Butt-burn!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you tame the saddlesores??

• Sheepskin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Airhawk

• Bead Rider

• Gel pad

• Other

• Don't ride far enough to make it an issue

• Total voters

Dangerous Dave

The older I get, the faster I was...
Reaction score
I currently have a Sargeant's reworked stock seat on my '04 FJR. I really believe they did a beautiful job on it, but the seating position of the FJR gives me butt-burn after 300 miles or so. After doing 2 consecutive 320 mile days Memorial day weekend, I barely wanted to think about getting back on the bike the next day. This is a huge disappointment to me, as I have no problem doing 600-700 mile days on sportbikes, and I obviously bought the FJR with the intention of doing just that. I think the bike is stellar in every other respect, but a bad case of butt-burn can kill an otherwise great ride.

So now to my question. Those of you who "supplement" your saddle...what do you use? I think Beadrider, Airhawk, and Sheepskin are the biggies, with maybe some gel pads thrown in the mix. So if you're using something atop your saddle, what is it and how would you rate it? Maybe you could also mention how many miles you've done in a day on it.

The wife wants to take the FJR to Tampa sometime soon, and I'm all for that. But if we don't find something to effectively tame the saddlesores, we may want to sell it when we get there and buy airfare home.

So??

I currently have a Sargeant's reworked stock seat on my '04 FJR. I really believe they did a beautiful job on it, but the seating position of the FJR gives me butt-burn after 300 miles or so. After doing 2 consecutive 320 mile days Memorial day weekend, I barely wanted to think about getting back on the bike the next day. This is a huge disappointment to me, as I have no problem doing 600-700 mile days on sportbikes, and I obviously bought the FJR with the intention of doing just that. I think the bike is stellar in every other respect, but a bad case of butt-burn can kill an otherwise great ride.
So now to my question. Those of you who "supplement" your saddle...what do you use? I think Beadrider, Airhawk, and Sheepskin are the biggies, with maybe some gel pads thrown in the mix. So if you're using something atop your saddle, what is it and how would you rate it? Maybe you could also mention how many miles you've done in a day on it.

The wife wants to take the FJR to Tampa sometime soon, and I'm all for that. But if we don't find something to effectively tame the saddlesores, we may want to sell it when we get there and buy airfare home.

So??
Was that any type of ride in, or no?

I got mine redone via a ride in at Rich's in Seattle, and reeled off 700 miles, 500, 0, 200, then 1100 on consecutive days. I'm not going to say I didn't feel it, but it wasn't severe discomfort like I had on the stocker when I had to stop every hour.

Also, consider some UnderArmor boxers for under your pants, and some BodyGlide to avoid friction on your rear when you ride. BodyGlide can be found at some sporting good stores (www.bodyglide.com) - it's like a little deodorant stick of stuff - I use it when I run or hike to avoid blisters and hot spots.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it was ordered over the phone, and via their questionaire type thing. I should probably also mention that I'm a fairly skinny guy without alot of "personal padding", if you know what I mean. For me, the "sportbike" riding position is worlds better...that is, with my feet behind/under me, rather than in front of me. That way, the weight's not all on my butt, and I can use my legs to unweight me from the seat some anyway. I've done many long days on sportbikes and was ready for more. The fairly upright riding position of the FJR just doesn't work well for me, but I want to find a solution...not sell the bike and get something else. I'd also like to NOT spend a fortune on that solution, since the wife and I only do long trips like that a couple times a year. We're fine as-is for the everyday stuff...it's when the going gets tuff................

I installed a gel pad in the seat and also use a sheepskin on top of the seat can now ride about 500 to 600 miles before my butt starts complaining thinking about a Russell also.

No, it was ordered over the phone, and via their questionaire type thing. I should probably also mention that I'm a fairly skinny guy without alot of "personal padding", if you know what I mean. For me, the "sportbike" riding position is worlds better...that is, with my feet behind/under me, rather than in front of me. That way, the weight's not all on my butt, and I can use my legs to unweight me from the seat some anyway. I've done many long days on sportbikes and was ready for more. The fairly upright riding position of the FJR just doesn't work well for me, but I want to find a solution...not sell the bike and get something else. I'd also like to NOT spend a fortune on that solution, since the wife and I only do long trips like that a couple times a year. We're fine as-is for the everyday stuff...it's when the going gets tuff................
I no nothing about how Sargeant handles their seats, but the idea of the custom is to spread the support around. Get more of the sides of your butt and hips to support you, instead of just your "sit bones." I also don't have a lot of padding, but the upright position works well for me with the custom seat. If Sargeant didn't hit the mark for you, maybe you should give them a holler and see if they can make an adjustment - you can't really know how it'll work until you put some miles on it anyways. Can't blame you for not wanting to dump a ton of cash in to it - custom seats can be quite expensive.

I ride with the stock seat and nothing added. I have done an SS1K and frequently ride several hundred miles a day. Maybe it's just a matter of me getting used to the seat as it is, but I have no complaints with it.

I try to keep my hot pepper intake to a minimum.

Also, I move around a lot and my favorite LD position is laying on my tank bag with my legs on the passenger pegs and my feet floating. Like Geezer, I have a stock seat and have done 1K days, regularly do several hundred mile days, all with no complaints.

I move around a lot and my favorite LD position is laying on my tank bag with my legs on the passenger pegs and my feet floating.

That would be a huge help. Unfortunately, it's not do-able when there's a passenger behind you. The FJR isn't really what I would call a "roomy" bike for two-up with luggage on. In fact, I jettisoned the corbin with backrest because I felt like I couldn't move around at all with wifey on back. Instead, I got the stocker redone by Sargeant and added a Garauld backrest. Huge improvement space-wise. The FJR replaced a VTX1800 for me. I tried the cruiser thing and didn't really like it, but I gotta say, that VTX was ROOMY! Besides, if I was riding solo, I doubt I'd have an FJR at all. I'd have something smaller/lighter/sportier. I bought the FJR because I thought it was a way to have my cake and eat it too...that is, something to haul the wife and a bunch of "stuff" along and still be able to sport ride with. It does all that well, but the butt-burn really is the only letdown for me with this bike. That's why I want to find a solution for those two-up LD days. Hence the poll about seating "supplements". B)

Just give up and check out the custom seat threads...

If you think your stock seat sucks, try shaving half of it off and going for a nice short ride... like from Ohio to Cali and back... even if I did take 11 days... + 3 days of not riding in the middle...<BG>..I'm a slowpoke...

Ok, I had a sheepshin on it... the lambskins are MUCH better, anin Napa washed it, all was good, but dried it in the hot sun..end of sheepie!)... the gel pads have EDGES! not much better.... I can sit on my Harley (Mustang, but not for Feegers) for hours but I'm all over wiggling on the FJR... a Corbin is next.. as soon as I cut a half inch off the back end so it will fit with the Givi rack....

Not much help, but I needed to vent...<BG>

Mary

That would be a huge help. Unfortunately, it's not do-able when there's a passenger behind you.
It's do-able but your passenger has to be limber and have a lot of confidence in the trunk as a back support. That being said, I have an adaptor plate on my Givi that puts it a few inches back. My wife wraps her legs around me or put's em on my back....

Hey there Dave!

Here's my .02c for what it's worth. When I ride 2-up, I feel more locked into a single sitting position than when I ride alone. I have no problem doing 600+ mile days when alone, but a 350-400 mile 2-up day has me writhing in pain especially when the majority of riding is droning down the interstate. When I ride alone, I feel obliged to stand up, change seating positions, wiggle or shift weight whenever I feel like it. Riding 2-up, I don't feel like I have that freedom.

I really don't think there is any chair that you can sit on in the exact same position for longer than one hour without starting to feel some discomfort. It's not the seat IMHO, it's the blood flow getting cut off to the arse cheeks.

You might want to try a sheepskin pad. They aren't huge $$ and might provide some relief for you and the mrs.

BTW, I agree with you on the sportbike riding position removing some weight from the old arse. However, how long of a ride have you gone 2-up on that full-sport bike? And, did you just ride it straight down the road or was it on twisty roads where you shifted your weight around a lot? :D

Hope you find a solution. I'd like to hear what it was. I've resigned myself to stopping every 80-100 miles when my wife is with me. That method gives her arse a break too. :)

This is has a simple anwser.... Order a Russell day-long and be done... I have tryed most everything, Dick Mayer, Corbin, Furry seat covers, Air Hawk, stock seat.... The only thing I have found for "ME" is the Day-long. I have had 2 of them, and both took about 3000 mile to feel right, with no hot spots. Give Katie a call and your butt problems will go away... After the seat has been "seated" (3000 miles), you can ride and never think about your rearend... Smitty

That would be a huge help. Unfortunately, it's not do-able when there's a passenger behind you.
It's do-able but your passenger has to be limber and have a lot of confidence in the trunk as a back support. That being said, I have an adaptor plate on my Givi that puts it a few inches back. My wife wraps her legs around me or put's em on my back....
We need pics of this! So are you the gel pad for your wife?

There is a thread running right now on the VFR forum addressing basically the same issue. The guy has a Honda ST and wants to dump it for a VFR because he is not comfortable in the more upright riding postion. For me, I went from a VFR to the FJR and was surprised to find the Yami to not be much more comfortable. Michelle and I still can't do more than 100 miles at a clip on the stock seat without having to stop for a few minutes . Roomwise its fine, its just the butt burn thing.

So??
Try something like these, https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13594-540...ensor-Short.htm This particular pair are kind of expensive, and I wouldn't suspect you would need them, but it gives you an idea. If you get any shorts like this, I'd stay away from the gel padding.

Rick

I really don't think there is any chair that you can sit on in the exact same position for longer than one hour without starting to feel some discomfort. It's not the seat IMHO, it's the blood flow getting cut off to the arse cheeks.
[...]

Hope you find a solution. I'd like to hear what it was. I've resigned myself to stopping every 80-100 miles when my wife is with me. That method gives her arse a break too. :)
A big part of it is the seat. The convex shape of the stock seat does not play nice with the covex shape of a butt. By building up the back of the seat and cutting down the main part, custom seats spread the support around so more work is being done by your "padding" rather than just sitting on your bones.

On my custom seat, I can go 4+ hours in one position fairly easily before I NEED to start moving, but I try to get the jump on that by moving a bit if it's a long ride. On the stocker, I used to have to stop every hour on the back side of a long ride. The UnderArmor/LD Comfort/bike pants are a bigger help than you might think.

We need pics of this! So are you the gel pad for your wife?
yeah I'm the gel pad, the dart board, kind of a catch all :lol: She swears it's by far the most comfortable riding position for her. Says it's like being in a recliner and she has a real concern about falling asleep and falling off. It must be quite a spectacle with her lookin all queenie and me lookin like some kind of door mat. I recall a biker couple passing us once. The gal on the back pointed, waved, and gave us (probably my wife) a thumbs up. The guy apparently refused to look, just shook his head and remained in his MSF approved stick up the butt position and she slapped him and slumped back in apparent disgust. So it's probably not for everyone :lol:

Oh yeah, it makes it easy to trade leg rubs for back rubs. All in all a very pleasant way to ride 2 up :good:

Not sure if they have a web site... but you can email this guy...

He and his wife run their business out of their house in Oz....

But the Triumph riders swear by this guys lambskin covers...

[email protected]

I have a Triumph Speedmaster...

stock seat hard as a brick ( only the Yammy Star seats are harder! ) and it vibrates thru the handlebars so much you're glad you only have 100 mile tank! <BG>

Mary

If by butt-burn you mean the dread monkey-butt, rather than a sore hiny from a hard seat, and you need new riding gear anyway, consider the Rukka brand of riding gear. My mesh suit has a built-in sort of aerated area on the seat, which, well, keeps my butt dry in the heat. I never get monkey butt, on any of my bikes. The suits are expensive, versatile, and expensive.

If you mean your ass gets sore, get a new seat, or try one of the add-ons.