Broken Mirror Bracket under Fairing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt a in place repair will bring any joy. Welding after removing it and while your at it reinforce it or replace it. The problem is that if you make it to good the next weakest spot will brake I beefed one up on Carver's bike to help with the stress of his shitty road. so far so good.

Ray, the dissasembly and removal process looks daunting to me.

Not saying I can't do it, but..........

Labor on Estimate just about covers my Deductible.

The mirror, clutch lever, left bag lid and left fairing side panel, purchased at a discount, just about eats up the rest of the insurance money.

Fact is that I could have the scratches touched up by a detailer/friend and live with the wounds but am worried about the integrity of the mirror bracket. I straightened the clutch lever and it is almost OK, if I straighten it more with my luck it will break.

May have the adjuster cut the check, have the dealer replace the bracket, though I'm sure none of his guys have any more experience doing it than I do.

Have my buddy touch up the wounds and buy a set of tires with whatever is left over.

Ray, the dissasembly and removal process looks daunting to me.
Not saying I can't do it, but..........

Labor on Estimate just about covers my Deductible.

The mirror, clutch lever, left bag lid and left fairing side panel, purchased at a discount, just about eats up the rest of the insurance money.

Fact is that I could have the scratches touched up by a detailer/friend and live with the wounds but am worried about the integrity of the mirror bracket. I straightened the clutch lever and it is almost OK, if I straighten it more with my luck it will break.

May have the adjuster cut the check, have the dealer replace the bracket, though I'm sure none of his guys have any more experience doing it than I do.

Have my buddy touch up the wounds and buy a set of tires with whatever is left over.
You may be able to temporarily patch it up with epoxy + glass tape, but it wouldn't be all that reliable, imo. If the framework is anything like the Gen II, once you pull the front fairing, you'll see it's not all that complicated -- just a lot of fasteners! If you decide to tackle the repair, with new parts, just take your time, and take lots of pictures during disassembly. Whenever possible, place nuts and bolts in their place on the various components, to obviate at least some of the re-assembly process. With the FSM plus the knowledge bank here, I expect you wouldn't have a huge hassle doing the work yourself. Plus, as you mention - the service techs probably don't have much more experience with this particular repair, and you would be less prone to error, 'cause it's your bike!

Good luck with whatever you choose

Pulling the nose off isn't a big deal once you dig into it. Replacing the front support is going to be (IMO) the best long term solution for the broken bracket. There's a few threads regarding removing the nose for an idea of what you're getting into.

Perfect winter project!

Pic assist:

IMG_20140912_121308_zpsezedhwgi.jpg

--G

It is hard to see in the blurry picture, but can you JB weld the broken pieces in place, then create a U-shaped aluminum splice plate that will be shaped to slip over the mount area?

It is hard to see in the blurry picture, but can you JB weld the broken pieces in place, then create a U-shaped aluminum splice plate that will be shaped to slip over the mount area?
I think so, may be able to fabricate a plate to go on one side or the other to reinforce a repair.

Would like to fix without further disassembly.

May try a shallow v shaped reinforcing plate on the inside JB welded over the repaired crack and located with several self tapping machine screws

Same thing happened to a buddy of mine on his 13 gen 111. We used aluminum strapping, 2 three inch pieces 1inch wide with one piece on each side of the broken bracket, to effectively clamp the broken mount together. We drilled 2 holes, one on each end of the strapping with corresponding holes drilled thru the broken bracket. Then we riveted the straps thru the bracket holes with ss rivets. No welding, glue or anything else nor removing the front fairing. We did remove the side faring for access. A little fiddly but done in about an hour and absolutely rock solid. I have pictures but not with me. Back home end of Sept. If you need pics.

I'll email my buddy and ask him to post the pictures as he is a member here as well. It can be done! Cheers.

This thread has given me reason to be concerned about my intentions of making and using mirror extenders on the second and third gen bikes. The fact that the mirror will not pivot up and away during a drop (like 1st gen and FZ1 mirrors will) means that sub-frame breakage is imminent in the even of a drop. That's a lot of expense for a single whoopsie, IMO. I do not want to be the one hitting up my insurance comprehensive coverage too much or else the premiums will surely sky rocket.

This is a pretty serious flaw in these later model mirror design, IMO. Probably worthy of being addressed by some means. Remember... the F in Farkle is for Function.

Fred I think you have a good point there.

Mine has dropped 3 times, the first two I was situated to hold it up on the canyon cage which prevented the mirror from contacting Terra firma. The third, and by far the most severe drop occurred in the Full Throttle parking lot and my left foot was not in a position where I could try to hold onto the bike at all. She went down and over center on the Canyon Cage.

I'm a little concerned about making a repair and then adding the extensions/lights which will increase the weight and add leverage by lengthening the fulcrum on the repaired bracket.

Still pondering.

Will decide on Monday I'll either call and report and have an adjuster come and inspect while apart or fix it and put it back together.

So, I'm looking at the same problem right now. Been working too much to look closely yet.

I've tried looking for this part with the Yamaha parts fiche diagrams, but can't pin it down.

Anyone have a part # for the broken bracket?

Well after much consideration (procrastination) I decided to manufacture some bracketry and effecrt a repair rather than turn it in to the insurance company.

I found a piece of 1/8" Aluminum Strap and made two brackets.

Drilled and tapped the Stay and installed the brackets using some 1/4" 28 Button head Screws i had from another project. I was able to fit self locking backing nuts on the back side of three of the four screws.

20141028_135023_zpso7mophg0.jpg

20141028_135016_zpsvituxtoi.jpg

The repair seems to be effective, the whole stay moves when you shake on the mirror. Saves me $500 in deductible and it will be interesting to see what will happen should (when) it fall(s) on this side again
not_i.gif

Good work John. When does the assembly line production begin? They can be marketed as both a prophylactic or repair item; I'd say $79.99 plus shipping.

Once again this looks like it will be a recurring issue for the Gen III's. Best you can hope for is not to join the drop club. The other option is FZ1 mirrors.

Good job on the repairs. Most like what I would have done.

Dave