Brake Cleaner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodstock

Reaction score
A lot of folks swear by PJ1 brake cleaner, but is there really much difference between that and, say, CRC or Berryman. Some types (of each of the brands) are non-chloronated (CFC free?), but those don't seem to be the ones which don't leave any residue.

I assume this could end up like an oil discussion. :erm:

At work we use Next Dimension. Very similiar to 3M chlorinated. Both are second to none. Do not use a brake cleaner that smells like laquer thinner. The ones we use are fairly clean smelling, de-oil and clean perfectly, and leave 0 (zero) residue, better than most any contact cleaner on electrics. Also excellent for use after using carb cleaner ;)

I sell both types of brake cleaner (chlorinated and non-chlorinated). The old style (chlorinated) leaves no residue, is non-flammable, dries fast, and unfortunately is labeled as a carcinogen.

The non-chlorinated versions tend to be better for the environment, but, do not dry as fast, occasionally leave a residue, and are generally, highly flammable. I don't think they "cut" grease as well.

I sell the original formula at a ratio of about 8 to 1 over the new style (non-chlorinated).

So.......

Pick your poison..... Death by cancer, yet works great. Or.....

Death by potential fire, not as good as the original. :blink:

P.S. There are some citrus based solvents out there as well, most of them are pretty useless, but they do smell nice! :D