Buying tires - load index and speed number

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
Folks, I'm going to buy a set of Michelin PR2s and noticed that the tires specified for my '08 are of a certain load and speed index (in bold,red below).

Front Tire 120/70 ZR17M/C (58W)

Rear Tire: 180/55 ZR17M/C (73W)

But- looking on line at tire sellers, it looks like these values are not included when you make a size selection. Is it such that these tires are always a certain load index and speed number based on the size? Or do I need to make sure to specify these codes when I order?

By the way - I just learned a lot at Wikipedia on tire codes. :clapping:

Grazi,

Scott

I had the same questions when I was putting replacement tires on. I was taking my track day tires off of my R1 and putting them on my FJR. Seemed like a good way to use up tires since the edges were pretty far gone after a couple track days and my riding on the FJR would wear the middles. Seems kinda funny to have race tires on a FJR, but it's worked out pretty well. I just have to make sure they're warmed up before I corner too hard. I've got 24,500 miles on it and haven't bought new tires for it yet.

The big question I had was load rating, since the FJR is so much heavier. But the stock tires and my track day tires both had "load range b" so I figured i was safe that way. The speed ratings, however, can be different for the same size tire.

Is it such that these tires are always a certain load index and speed number based on the size? Or do I need to make sure to specify these codes when I order?
I think you've hit pretty close to the mark. Unless you're going to be running near 800+ pounds max on the rear (as in a 73 rating)...I wouldn't worry about it. I also would expect a tire in those sizes to be the same load spec or maybe + or - within a range or two.

If it concerns you that much then you should dig through the tire manufacturers websites and "fitment guides" to confirm. Michelin's says the PR2 works on the FJR...so to me that's more than enough verification to me. If not, it also lists 73 and 58 respectively for PR2 tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it concerns you that much then you should dig through the tire manufacturers websites and "fitment guides" to confirm. Michelin's says the PR2 works on the FJR...so to me that's more than enough verification to me. If not, it also lists 73 and 58 respectively for PR2 tires.
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! The Michelin website does show this information. I swear I looked and could not find any specs on the Michelin website. But tis there:

Michelin Website

Thanks!