Box Driving Light Mounts by Alex

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stryg8r

Reaction score
Thought this might be of interest. I've replaced more than one driving light due to mishaps. With the standard L shaped mounts the lights are positioned outboard of the fairing and are usually the first to take a hit anytime the FJR decides to take a nap.

When Alex came up with his box design that positions the lights above and inboard of the mirrors I thought it was brilliant. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=124633

In the event of another mishap it looked like the lights would be protected, and they have the added benefit of a higher mount for more downrange punch.

Unfortunately I had a chance to test this recently. I'm happy to report they not only worked with a direct impact that managed to snap off one of the mirrors, but also did a fine job with a hard left impact and slide. Yes, the lights still work.

136_3603.JPG

136_3604.JPG

Thought this might be of interest. I've replaced more than one driving light due to mishaps. With the standard L shaped mounts the lights are positioned outboard of the fairing and are usually the first to take a hit anytime the FJR decides to take a nap.
When Alex came up with his box design that positions the lights above and inboard of the mirrors I thought it was brilliant. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=124633

In the event of another mishap it looked like the lights would be protected, and they have the added benefit of a higher mount for more downrange punch.

Unfortunately I had a chance to test this recently. I'm happy to report they not only worked with a direct impact that managed to snap off one of the mirrors, but also did a fine job with a hard left impact and slide. Yes, the lights still work.

136_3603.JPG

136_3604.JPG
Ouch

OUCH is right!

How much you want for those "used" brackets?? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
How's the moose? [i just missed one in Vt.-I was thinking of trying to go under it..]

Wow Derek.... that was some collision!

How are the bones healing?

I have the FJR Goodies brackets which places the lights outboard and would definitely not survive a crash similar to yours.. I will be modifying my setup over the winter..

Any news on whether insurance is going to write the bike off....again?

Perry

Poor moose. Quit abusing your FJR!

I recently purchased a pair of Alex's brackets also as I have gone through more damn aux lights mounted on the FJRGoodies brackets than I care to remember. I am just not sure they are going to work with the big-assed HIDs I purchased. I think they are bigger than the Solteks. Haven't had to time to work on the bike, but hopefully will know sooner than later. I really like Alex's design.

I have the FJR Goodies brackets which places the lights outboard and would definitely not survive a crash similar to yours.. I will be modifying my setup over the winter..

Perry
The moose walked away. They just don't care. :dribble:

Bike hasn't been inspected yet but the ribs are much better already. Should be able to sleep laying down any day now. :)

Perry
The moose walked away. They just don't care. :dribble:

Bike hasn't been inspected yet but the ribs are much better already. Should be able to sleep laying down any day now. :)
Good to hear some progress on your healing. Keep in touch on the progress of bike repairs/replacement.

Well the FJR looks beter then I had imagined :clapping: I'm surprised you didn't try driving it home :rolleyes: