Cal-Sci Windscreen (Pic)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice Rumble

Reaction score
I just purchased a Cal-Sci medium for an '06 and it arrived today. I kept thinking it looks different, then I realized it doesn't have a vent. Do they sell screens without the vent? I was under the impression that they all had them and that was what made them great, by reducing back pressure.

IMG_9527.jpg

FJR06ws1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was an XT, I'd trade ya straight across. I've taped my vent over because it causes an annoying whistle. I have an 07 and don't notice any back pressure with the vent closed.

The latest batch of Mediums made is a slightly newer design and doesn't have the vent.

I have had both and the one with the vent let in a lot of rain. It seems to make no difference otherwise.

I have an early Med. for my '06 and it has a much smaller vent than the picture on the web site. It doesn't whistle or let in rain that I can tell but maybe they decided to eliminate it altogether. Shield works perfect for me.

I just received an email from Mark at Cal-Sci regarding the Medium screen.

"We've recently made some minor changes to the medium shield - no more vent, just a bit wider at the top. We've found these make a very slight improvement in noise and turbulence for most of our customers. The tall and larger shields still have vents, 'cause they need them.

I haven't updated the web page yet to state this. We still have a couple of the vented models in stock."

So that explains it. They have made an upgrade to the medium.

If you want a vent, consider doing what I did on my '04 FJR, which has a +4/+4 Cee Bailey windscreen. I ordered a GL1800 GW adjustable plastic airvent for around $50, used a Dremel cutting tool to cut the approximate 3"x8" rectacular opening in the lower part of the windscreen and installed the airvent. The installation went great, it looks like a factory done job. One of the best farkles I've done, the airflow thru the vent almost totally eliminated the backpressure and wind buffeting and significantly reduced wind noise. I can close the vent for those times (like in the rain) when I don't want the airflow. It looks great and works great, I love it.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

I stopped by Calsci today. After our morning ride today, OrangevaleFJR took JoyfulGirl's FZ-6 there to see if Mark could make a 'shield for her bike and I rode along. I had talked with Mark before and he let me put an XT on my '05 and take it for a ride.

Unbelieveable difference! Absolute silence...my test ride was without earplugs, something I've had to wear since buying the '04 in Aug. '03. I've tried the infamous "AHAMAY" windshield (oversize OEM for the '04), Laminar Lip, 3 different styles of Cee Bailey's (flip, no flip, +2 and +4 height), Skyway's spacers (to replace my home-made version) and I've never been able to get a "cone of silence" on the FJR without laying over the tank bag......until today.

We had wind gusts up to 35 mph in Sacramento today, so I want to go back next week and try it in "no wind" conditions to make sure. But as of now, this is the only windshield that has ever let me ride my FJR without wind-noise or head buffet. I will tell you that I tested the Calsci XT windshield at different surface street speeds and at highway "+" speeds (Er, uhm...on a private test track. :blink: ), with the wind, against the wind and in crosswind. It looks like Mark has been able to find the "windshield nirvana" that I had become convinced was never to be discovered.

If it is as good as I think when there isn't the wind to contend with...I'll be riding home with a new windshield. One major problem...the Holeshots will have to come off. With no wind noise, they're waaay too loud!