Buying a new seat from Bill Mayer and need your help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
I am riding in to have a new seat put on my 06 FJR and I wanted to give the Bill Mayor seat the node. I am going to order their new Evolution saddle and I wanted to know if you would get the leather or the vinyl? I cut and pasted what Bill said on his website but wanted real world feedback from the guys who had been riding with their custom seats. I will for sure get the heated option for both front and rear passanger. I am leaning towards the basket-weave vinyl but it would not take much to talk me into the leather and money is not that important. I want the most comfortable ride I can get.

Vinyl is the best option for the price conscious rider, or those who prefer a lower maintenance product. Smooth and "basket-weave" (perforated) vinyls are available. Perforated vinyls are not water resistant, and care should be taken to keep the foam from becoming and remaining wet.

There are several advantages to leather. Because it is a natural product, leather "breathes", and remains cooler in summer, warmer in winter. Leather will easily outlast vinyl products if care is taken to maintain it.

Evo_FJR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's 'Mayer' and I prefer the leather. I put vinyl on the Strom when I got it and have had leather on the FJR for 3.5 years. By far - and I mean by-fucking-far - the leather is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more comfy in the heat. Why? It breathes. Rain and water are not an issue if you keep it maintained with a quality leather conditioner (I use Lexol). Both seats are by 'Rocky' Mayer.

Does it cost more? Yup. Is it worth the minor extra cost? Yer damn skippy. I'll prolly be converting the Strom's seat over before long.

Good to know and thanks Twowheelnut. You just talked me into the leather.

I Have a Bill Mayor leather on my 04. has been on there for about 3 years. I apply conditioner every wash and still looks new. and it is alot more comfortable than vinyl. you will make a good choice with leather

The seat in your photo is mine.

Not hailing from Santa Barbara or Lost Angeles, I am "the price conscious rider", and thus opted for the standard basket-weave vinyl. As lowly as it is, it's a vast improvement over the stock seat, especially when you are able to have a 'ride-in' appointment and get the padding adjusted just right!

I wanted basket-weave as it provides better cooling in the heat than the smooth vinyl. Rain is not much of a consideration for me. I rode thru some 90* temps last week, but have yet to experience our 105+* summer weather with the new saddle. Seat did not seem hot, where as the original seat would have been frying my bacon!

However, if I had unlimited green stamps, I too would go for the leather, with all the heaters, bells and whistles too!

S.O. has had a perforated leather Corbin on her sport-touring bike (non FJR -- but Yamaha) for well over 10 years -- and wouldn't want to be without it. It appears to have stood-the-test-of-time well.

I, otoh, have merely a vinyl covering over my Russell Day-Long (front only). The difference in seat design is so advantageous (over stock -- for me) that any extra benefits just weren't thought to be needed -- and has proven to be so.

'HtRJack': However, if I had unlimited green stamps, ....

Latest posts