmin sat radio antenna on my system and I had to turn the zumo down to 60% volume on nav and XM. It was way tool loud when used with custom earmolds and a old Pro 7 autocom, which is saying a lot. Kieth

ps, the volume issues brought up about a Sirius sat radio system apply to a lot of different devices, Some of the newer Sirius recievers do not have as much available volume as earlier units, my old xm recievers had plenty of amp power available while some of the newer audiovox xm devices do not have as much volume available. It all depends on the source signal, the same applies to MP3 players, one does not know until they are tried, as to how much volume they have available. A boostero is a inexpensive way to go it you do not mind the batteries.......

Tx in Advance,
Hi Don,

I use the Autocom and tied the Zumo 550 through it. I was happy with the sound quality and level until I used the bluetooth feature for my cel phone. The volume was lower and quality poor. I installed the Boostaroo and had to turn the Zumo volume down to 50%. The Boostaroo works and provides way better sound quality. I mounted mine on the backside of my Zumo stem mount for easy access to the batteries and output plug. There is a good reason for doing this. When ever the output jack is plugged into the Boostaroo, the battery power is on, so..... if you don't pull the output jack when the unit is not in use, the batteries will eventually run down just powering the LED power lite.

By the way, the unit comes in either black or white. I bozoed and didn't specify black so had to paint mine...DUH!! <_<

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW - The Radio Shack unit is actually the boostaroo. Same shape, same product, different name.

+1

We use them occasionally with our laptops. They're pretty much transparent in the audio circuit. Guzzin-guzzout!

This is what I use: https://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html . Its more expensive than the Boosteroo thing but the audio quality is excellent and it will last many hours on a charge. I have had it for about three years now and am very happy with it.Bill

Wouldn't this one be more usefull on a bike?

https://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

KM
I have them both. The Amplirider is the way to go :yahoo: I have one on my GoldWing and one on my FJR. Best money I ever spent for good quality sound.

I prefer the rechargeable one, then I can switch it between bikes or just carry it around. Either one would be great.

Bill

I recently purchased the Boostaroo Revolution and used it on a long trip on the FJR.

A couple of things I didn't like: It uses AAAA batteries (yes, 4A) that aren't that easy to find, and it doesn't shut off unless you pull the plug from the input jack.

It worked well, but definitely not the advertised 4X amplification.

I mainly bought it because of my near deaf left ear and, along with an inline balance control, was able to hear music in both ears on the bike.

A tip: Put Wax ear plugs in on top of your earbud headphones. This enhances blocking outside sounds and keeps the buds in while putting your helmet on and off.

I use one with my Roady XT for XM with custom molded earphones. Sound from the roady was loud enough but sounded flat. The boostaroo improved the sound quality, better than having the custom earplugs hooked up directly to the Roady.

Boostaroo, then one I bought today from Radio Shack, uses two AA batteries so it's very user friendly. Part #31-118. The volume increase is noticable and the bass is richer, so it will help with the loss of bass at speed. Zip tied to the Garmin 2730 holder lip, the big fat one at the bottom.
th_PB150023.jpg

Boostaroo, then one I bought today from Radio Shack, uses two AA batteries so it's very user friendly. Part #31-118. The volume increase is noticable and the bass is richer, so it will help with the loss of bass at speed. Zip tied to the Garmin 2730 holder lip, the big fat one at the bottom.
th_PB150023.jpg

Try a bigger photo... I'm new at this.

Latest posts