Brake Disc Locks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadman

Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent disc lock. I would like to have a "reminder" attachment, at least for the first few times i install the unit, and an audible alarm.

Are there any other features i might want?

TIA,

cadman

I'm looking for a decent disc lock. I would like to have a "reminder" attachment, at least for the first few times i install the unit, and an audible alarm.Are there any other features i might want?

cadman
Yep. Tip over guards (sliders).

I'm looking for a decent disc lock. I would like to have a "reminder" attachment, at least for the first few times i install the unit, and an audible alarm.
P1000164.JPG

That's my only reminder and it's working well. :)

(it's a label that says "WHEEL LOCK" on the stem)

Last edited by a moderator:
Checkswrecks,

I have a set of the TOGS. I'm not sure how they relate to a disc lock. please feel free to enlighten me.

Twistedcricket

That is a great reminder. where do you keep said label when the wheel is spinning?

later,

cadman

TwistedcricketThat is a great reminder. where do you keep said label when the wheel is spinning?
It's an adhesive label from a label-maker thingy. It has stuck there for just about a year through all types of weather.

Otherwise, I wonder if a person could attach a recoil-cord like what is on a personal water craft or snowmobile in the event of a rider ejection. The cord removes the key and kills the motor...wonder if the same idea could be applied and run the cable to the grips

I use a Kryptonite Disk Lock Reminder, which I picked up at my local dealer. It's also available online, including at Motorcycle Superstore for about $7. One end goes into the disk lock, and the other end wraps over the right grip.

If you have a helmet lock, this can also be used to lock your jacket to the bike during quick lunch breaks. Pull the cable through one of the sleeves, and lock both ends to your helmet lock.

2008_Kryptonite_Disc_Lock_Reminder_Orange.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What does the disk lock do that the steering lock does not ??? If the bike is going to be lifted "physically" by 3/4 people on to a small trailer or such? If you'r parking places are that questionable woulden't an alarm make more sense (and possibly? reduce you'r insurance premium). I know it's much more expensive. But as related to the PIA of having to take it off/on and possibly even ONCE forgetting!!!! I just don't get it.

And to walk away from the bike and have it go *beep* *beep* cool

-Don

The seemingly best solution I've heard of is this:

Put a velcro ring around the ignition key, and on the disk lock. Cut both into donuts to allow the key to be inserted with the velcro ring (the loop or rug side)

Cut a circle tab out of the hook side.

Put the circle tab on the disk lock, covering where the key goes. To unlock it to put in the key, you have to remove the velcro tab. After you remove it -- stick it on your ignition covering the ignition keyway.

When you come back to your motorcycle, you have to remove the circle tab from the ignition (reminding you to unlock the disk lock, and put the velcro circle tab back on it.)

easy, simple, cheap, and mistakeproof.

I use this:

Zena Disk Lock

You can't forget it because once you touch the bike to get on the alarm goes off. The only thing I don't like about it is it is heavy. Other than that, works good.

What does the disk lock do that the steering lock does not ??? If the bike is going to be lifted "physically" by 3/4 people on to a small trailer or such? If you'r parking places are that questionable woulden't an alarm make more sense (and possibly? reduce you'r insurance premium). I know it's much more expensive. But as related to the PIA of having to take it off/on and possibly even ONCE forgetting!!!! I just don't get it.
And to walk away from the bike and have it go *beep* *beep* cool

-Don
A disc lock has one thing going for it over the steering lock - you can't break one in the

. The steering lock, the disc lock, and the alarm are all equally ineffective at keeping a coordinated group of people from lifting your bike into the back of a waiting truck or van.

I use the ABUS Granit Quick 37. Comes with the lock reminder attached to the key. Great system and the lock is designed to fit under the back seat of the FJR 1300 series bikes. Oh yeah, a lighted key for at night!

Thank you all for your comments. I have been researching the different models suggested. Wow quite a few to choose from, indeed.

cadman

Checkswrecks, I have a set of the TOGS. I'm not sure how they relate to a disc lock. please feel free to enlighten me.
I was being facetious and probably should have kept quiet or explained.

Disc locks are one of those personal preference items. I've known two people to use disc locks, somehow miss the reminder, and go about 2 feet to where they tipped. Personally, I'm more worried about a tow truck just lifting my bike and driving off with it. Most of my parking is in a garage, next to a guard shack, or on very public curb settings. If I go some place to worry about or leave the bike overnight at the airport, (yep - BTDT) I take a fairly good cable lock that I can throw around a post. Obviously YMMV.

Bob

I made this with some 3/16" vinyl-covered stranded wire 6ft in length and two simple clamps. ~$5

No, I'm not worried about someone stealing the cable so I didn't use the ferral-metal clampy things. :)

bike_lock_cable.JPG

Latest posts