Broken Premier Accessories Rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Understand that:

1. I abused the phuck out of this rack.

2. I overloaded the rack by cutting then placing a heavy chunk of 2" wood, cut to the rack shape, then mounted an older top box.

3. Then I waay overloaded the top box and ran it up and down washboard dirt roads, daily, at speeds over 50 mph.

4. The rack got hit by a stupid BMW guy in a parking lot, although it was only at walking speed.

5. What I am trying to say is do NOT read this post as an insult to Premier Cycle Accessories or the quality of their products. Matter of fact, Duane at PCA is interested in seeing the pix, hopefully with the idea of making a stronger rack. [SIZE=8pt]Maybe out of steel? [/SIZE]

6. On the other hand, I would not use this rack on an Alaska run, YMMV.

7. If anyone starts to flame, I will ask the Admin's to kill and delete this thread. So there.

8. So, if we're clear that this is NOT a flame thread, continue forward to the pix.

View from the backside; notice the left hand side upward bend.

BrokeRack1a.jpg

Fractures across rear and forward mounting points.

BrokeRack2.jpg

Up close view:

BrokeRack3.jpg

Don, when I bought my rack I noticed there was about a 1/2" gap between the rear and the tail piece on the bike and the owner sent me a piece of foam to install under the tail. One could just put their own support under there though. I haven't had any issue's but haven't had to do the washboard roads like you with much use. I agree these are great racks. PM. <>< :D

Don, when I bought my rack I noticed there was about a 1/2" gap between the rear and the tail piece on the bike and the owner sent me a piece of foam to install under the tail. One could just put their own support under there though. I haven't had any issue's but haven't had to do the washboard roads like you with much use. I agree these are great racks. PM. <>< :D
Painman, I did have a spacer under the rack. Look closely, and you'll see the rack has stress fractured in the upward direction.

Latest posts