Cal-Sci Windshield Vents

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian T

Reaction score
I recently bought a used 2006 FJR with a Cal-Sci tall windshield. On a recent trip in light rain I got quite a bit of road grime on the tack and speedometer. I'm going on a long cross country trip this summer and I'm concerned about getting excessive water on my instruments, gps, xm radio, and tank bag. Does anyone have any experience with this shield in heavy rain? Are there any plugs to use instead of tape if I want to cover it over? I'm mentally exploring the VStream but there does not appear to be much experience with this shield yet.

Thanks,

Brian in Denver

I have the CalSci medium. I've only rode less than 2 hrs at a time in heavy rain (and snow last week, Utah) & only get a few drops thru, very little moisture to RD,phone, sat radio, & GPS if you keep speed up. If it becomes a problem just tape the hole. I put the RD in a baggie sometimes since it has no resistance to moisture built in. Anyone else ?

I have the CalSci medium. I've only rode less than 2 hrs at a time in heavy rain (and snow last week, Utah) & only get a few drops thru, very little moisture to RD,phone, sat radio, & GPS if you keep speed up. If it becomes a problem just tape the hole. I put the RD in a baggie sometimes since it has no resistance to moisture built in. Anyone else ?
Yeah, what he said. My CalSci Tall doesn't pass a large amount of water provided you keep moving. RD is either put in baggie or stowed (don't need to worry about exceeding the posted limit in heavy rain) until things settle down. I cut similar holes in my stock windscreen and enjoy less turbulence now even when it's warm.

I'm using a Givi +1 flip with the old style Cal Sci 2 holes & have been using it for 3 seasons now without any problems in inclement weather at all.....so maybe it is speed related....

If you are concerned, get some heavy vinyl (Like the stuff that stick on sunshades are made of) and cut your own covers for the holes. A little water or saliva and they should stay on the outside of the 'shield, plus they'd be easily removed when the weather is clear andyou want the extra fresh air that lowers the back pressure-turbulence.

It was my understanding that because of the change in design to the fairing/windscreen on the 2006 model (and 07) that the "holes in the windscreen" ala Cal Sci were not needed. 05 models and older seemed to benifit from allowing more air in under the shield, but the 06-07 design with its front vent made this unesseccary.

That said, it would seem that if you did have vent holes in your sheild on your 06-07 FJR you would be getting not only more air ..but more rain.

Are folks using these vented shields on the 06-07 really noticing a big diffrence compared to non vented screens?

I have a 4+4 Cee Baily (with no vents) and notice no turbulance..

KM