• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Brodie spider harness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for the ground harness - spider bite.

The "Brodie" ground harnesses were / are designed for the Gen2 FJRs (2006 - 2012) which have OEM wiring harness grounding issues through the "Spiders".

According to your intro post, you have a Gen1 2005 FJR.
The Gen1 FJRs (2001-2005) have a different wiring harness and are not nearly as susceptible to the "Spider Bite" condition as the Gen 2s.
Not to say there can't be wiring issues on any vehicle that contains wire. (Looking at you Lucas).

Old fashioned tricycles / bicycles / unicycles / Radio Flyers / soap box racers / skateboards / roller skates / etc. (without batteries) don't usually have wiring problems.

dan

Crystal,
you can make your ground harness fairly easily without connectors. Use 12ga stranded wire, go to each spider and thoroughly clean clean existing wires of oxidtion , twist all wires together and solder the bunch. Insulate using a electrical house wiring cap and tape up the bunch. Daisy chain each spider in line until you have them all connected and then ground the end of the chain to a secure place on the frame or even better, back to the negative side of the battery.
Accomplishes the same thing as the Brodie Harness. If you need a diagram of the fix either PM me or someone here will beat me to it and provide you with it
Best of luck. Dan
Going for a 300 mile ride today before we get beastly hot this coming week

Crystal,
you can make your ground harness fairly easily without connectors. Use 12ga stranded wire, go to each spider and thoroughly clean clean existing wires of oxidtion , twist all wires together and solder the bunch. Insulate using a electrical house wiring cap and tape up the bunch. Daisy chain each spider in line until you have them all connected and then ground the end of the chain to a secure place on the frame or even better, back to the negative side of the battery.
Accomplishes the same thing as the Brodie Harness. If you need a diagram of the fix either PM me or someone here will beat me to it and provide you with it
Best of luck. Dan

As discussed above she has a 2005 Gen I FJR. I don't think I have ever heard on one single 'Spider Bite' problem on the Gen I. I don't think they used those same grounding blocks that caused the problems on the Gen II.

What can cause issues on Gen I and has happened to me several times in the wiring harness main connector having corrosion issues. It is at the front near the steering head. Disconnect, clean and reconnect and all will be well again. Also on Gen I is the possibility of an Ignition Switch issue.

Crystal,
Best of luck. Dan
FWIW, This and the Brodie harness is completely pointless as long as you just remove each Neutral return connector, aka spider, and solder/crimp then insulate the wires at each location. There is No need to add additional GND wiring once the connectors are removed. Existing wiring is well withing spec.

Paul, you are probably correct . However, the OP referenced the Brodie harness and the Brodie harness is a common ground wire returning back to the battery. As Ross mentioned, there have been few, if any known occurrences of spider bites on the Gen 1. The OP is attempting to isolate her loss of battery issue and felt the ground issues might be a good place to start. I agree and I personally would not go to the trouble of tying all grounds together without adding a new, heavier gauge ground wire returning back to the battery, like the Brodie Harness. IMO, the key switch should be suspect on Gen1 and earlier Gen2 bikes that exhibit complete loss of battery.
BTW, I purchased a Brodie Harness from another forum member a couple years back and I was very pleased with the quality of construction and the heavy gauge wire used.
Thanks for your input. Stay safe