Brand new Bike, Dead Battery!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota_c69

Reaction score
...time for a charge.

P7150113.jpg

I finally got my first longer trip (I know only 338 kms, but it is all relative ya know! (The Longest before lthis was 100 kms!) Apparently there is a force field on the outskirts of town that makes it POUR rain every time I head outta the city. As you can see by the 'weather' behind me!

P7150016.jpg

As compared to what awaits...(still a lil scary in the rear view mirror.) I got pretty soaked, but I thought the riding would dry me off so I continued on...

P7150015.jpg

...heading for the mountains!

P7150023.jpg

So, west on the Trans Canada was OK, just a big highway, but great scenery.

P7150018.jpg

Then I headed South on Highway 40, a nice motorcycle road.

P7150021.jpg

P7150022.jpg

P7150024.jpg

You may notice a motorcycle in the previous photo parked on the right side of the road ahead. Well I stopped to ask them if they were OK because they were looking at the underside of the motorcycle, turns out they were just checking tire pressure and were all good. They were a nice couple from Vancouver and we decided to ride the Highway 40 together. After a short time the female passenger volunteered to use my camera to get some pictures for me. Here are a few examples below.

P7150025.jpg

P7150026.jpg

P7150028.jpg

P7150032.jpg

P7150035.jpg

P7150050.jpg

P7150058.jpg

P7150066.jpg

P7150086.jpg

P7150100.jpg

P7150105.jpg

Well, quite a way into our trip tragedy struck. I had my first bird strike on my first real tour. You can see his feathers still attached...

P7150109.jpg

P7150110.jpg

P7150111.jpg

...and we returned and buried the victim.

P7150112.jpg

Actually felt guilt for hitting the little guy. He just swooped when he should climb...

Overall the trip was great, I really enjoyed it. The FJR performed flawlessly, even thought the idle was a lil rough after I managed to kill the battery a day or so ago. It started the morning of the trip, but you could tell the battery was weak. I found the stability of the FJR quite good. When comparing the bike to my previous '97 YZF1000, which I really liked and thought was pretty stable, I found the FJR considerably more stable and almost as easy and fun to 'toss' into corners. Lots of power (the 195 kph was a GPS glitch), front end instills confidence. Really like this bike....not so much the seat. It was just OK. After 3 hours and 40 minutes in the saddle my butt was protesting, so new saddle may be an option. I will finish this season with the stock saddle to see if it improves though, maybe time is the cure!

Have a good weekend!

Nice pictures... Did you head all the way over the Highwood Pass to Longview and then back into Calgary?

I slapped an Airhawk on my stock seat to get me through the first season and over the winter got a Corbin, which I find WAAYY better than stock.

I do believe you were at Healy's looking at that bike when I was there picking up some parts... you're gonna love it.

They say "seasonable" temps for Calgary and area through the weekend... time to turn some dead dinosaurs into fun :)

Griff

Yes that is the route I took, it was a nice ride. Just wish I had more time. I was looking at Walt's, but I didn't buy there. I went to Seitzco.

Last edited by a moderator:
I slapped an Airhawk on my stock seat to get me through the first season and over the winter got a Corbin, which I find WAAYY better than stock.
Some owners have had success by adding a piece of fleece. Buy a fleece seat cover at your local car-parts-in-a-box store and trimming it to fit over your seat before spending $$$$ on a fleece seat cover.

The absolute best will probably be to buy a custom seat (I have a Russell).

Nice report and thanks for the pics. I'll have to come up that way sometime. I felt the stock seat got better after a month or so but when the Russell group by came along in Oct I could not resist. Watch the group by section when fall arrives and if there is enough buyers they may do the 20% off deal again. It is definetly a Day Long Seat. We got the Leather dual seat.

PICT0002.jpg

Awesome pictures: I sure miss that country. I lived in Calgary for 5 years and spent nearly every weekend in the Rockies (late Ninties).

I finally got my FJR1300AE to a point where I can drive it comfortably.

I sent my seat to Spencer in Florida "www.greatdaytoride.com". An article in ridermagazine and folks on other forums recommended Spencer:

https://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=1694017

He lowered & narrowed my stock seat a tiny bit and put in some 'special-sauce' material. I like the result. His turn-around time was awesome.

My altitude-deficient 5'3", 28 in inseam frame needs all the help it can get.

A Power Commander V with Auto-Tune and the Helibar upper triple clamp made driving the beast into a cozy lamb.

Cheers!