Bug Cleaners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
(OK, I looked at the options and this seemed to be the best fit, if not please move).

And I did search but didn't find a thread.

Yes, we all know a clean bike is a ghey bike. But that being the case, once in a while you do need or want to reduce the weight you're carrying and improve your aerodynamics by removing bug guts that increase the drag on your bike ;)

Hydrogen Peroxide, diluted (I used 3%) in a squirt bottle because that's all I had, really breaks down the bug guts well. Just squirt liberally, let the peroxide eat away for a minute or two and wipe clean.

If this is a bad idea and I'm not aware of it please speak up.

-MD

Yeah, I'm new to that, too.

I had a couple forum members email me about the peroxide and how well it works on bugs. Oh sure, I was skeptical. First used it on the Wing after a 1,200 mile trip. REALLY nasty windshield... well the whole front of the bike.

Only wish someone would have told me about this 30 years ago. It's amazing how that stuff just foams up and disolves the bugs.

I mix mine about 50/50 with water in a spray bottle. Magic stuff! :yahoo:

Take your wife's best bath towel, soak it in hot water and lay over the buggage. Let stand for 10 mins and wipe the guts off. Go to the store and pick up a dozen roses to hand the missus after you hand her back the towel.

Since it's gentle enough to use on open wounds, I can't see where it would hurt plastic and metal. That stuff was highly recommended in an earlier thread for cleaning radiators. I put that thought aside for love-bug season!

I had heard this and asked a medical professional who also happens to be the great gal that I spend my life with and she said it makes sense as the hydrogen peroxide eats protein. She also says your shield will stay even cleaner if you stay home and mow the lawn instead of going riding all weekend -every weekend. I'm learning to not seek advice too often as it always comes back with a similar type response.

Anybody know if hydrogen peroxide reacts with stainless steel or aluminum. Something in the back of my mind is saying not to use it on stainless steel but that information has long been paged out and I can't remember why.

Hydrogen Peroxide is an oxygenator much like bleach. (it gives off oxygen) Most metals react to oxygen is some way...they "rust" for example. Pure Hydrogen Peroxide would be bad for metal, but as common drugstore bottles are only 2 to 5 % Hydrogen Peroxide, I doubt you'd be able to see a reaction with metals that can oxydize unless you left the solution on for quite a while...(hours to days perhaps)

I have used it right out of the bottle. (3 % solution coomonly used for cuts) on plastic , stainless steel, cast alumium, copper and rubber. Never noticed any reaction other than with organic matter..like bug guts, (or blood) So I would say in the weak solutions it is commonly sold in , it is safe to use on pretty much anything on your bike, as long as you don't soak said part over an extended time.

Hydrogen Peroxide is water with an extra Oxygen molycule H2-02..over time if it sits out in the air , it loses the oxygen and turns to water (H2-O) This is why it is sold in those brown plastic (opaque) bottles, as sunlight breaks the chain and releases the oxygen. So it might be hard getting a reaction over a long period anyway , as it woiuld weaken over time.

KM

Even easier, a Bounce laundry softener sheet. Wet it. I was skeptical, not now. I still wouldn't let the"soap" dry though.

Latest posts