Broken Key Question, Number on case lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firepit1x

Reaction score
So when I bought my FJR a couple of years ago it only came with one set of keys and no plastic key number. I immediately bought two blanks and had a local hardware store try and cut them. He was spot on with the ignition key but couldn't cut a working tank/cases key. Sure enough I never tackled my problem again and last night the one and only tank/cases key snapped off in my top case.

My question: I noticed the back of the locking plate on the top case has a four digit number. Will this number be useful in having a yamaha dealer cut me a new key?

I was able to dig the broken key out but the case had to be locked to do that. I was also on my last gallon of fuel so I stuck the broken key into the tank lock and used the other broken end to open the tank so I could at least fuel up. Now I have to dig it out again but at least I got home!

If you know which dealer originally sold the bike call them and see if they have the sales records, if they do they should have the key info. If not, you can try talking to any Yamaha dealer and see if they can get the key info using the VIN. I don't believe the VIN route will be successful but trying is free.

I just checked my bike, none of the numbers on any visible parts of the locks match my key number. I took the latch plate off my unused third lock (top box) and no luck there either. Sorry.

I'm going to stop by a dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I was able to open one side case with the poorly cut key that I had on hand and it has the same stamped code that the topcase has which also matches the stamped code under the gas tank. That 4 digit code must mean something and I'm betting it's the key number or at least a reference number.

I'll let you know what I find out.

my experience: a locksmith quickly and easily pulled out the tank lock and made keys from that which fit the ignition and other locks

the locksmith said the ignition uses 5? pins in the lock and the cases only use 3

The little tag that came on the original key is the ONLY record of your key number. There is a place to write it down on the PDI sheet and in the Owners manual when the bike is new. If it didn't get written down in the Owners manual, you might as well save yourself the trip to the dealer and just visit a locksmith.

Yamaha should be able to track down your key with the VIN. There are probably less than 20 key variations and their records will tell them which one they used on your bike...OR the locksmith.

Either way.

So I made it to the dealer yesterday in Washington Missouri and.....even though the locks on my 07 are clearly marked behind the lock sets he said it's illegal for him or any other dealer to cut a key from that code. I asked him if he was sure about the law or if it was just his dealers policy. He again told me no dealer in Missouri would cut the key. The spare key I did have cut that didn't work....I ground it down a bit to match my broken key more closely. I'm able to open up the side cases with a little wiggle here and there and it opens the seat lock without any issue but it flat out refuses to open my top case so.....

Later this week I'm making calls to some other out of the way Yamaha dealers to get their take on it. I called a lock smith yesterday and he said $90 was the minimum cost and $150 would be the maximum cost out of my problem.

I will let you know what they say......

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a locksmith come to my house and cut two new keys for my horse trailer. $40.

You need to call around more and be sure not to use these "franchise" or 1-800 locksmiths.

Call a local car dealer and ask who they use. I bet many of them use the same guy. He's the one to call!