Calling all Gamrin users

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
There are a number of GPS related threads here, but few center around my specific questions. So with that disclaimer :unsure: I am seeking your help.

Currently , I'm using a Garmin Streepilot C330. For the most part, the C330 works well. However, my gripes center around several deficiencies.

1) Map Source SUCKS!!! Why can't Garmin make something like MS Street & Trip? Moreover syncing ready-made maps has been next to impossible.

2) No Bluetooth. I would like to recieve & send calls. Ideally bluetooth from cell phone to GPS; Wired from GPS to Autocom (I'm assuming the GPS serves as the touch screen for placing calls...is this correct?).

3) Currently my phone serves as the MP3 player, but I lack control of volume and skip features as it is located in the glovebox. I would prefer the GPS to have those controls.

4) I would like to hear Suzy (the name my wife gave the GPS) tell me where to go.

I believe #'s 3 & 4 are sufficiently answered for the Zumo and Nuvi (correct me if I'm wrong); however, how about #'s 1&2?

Are those concerns sufficiently rectified by the Nuvi 760 and/or the Zumo 550 platforms? Which one is better? I'm not too concerned about waterproofing as I just slip a Zip lock a baggie over it and tie-wrap it at the bottom. Never had any problems with the C330.

How is the Motorcycle mount for the Nuvi? I assume its a RAM? Any problems or concerns?

As stated above, my mind was originally bent on the 550. Other than being motorcycle friendly (waterproof and moto mount) what advantages are there over the Nuvi 760?

Thanks for your insights.

Sport

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you already know that Nuvi isn't intended for bikes . . .

Yes, you dial and such from the screen. I have a stem nut ram ball to mount my Zumo . .. works just great and costs about a third of what people get ripped off for the Techmount.

Mapsource works well enough for my purposes - then I am a techie. Want to hear your navigator (music and/or directions and the phone) while on the bike? Get an Autocom system.

Nuvi 760 comes with the traffic receiver, has a widescreen display and FM modulator. You can get the MSN Direct receiver if you want as an option.

Zumo 550 comes with dual docking stations and a fuel gauge that knows which mount is is installed in. It has a huge tracklog.

I prefer the 276c series, but you don't get the Bluetooth in that series.

Geez, I think the "not being waterproof" would be enough to cross the Nuvi off your list. It rains outside. And as someone who has used a zip-lock baggie tied off over gadgets on the bike -- that's a serious PITA and will fail when you need it most. Don't settle for a crummy solution like that. You might also want to check how easy is it to use the nuvi with gloves on. But, seriously, why would you buy a unit not made for bikes when the company has spent a significant amount of time engineering a unit for them?

Back to #1: There's freeware out there to convert MS Street & Trip stuff to files you can then upload to the zumo (or any other Garmin GPS) or even into Mapsource. Google GPSU.

#2: That set-up should work with the zumo. I don't use it myself, lots of people do. Go to the zumo forum (https://www.zumoforums.com/) and search on autocom. Tons of good advice. If your phone supports voice commands, that'll work too. The contact list on your phone is automatically transferred to the zumo (probably the nuvi too), so it's a one button dial deal.

And regarding #4: I use the Brit voice. Her name is Emily. ;)

Can only andwer two: I have a cheaper Nuvi and use a ram mount for it and for being as simple as it is, it is pretty secure. My Nuvi uses the flip up antenna and since the 700 series does not have this, I think I would try an Aquabox from Ram Mount. This would be the mount and waterproofing all in one. to hear my Nuvi, I use some ear phones, I built an adapter so I could listen to my ipod and Nuvi at the same time. When I need to add phone and comm then I will check out starcom or something.

Seems like an easy question to me. Get a Zumo 550. does or can be made to do all you want. No brainer really. Good support group at https://www.zumoforums.com/

I have mine with XM radio and traffic/weather, a gig of MP3's and bluetoothed to my phone via my Scala headset. You just can't beat Garmin for GPS devices to begin with, and the Zumo was designed for use on a bike. Only the Tom Tom rider 2 could be considered it's competition.

(it's big selling point is it comes with a Scala rider headset ...for the near the same price of just the Zumo )

KM

Seems like an easy question to me. Get a Zumo 550. does or can be made to do all you want. No brainer really. Good support group at https://www.zumoforums.com/

I have mine with XM radio and traffic/weather, a gig of MP3's and bluetoothed to my phone via my Scala headset. You just can't beat Garmin for GPS devices to begin with, and the Zumo was designed for use on a bike. Only the Tom Tom rider 2 could be considered it's competition.

(it's big selling point is it comes with a Scala rider headset ...for the near the same price of just the Zumo )

KM
No need for a Scala as I'm using Autocom. Being raised in Aviation I see Garmin as the leader in GPS and am reluctant in considering other vices. No need for XM radio or weather, but would like MP3 and Blutooth capabilities. The Nuvi is a posibility simply because it can do what the Zumo can (w/ better reception) for a considerably reduced price. Although the Waterproof should be a MAJOR factor, I've used the Streetpilot c-330 in hour+ long downpoors and the baggie works flawlessly...albiet a bit ghetto. I don't want price to be the factor, but when weighing in the pro's and con's, I'm trying to prioritize my wants.

Your advice and suggestions are valuable in helping to make that decision.

Keep them coming.

Thanks

I have the Nuvi 660. I use it in the car and on the FJR. Not the best unit for either one.

You're right the Mapsoure software really sucks. Any construction updates or changes in exits made in the last 3 or 4 years don't show up. In some areas if you follow the voice prompts you'll miss the exit. I've had several backroads that don't even show up. I keep it updated at Garmin website but they haven't updated the mapping software.

Yes you can covert Microsoft Streets files to work but you shouldn't have too. For the price it should have something that already works.

Bluetooth and MP3 player are ok. The phone book from my Razar phone shows up on thr 660's screen just touch the screen to call. I use ear buds and a small mic mounted in my helmet. Also look at how it mounts I had a hard time finding away to mount mine on the bike. The 660 power plug and mic plug into the mount not the unit itself which forces you to use a Garmin mount. Make sure your phone will work with the unit before you buy it. Check Garmin's web site.

I hate the ##$%%^+ thing. I wouldn't buy another Nuvi or Garmin product.

I know you're looking at the 760 but if it's anything like the 660 I'd look elsewhere.

I've got a Nuvi 750, the Ram mount is all of $10.00. I got the Nuvi as a Christmas present, it works OK but if I had to buy one I would buy a Zumo. The Zumo being waterproof and the ability to lock the Zumo to the bike are great advantages. I have to pop the Nuvi from it's mount every time I go in somewhere.

I have a Nuvi, and I won't address the problems that others have, but another drawback to the Nuvi is that the screen isn't bright enough in direct sun. Although I have never used the Zumo, I hear that it is better. Food for though anyways . . .

I'm running the Zumo 550.

They tell me it's not for the tech minded.

That's good, because I'm not tech minded at speed. :blink:

So far, it has worked (on both bike and in truck) as advertised.

The cost of anything is always subjective.

I think the zumo 550 is as good as it gets for Motorcycle navigation units available today. I don't think the Tom Tom Rider 2, even with the latest updates can be compared to the zumo. Garmin offers a lot more with the zumo. Having said that, the zumo certainly isn't without it's faults and of course MapSource could be better. If you're going purchse something today, the zumo with MapSouce is about as good as it gets. There is some off-road software for Europe only that looks pretty good but I suspect that won't help you much.

I have seen the Zumo 550 in action and it is amazing!! It's on my list of things to buy!

You mentioned aviation so I'll make a suggestion. If you'd like to multipurpose your GPS for both bike and plane (or helicopter in my case), the Garmin GPS396 or 496 is tops. Large screen easily readable in bright sunlight, XM weather (overlaid radar, satellite, METAR, TAF, winds, etc), XM radio, air/land/marine databases (all at the same time if you want), using Jeppesen and CitySelect. I have mine stem-mounted with a Techmount and the XM antenna on the brake reservoir. Both are easily removed to stow or take to the plane/copter/car/boat. No cell or MP3 but I use an iPhone for that and have an Autocom, due to arrive tomorrow, to integrate the two. If you are looking for only a dedicated bike GPS, Zumo is the way to go.

You mentioned aviation so I'll make a suggestion. If you'd like to multipurpose your GPS for both bike and plane (or helicopter in my case), the Garmin GPS396 or 496 is tops. Large screen easily readable in bright sunlight, XM weather (overlaid radar, satellite, METAR, TAF, winds, etc), XM radio, air/land/marine databases (all at the same time if you want), using Jeppesen and CitySelect. I have mine stem-mounted with a Techmount and the XM antenna on the brake reservoir. Both are easily removed to stow or take to the plane/copter/car/boat. No cell or MP3 but I use an iPhone for that and have an Autocom, due to arrive tomorrow, to integrate the two. If you are looking for only a dedicated bike GPS, Zumo is the way to go.

Thanks for the suggestion copterchief.

My aviation days are long gone as its been nearly 10 years since I last A&P'd/flown them. My wife now flies for a regional airline and no longer has a need for one either. My comment was just to narrow my suggestion down to Garmin. I am again leaning towards the Zumo, though the price of the Nuvi 760 is good.

Thanks again.

Does the Nuvi 7xx support routes like the Zumo? I know the lower end Nuvi models do not.

For the Zumo you can design a specific turn-by-turn route using mapsource. The route can include dozens or hundreds of waypoints. Load that route into the Zumo and it will give you turn-by-turn directions to stay on that exact route. Stray off the route and it will guide you back to the point of departure. This is just the ticket for a motorcycle, where you want to ride specific roads to your destination. I know the Nuvi 3xx models don't support this.

- JimY

Does the Nuvi 7xx support routes like the Zumo? I know the lower end Nuvi models do not.
For the Zumo you can design a specific turn-by-turn route using mapsource. The route can include dozens or hundreds of waypoints. Load that route into the Zumo and it will give you turn-by-turn directions to stay on that exact route. Stray off the route and it will guide you back to the point of departure. This is just the ticket for a motorcycle, where you want to ride specific roads to your destination. I know the Nuvi 3xx models don't support this.

- JimY
Jim,

This is probably the strongest reason why I like the Zumo (not the only reason). This is a good question. I would have assumed that Nuvi, being a Garmin product, would also use Mapsource.

I have a 760 but have not yet used it on the bike, yet, but it's great for the car. I used a Streetpilot for years and just got the 760 for christmas, I didn't realize what a difference it would be.

Now I have an FJR (1 month new owner) I'm looking into fitting it on the bike once I get some higher priority farkles sorted out, but I don't plan to use the bluetooth. I'm a little dissappointed with the bluetooth connectionin the car anyways. The mic on the 760 is the big problem, it's just weak.

I'm also dissappointed with the traffic, not with the 760 which has great traffic features, but the reliabililty of the traffic services overall. It's almost like relying on the radio for those helocopter warnings, there usually too late or haven't been registered yet. It wouldn't be a factor in my next GPS purchase.

The Garmin Zumo 550 uses CityNavigator which is a MapSource product. It also has "auto sort multiple destinations", "route avoidance", and "custom points of interest" which are great for touring. It's also compatible with MADMAPS which is pretty cool (www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/services/scenicroutes).

The Garmin Zumo 550 uses CityNavigator which is a MapSource product. It also has "auto sort multiple destinations", "route avoidance", and "custom points of interest" which are great for touring. It's also compatible with MADMAPS which is pretty cool (www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/services/scenicroutes).
City Navigator is the underlying map and Mapsource is the map manipulation program.
All of the navigators (GPSMAP276/376/378/498/396/496/296/Nuvi/C/i/Zumo and the handhelds) use the product.

The Nuvi doesn't officially have tracklogs.

GPSMAP has the distinction of being able to have proximity POIs entered without the need for a computer.

Latest posts