Brand New Bike!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh

Reaction score
Preface: 6 day trip coming up on Tuesday with my buddy and I had just received my new HeliBars triple clamp in the mail...

Since I had to take apart half of the bike to install the new triple clamp, I thought it might be a good idea to take care of a few other things while I was under the "hood". I ended up changing the spark plugs and then I had this crazy idea to find a carb tuner and perform a throttle body sync. I had always read that miracles can happen so I picked up a MotionPro Syncpro Carb Tuner at Cycle Specialties in Cincinnati for $100 and about a half hour later I was on the road and lovin' life! She rides like a completely different bike!! Accelerating and shifting is smooth as silk and the popping I always had on deceleration is gone!! This is definitely money well spent!

On a side note, the new handlebar position is amazing and the install was very easy, thanks to the directions from HeliBars.

Can't wait to hit the road on Tuesday!!!

Josh :yahoo:

I have not yet done the throttle sync but have done the Helihar triple clamp. As you mentioned, the Helibar instructions are first rate. After riding with the Helibar, I would not want to go stock again. The extra height is especially nice if you do the Russell seat as well.

I am EXTREMELY skeptical of all these claims of a TBS curing a laundry list of evils. All you are doing with a TBS is adjustint the idle circuit air bypass. They ONLY affect the smoothness of the idle speed when the throttlebodies are closed.

I have synced my own TBs many a time. Sometimes they are fine to begin with, sometimes they are off and I adjust them. Outside of a smoother idle, I have never noticed any other improvemtents to the operation of the engine.

I am EXTREMELY skeptical of all these claims of a TBS curing a laundry list of evils. All you are doing with a TBS is adjustint the idle circuit air bypass. They ONLY affect the smoothness of the idle speed when the throttlebodies are closed.

I have synced my own TBs many a time. Sometimes they are fine to begin with, sometimes they are off and I adjust them. Outside of a smoother idle, I have never noticed any other improvemtents to the operation of the engine.
I'm with Skooter on this one. Mine gets to runnning bad a new set of plugs make all the difference in the world.

When mine starts running rough, I just think about doing a TBS and it runs smoother. It gets better gas mileage too.

Hows that for placebo effect?

The unauthorized sync'ing at an elevated rpm helps...smooth as buttah...along with new plugs...and an oil change.

Different bike completely. :clapping:

Oh yeah, I forgot...new tires! Yummy. :yahoo:

:lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot...new suspension!!!!...Like a new bike! :p

Where's the best place/price to order a Motion Pro on the net? Got 13k on the Feej now and it's about time for at TBS.

Gary

darksider #44

At slightly over 200,000kms I am still on the orginal TBS I have it sync it generally once a year when I put a new set of plugs in.

Hey why not... you got to raise the tank to get at the plugs.

And oil changes are for wussies... just spin on a new filter one a year :lol:

From the factory my '03 surged annoyingly at steady throttle openings. A TBS at 17,000 and the surging was gone. Now 73,000 and surging has never returned (I have done the TBS twice since the first one). It may not be a cure-all but it can cure at least one thing.

Where's the best place/price to order a Motion Pro on the net? Got 13k on the Feej now and it's about time for at TBS.

Gary

darksider #44

Dont want to hijack..... but I am gonna! Get the Morgan CarbTune. I own both the motion pro and the Morgan and there is no comparison the Morgan is way better. Whew! I am glad I got that off my chest.

When mine starts running rough, I just think about doing a TBS and it runs smoother. It gets better gas mileage too.

Hows that for placebo effect?
I think of how the 2012 FJR1600 is going to fix everything, especially if it comes in the faster blue color.

Dont want to hijack..... but I am gonna! Get the Morgan CarbTune. I own both the motion pro and the Morgan and there is no comparison the Morgan is way better. Whew! I am glad I got that off my chest.

200cs- Can you provide more in-depth reasons for the Morgan over the Motion Pro? Just today I'm thinking that I'm going to invest in this tool, and I'd like to understand why one over the other. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Looks like I'd be ordering a Morgan Carbtune Pro from England for about $100, while I can pick up a Motion Pro at a local shop for the same price.

I've got a good reason not to buy a MotionPro...the seals will dry out. Over a period of three yrs I did my own TBS's and all was well. This spring I was gonna do it again before a trip out west, and I darn near sucked the fluid out of the tubes before shutting it down. Instead of rebuilding the MotionPro, I'm just gonna spend the extra bucks for an electronic one. But of course it's just MHO.