Brake pads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exskibum

~<>~<>~<>~<>~
Reaction score
Anyone with a basis for comparing OEM replacement pads to EBC pads, please post your thoughts. Stopping power, durability, etc.

TIA

** And Iggy, please go easy on me if I post this in the wrong forum. It's April 1 and I'm guessing this belongs in "Worms and Malware"?

I ordered EBC sintered pads from BikeBandit but haven't installed 'em yet. Other folks who've used sintered pads on other bikes (FZ1, various Ducatis) swear by them but say that the rotors may wear faster.

But BEWARE! BikeBandit and KneeDraggers both sent me EBC part # FA417/4HH for the front pads on a 2006 FJR1300, AND THEY DON'T FIT! I went to the EBC website and checked their catalog, then called BikeBandit and ordered the EBC part without using BikeBandit's aftermarket lookup system (even the aftermarket sales rep keep getting the wrong EBC part number).

The correct EBC sintered pad numbers for 2006+ FJRs follow:

Front = EBC FA423/4HH (about $60 a set of 4 pads, order 2 sets)

Rear = EBC FA319/2HH (about $30 for a set of 2 pads, order 1 set)

EBC pads 10K miles
OEM pads (2 sets) 25K miles each

Both types stopped the bike.

'nuff said.
Yup, this is my experience with EBCs on various bikes, except I haven't tried them on the FJR because EBCs really scored my rotors on the SV-650 and the DL-650. My rotors on the DL ended up with deep scratches that'd snag a thumbnail. I went back to OEM pads on the SV and the scoring got better. My local Suzuki dealer makes it almost impossible to buy OEM pads, but that's a rant for another time. Thank gawd for the inter-tubes!

$280 for OEM pads IS painful, but the ABS brakes are worth it. Just ask my broken collarbone.

Don't forget you need 4 packs. I ordered the usual 2 packs (even though I was looking right at the microfiche) and had to pay another $15 shipping for 2 more packs.

I put on EBC F319/2 'green' organic/kelvar pads on the rear of my '08 with only 270 miles after reading another FJRforum post(er) who had an accident & hated his rear brakes. I also hated my rear brakes. The stock ones appear to be sintered, very hard, while the 'green's are softer. Maybe I didn't have enough time on the stock ones to bed-in, but did noticed a slight improvement yesterday during my 1st ride on the new rears.

I get my pad for my bikes from Cycle Brake on line, they just had a 20% sale on all EBC pads, $108.00 for front and rear there # 805-671-5010 or

800-805-2118

I've used both and prefer OEM - better initial bite and progressive feel IMHO.

EBC sintered = no problems yet with the rotor score, but less initial braking power followed by sharp upward curve to ABS release point.

Not enough difference to warrant high $$ OEM price tag. Next set will be EBC's again. I don't rain ride much at all, meaning the EBC braking ramp does not bother me. YMMV.

OBTW, right now I'm poor, can't afford new, so I'm running a combination of pads, OEM + EBC. No problems..

Thanks, guys. I went with OEM -- just ordered them from Gary McCoy, along with lots of other supplies for the FJR and XX. Brake pads, oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, etc. Always a pleasure dealing with that guy, and great to know where he landed after University Cycles had a colossal pre-recession brain fart and they parted ways:

[email protected]

866-433-6635

(they carry Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki)

Last edited by a moderator: