Brand New 08 FJR OVERHEATED

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsozz

Reaction score
JUST PICKED UP MY 08' NEW FJR AND THE TEMP GUAGE SHOT TO 8 BARS OUT OF 10 AVAILABLE . I WAS DOING NO MORE THAN 30 MPH ON NEIGHBORHOOD STREETS (STOP AND GO) FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES WHEN I NOTICED THE TEMP. THE TEMPEATURE OUTSIDE WAS ABOUT 100 DEGREES F . DOES WNYONE KNOW THE FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE READ THAT LOW CO LEVEL THAT THE ENGINE IS SET FOR HAS BEEN THE PROBLEM ON EARLIER MODELS BUT, I CANNOT FIND ANY INFO ON THE O8' BIKES OVERHEATING.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRICIATED,

tHANKS,

GREG

:blink:

8 bars, putting around a neighborhood (stop and go) in 100 degree heat is normal... I hasn't overheated (yet). I saw 8 bars pretty regularly duing my recent trip out west in stop and go traffic through towns and what not.

I've seen 9 bars when stuck in traffic in ST Louis last year. It was like 109 and humid as hell. But the bike didn't officially overheat, once you get moving again for a bit it should drop back down.

Do check that your fans come on, they should around 6 bars I think.

-MD

Thanks for the confidence builder Renegade. It is my first bike and is scarry to see it go that high right off the bat. As I understood from other posts about older bikes, the CO level can affect the way the bike heats up and can be altered in the diagnostics from 1.5 to 3 or 4 ect., which makes the bike run much cooler. I am thinking that in south east Texas that might be an advantage with the heat and humidity that we enjoy here. I went into diagnostics but could not figure out how to get to the CO settings. It may be different on the 08' that on previous years.

Thanks for the confidence builder Renegade. It is my first bike and is scarry to see it go that high right off the bat. As I understood from other posts about older bikes, the CO level can affect the way the bike heats up and can be altered in the diagnostics from 1.5 to 3 or 4 ect., which makes the bike run much cooler. I am thinking that in south east Texas that might be an advantage with the heat and humidity that we enjoy here. I went into diagnostics but could not figure out how to get to the CO settings. It may be different on the 08' that on previous years.
I've had my FJR for a week now and I noticed the same thing - it was running hot when sitting at the dealer as he was showing me the controls/features etc, before taking delivery. I rode for about 50 miles afterwards in 100+ degree weather and once we got moving and air started to flow, it dropped back down to 1-2 over half. It does run hot especially in 90+ weather. Not sure if it's normal - just what I've noticed.

The 08 shows more bars than my 06 did, but it is not overheating. I've ridden it on a 110 degree day & it still didn't overheat.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, My 8-9 bars in the searing heat out west a couple weeks ago was with the Barbarian mod adding to the CO levels.

Personally I haven't felt a difference in heat with or without those adjustments... I'm sure it may run a tad cooler, but I don't know that it's noticeable, might be measurable but not necessarily noticeable.

I have one of those infared temp guns and I've been meaning to measure the engine heat so I could put a value to the 'bars' but I haven't done that yet. I know others have and I would like to see if my numbers match.

The very worst mine ever got was 9 bars and that was when we were putting up to the top of Mount Evans at altitude. My bike ran perfectly acceptible up to about 12000 feet, from 12000 to 14000 it idled at 500rpm and was struggling a bit and running much hotter.

YMMV

-MD

I've had my FJR for a week now and I noticed the same thing - it was running hot when sitting at the dealer as he was showing me the controls/features etc, before taking delivery. I rode for about 50 miles afterwards in 100+ degree weather and once we got moving and air started to flow, it dropped back down to 1-2 over half. It does run hot especially in 90+ weather. Not sure if it's normal - just what I've noticed.

Zute,

Its RR from SCRC. Welcome.. Since we ride the same area.....It the bike. It runs hot and that' s ok. What Renegade said is dead on.

RR

Did the fans kick on, did the bars then retreat any? If so, you're okay.
This thread should help you out:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8660

The fan kicked on but the bars did not retreat until I turned the bike off. This morning I rode it in 85 degree heat and got 6 to 7 bars. I kept the rpm's lower and did not go over 25 to 30 mph. Should I expect to stt this much heat? A lot of folks here say they see only 3 bars average. :dribble:

Thanks for the input.....it seems that nothing perfect

gsozz

3 bars relate to the 03-05 Gen I model. Gen II 06-08 has more bars on the temp gage. When it is 100+ mine regularly runs 6-7 bars with it going to 8 at stoplights. Dont worry so much. Just look for the patern to figure out what is normal. I did the CO mod on my 07 and didnt notice any difference in temp....

FWIW, My 8-9 bars in the searing heat out west a couple weeks ago was with the Barbarian mod adding to the CO levels.

Personally I haven't felt a difference in heat with or without those adjustments... I'm sure it may run a tad cooler, but I don't know that it's noticeable, might be measurable but not necessarily noticeable.

I have one of those infared temp guns and I've been meaning to measure the engine heat so I could put a value to the 'bars' but I haven't done that yet. I know others have and I would like to see if my numbers match.

The very worst mine ever got was 9 bars and that was when we were putting up to the top of Mount Evans at altitude. My bike ran perfectly acceptible up to about 12000 feet, from 12000 to 14000 it idled at 500rpm and was struggling a bit and running much hotter.

YMMV

-MD
Same as mine at Mt Evans. Renegade, how did I miss you at NAFO? You were hiding!

JUST PICKED UP MY 08' NEW FJR AND THE TEMP GUAGE SHOT TO 8 BARS OUT OF 10 AVAILABLE . I WAS DOING NO MORE THAN 30 MPH ON NEIGHBORHOOD STREETS (STOP AND GO) FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES WHEN I NOTICED THE TEMP. THE TEMPEATURE OUTSIDE WAS ABOUT 100 DEGREES F . DOES WNYONE KNOW THE FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE READ THAT LOW CO LEVEL THAT THE ENGINE IS SET FOR HAS BEEN THE PROBLEM ON EARLIER MODELS BUT, I CANNOT FIND ANY INFO ON THE O8' BIKES OVERHEATING. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRICIATED,

tHANKS,

GREG

:blink:

Thanks for the info. Only 2 dissapointments were the heat and the herkie jerkie throtle during the first 10 degrees of rotation. I think the throtle can be sorked out with a PC3 installation but, thats another thread.

gsozz

From the Bin 'O Facts:

There are 10 segments on the coolant temperature bar graph/display for Gen II FJR's. (Gen 1's have 6 bars)

Estimated bar to temperature conversion (otrfjr) (i.e. using the '05 values and dividing by 10)

Basis: If 1 bar = 104 (degrees Fahrenheit) and 6 bars = 248; for 10 bars >> then 248-104 = 144/10 = 14.4/per bar.

Estimations based on Gen 1 data:

1 = 104.0 - 118.4 (deg. F)

2 = 118.5 - 132.9

3 = 133.0 - 147.4

4 = 147.5 - 161.9

5 = 162.0 - 176.4

6 = 176.5 - 190.9

7 = 191.0 - 205.4

8 = 205.5 - 219.9

9 = 220.0 - 234.4

10= 234.5 - 249.9+

I noticed the same thing with mine. Normally it is at 4 bars while riding around and going up to 5 or 6 in stop and go traffic, but since I done an oil change it is running considerably hotter. Now it is usually at 5 or 6 and going up to 7 or 8 in stop and go traffic, this is with an air temperature of only 7 C to 10 C or around 50 degrees F.

When the bike is idling and not moving the coolant temperature should range between 100 and 105 degC (212 to 221 degF).

When it reaches 105 the fan(s) come on and stay on until the temp drops back down to 100. And the cycle repeats.

If you watch the temperature display as the coolant warms you can correlate the bars with the fans cycling on and off.

^^^^^ What he said...

'NSrider': but since I done an oil change it is running considerably hotter.
Thicker oil (higher viscosity oil) often runs hotter than lower viscosity oil. Since the FJR has an oil to coolant heat-exchanger, higher oil temps can (has the opportunity to) have an effect on coolant temps.

Although, (ultimately) the lowest temp is controlled by the coolant thermostat opening temperature and the upper limit by the fan/s-on switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been riding my '08 all summer down here in GA and it will occasionally get to 7-8 bars (idling or cruising at low speed), it's usually around 4-5 once I get moving. My fans won't even kick on until after it hits 7 bars. It got quite toasty when I was taking an MSF class this May (80-90 degrees all day) and was outside idling or moving at less that 30mph, but it never actually overheated. Hope this may help you feel a bit less worried about your bike.

Tek